Disconnected..

Options
Does anyone else feel disconnected from their weight loss? The scale says I have lost 31 pounds and the measuring tape shows that I have lost inches. I've been following my diet, exercising every day, and lost 2 pants sizes but I don't feel any different or smaller.

Replies

• BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Interesting thought.

Today is the first day I've "connected" but until I read your post, didn't think of it in that way.

I got into an old pair of 36" waist 501's before putting a lightweight coat on that I haven't worn over the winter and thought, "this fits me better".

Unlike you, it gave me a real boost. I hope you'll get a similar feeling soon (and I'm sure you will).

People are strange. Or as they say around these parts, "There's nowt as queer as folk". I mean that in a nice way.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for our heads to catch up with our changing bodies :smile:

Well done on your loss so far :smile:
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ya I'm there as well. Im down 35 lbs. I know there is a difference but I don't see it so much. When I'm feeling like that I take some progress pics and line them up next to my initial starting pics. Thats when I usually can see the difference.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you still have a lot of weight to lose I know for me when I first started losing weight I was excited but I didn't feel skinny yet . Now that I'm closer to my goal a few pounds here and there actually make a much bigger difference.
  • jedandme
    jedandme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    daves05 wrote: »
    Do you still have a lot of weight to lose I know for me when I first started losing weight I was excited but I didn't feel skinny yet . Now that I'm closer to my goal a few pounds here and there actually make a much bigger difference.
    Yes I do I am down 31 pounds but I still have 57 to go. Last time I lost weight before I got pregnant with my daughter I didn't feel it until I was about 20 pounds lighter than I am now...

• jedandme
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Ya I'm there as well. Im down 35 lbs. I know there is a difference but I don't see it so much. When I'm feeling like that I take some progress pics and line them up next to my initial starting pics. Thats when I usually can see the difference.
    Yes that is what I do too :) I see it when I look at the pictures but not looking in the mirror/looking down at myself.
  • jedandme
    Options
    BeauNash wrote: »
    Interesting thought.

Today is the first day I've "connected" but until I read your post, didn't think of it in that way.

I got into an old pair of 36" waist 501's before putting a lightweight coat on that I haven't worn over the winter and thought, "this fits me better".

Unlike you, it gave me a real boost. I hope you'll get a similar feeling soon (and I'm sure you will).

People are strange. Or as they say around these parts, "There's nowt as queer as folk". I mean that in a nice way.

Congrats! I know that is a huge accomplishment :)
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jedandme wrote: »
    BeauNash wrote: »
    Interesting thought.

Congrats! I know that is a huge accomplishment :)

Oh I know. I was strutting around today, I can tell you. ;););)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds many different times, 50 pounds a few different times, 60 pounds. And I never feel thinner. I think a big part of the problem is I am wearing the same clothes. The pants or capris all have a stretch waist and the tops are roomy. No one has ever noticed, even after the 60 pound loss. So I am disconnected and probably that could be one of the reasons I always gain back my weight.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jedandme wrote: »
    daves05 wrote: »
    Yes I do I am down 31 pounds but I still have 57 to go. Last time I lost weight before I got pregnant with my daughter I didn't feel it until I was about 20 pounds lighter than I am now...

31 pounds is awsome! Keep up the good work.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    took me 65 to see a difference in myself...and now that im at 90 lost i feel 235 again xD
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I go between I'm a fat *puppy* and I've lost over 80 lbs. I know what the scale says, what my clothes say (wife went through my shirts and is throwing out 2/3rds of them), but some day I still feel like 330 lbs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think it's connected to the "I'm not that old" part of our brains too.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    We all go through the same process. we're so used to seeing the fat person in the mirror even though you're changing you're going to be the last one to recognize it.

To put things in perspective January 2016 my weight was 288. September 2016 I drop down to 208. I've maintained there for approximately eight months.

In November I walked into the bathroom in a big box store and I caught my reflection in the mirror and my first reaction is what the hell is wrong with that mirror I look funny then I realized it it's the new me. I still go through this same issue with clothes for somebody who used to wear a 48 or 50 inch waist I'm now 34 or 36. I went to get fitted for a new suit and the guy told me I had to get fitted for an ultra slim cut that was a big wake-up call.

We are our own worst critic and you will be the last one to finally see your weight loss.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @150poundsofme That would be so disheartening. Consider buying at least one new (to you) outfit when you lose 20-30 pounds. Seeing the change in size could be the incentive that keeps you progressing.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70, gone down in clothing size but still feel the same size. My sagging skin, especially neck have made me unbelievably self conscience. Still a 100 to go. Ugh.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same.. ive not lost as much (only 22lb) but I just don't see it. I keep having people tell me they can see the difference but I don't. Plus I didn't do a 'before' picture so nothing to compare. My clothes still fit, maybe a little more comfortable but not a size down. I've had a few off days but trying to keep on track.
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am down 50 pounds from my heaviest. Back then I didn't feel that big. I actually feel bigger now :neutral:
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Down a bit over 50lb (around 26kg) and I dont feel smaller or different tbh but I do realize that I do critizice myself a lot more.

I guess before it was just like "oh well Im fat, duh" and now its "oh I can lose a little more here and there and that needs to look better".

And Im pretty sure once Im down to my goal weight Ill still need to do a lot of shaping to be somewhat happy.