Mentally struggling

chrissy_1987
chrissy_1987 Posts: 56 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I restarted my weight loss journey in January this year. I've not long moved into my own home with my partner, so now I have full control of my food intake (previously my in laws cooked all our meals), rejoined a gym, and I also got a (new) Fitbit since I lost my old one in the move!

I've been here many times before, the weight loss journey. But this is the longest I've ever stuck with it. Some days I feel proud, others I look in the mirror and feel disgust. This is evidently one of those times.

I bought new swimming costumes (online) for a beach holiday in June, and trying them on has made me feel awful. I'm so self conscious of my stomach, but now I feel self conscious of ALL of me. I don't want it to ruin my holiday, but it's not something I'm going to be able to fix beforehand. I'm 2stone 5lbs lighter than when I started in January, but I can't see it. My aim was to have lost 4 stone by June, but I don't think ill hit that. And that's fine. I'm happy just losing. But I want to not feel awful on holiday.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. It's not something anyone else can even fix

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Are you locked in to going to the beach, or could you change your plans? Maybe a cabin in the woods and go hiking, or a city trip with visits to museums and parks?
  • chrissy_1987
    Beach holiday booked and paid for. I wanted to go in September, by which point I would weigh a lot less. But this was the only time I could go
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    If it helps- most people don't look at others in their suits and judge. Some do- but you're on holiday, do they matter, and will you see them again?
  • lindymacl
    lindymacl Posts: 15 Member
    There will be much fatter people on the beach than you. And you will never see these people again. Have a wonderful holiday.xx
  • talexander010
    talexander010 Posts: 2 Member
    For one , be proud of how far you made it . I've lost 80 lbs and I'm still not completely satisfied with myself , you have those days until you get where you want to be . What I do is go back and look at pictures of the past . In the beginning I didn't notice my weight loss but everyone told me . Take pictures and gonna keep and look back at them , you will notice the difference .
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Go have fun! Who cares what size you are
  • chrissy_1987
    Thanks everyone! I know I shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, but unfortunately this is me to an absolute tee. Stems from deep seated issues with my mother I believe, and I've been the same ever since. My other half is the polar opposite, so I'm slowly learning to become more like him!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    I have a swimdressand it is very cute. It covers my stomach and the upper thigh area which is what I'm most self conscious about. Enjoy your holiday and don't focus on your body focus on making great memories.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Lose what you can ahead of the holiday, you might not make it to goal, but you should feel proud of every lb you lose. You're already over half way to your goal, anything between now and then will only bring you that much closer.

And as others have said, you don't know these people and you won't see them again, go on that beach with your head held high and enjoy yourself!
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Some people cannot even afford to go on a beach holoday, bcs they have no leave/no money/ cannot leave their family and million other reasons. Just try and enjoy the trip and be aware of what you have and not of what you don't have.
  • Just go hard with exercise the following two months. If you go hard, tou will strengthen your mentality, and what others think may not be a problem anymore, AND you'll look better :smile:
  • chrissy_1987
    Just go hard with exercise the following two months. If you go hard, tou will strengthen your mentality, and what others think may not be a problem anymore, AND you'll look better :smile:

I can't go as hard as I would like due to long standing back issues (sciatica) but I'm trying my best, I've upped my walking :) definitely need to start lifting though! Strengthen everything haha
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2017
    I used to feel really awkward and self-conscious in swimmers at the beach/pool. The only way I got past it was desensitisation: basically, keep going regularly and get used to the feeling of having all the normally covered/disguised bits out for public viewing. (I should add: I'm only getting out and about in a 1 piece, not even a bikini, but that's how shy I am about some of my body parts.) Tough work but it gets easier!

Cmtigger and lindlmacl are right: people may see you in passing but they're not judging you. Smile, head up, and get the problem bits out regularly before your holiday, then when you get to your beach holiday, you won't notice as much. Have a great holiday!!
  • chrissy_1987
    Timberla82 wrote: »
    I used to feel really awkward and self-conscious in swimmers at the beach/pool. The only way I got past it was desensitisation: basically, keep going regularly and get used to the feeling of having all the normally covered/disguised bits out for public viewing. (I should add: I'm only getting out and about in a 1 piece, not even a bikini, but that's how shy I am about some of my body parts.) Tough work but it gets easier!

Cmtigger and lindlmacl are right: people may see you in passing but they're not judging you. Smile, head up, and get the problem bits out regularly before your holiday, then when you get to your beach holiday, you won't notice as much. Have a great holiday!!

I like this advice a lot! I think it is more a case of the fact that I have by seen myself in a swimming costume in maybe 5 years. I've taken photos of myself in the offending item, and I'm planning on going swimming to feel more comfortable in it! :)