Battling PCOS

Options
I was diagnosed with pcos when I was about 19 years old, and of course what doctors told me to do is lose weight, which is the one thing I didn't "feel like" doing. Now, I'm 27, and thinking about kids...and wishing I had done something about it much sooner! At my heaviest, about 5 years ago, I was so close to 300 lbs (292), it shocked the hell out of me, and I lost 50 lbs...and then stopped (and eventually gained, weighing again at 274). At this point in my life, I've got something else pushing me and I can't stop again. What seems to be helping is making small goals. First goal was being under 250 (smashed it!). Now, I'm working toward being under 230 (5 lbs to go!). It seems so much "easier" when I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight at a time. Ultimately, I do not have a weight goal, my goal is to be a mother. Whatever weight that ends up being, I will be happy with. I certainly feel a whole hell of a lot better, and I can only see it getting better from here.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome! I don't have PCOS, but DO have endometriosis. Losing weight worked wonders for the pain I was in, and I feel so much better at a normal weight! Like you, I spent my weight loss journey setting (and crushing) smaller goals. They made it so much easier to stick to plan. It's easy to get discouraged if you have a huge goal that you feel like is going to take for.ever. to accomplish. Those smaller goals are key - they help you realize that you ARE accomplishing your goals. The one large goal is just going to take some time.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in to tell you that you CAN do this (you already know you can), and we're rooting for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Monique_2
    Monique_2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 and it wasn't easy for me in the beginning. But now I'm doing things that I never thought I'd be doing, my husband and I are at the gym everyday always pushing each other. I just went for my follow-up on Monday, I am now down 42lbs!!! Good luck on your journey girl, PCOS shouldn't keep us falling backwards...but help us push forward.
  • 0melas
    0melas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm just now starting on my weight loss journey after being diagnosed with PCOS. Do any of you lovely people have any tips on getting started with healthier eating/exercise that may benefit PCOS specifically?
  • SheriZ52
    SheriZ52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was just diagnosed with PCOS this last Thursday. Hubby and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years now. Had all the tests done and the conclusion is PCOS. I'm at my highest weight ever 222. UGH! Awhile back I lost over 20 pounds by just watching my diet and started watching my steps with a fitbit. I fell off the wagon after I stopped taking my birth control to get pregnant and gained all my weight back plus more. My GYN-OB doctor suggested small goals such as 5 lbs or a 10 lb loss could even help. I have read that a Low carb & dairy free diet can help with PCOS. I'm looking into counting carbs as I'm having some insulin resistance going on. This is my first day back logging. Stay strong ladies!!
  • Mi_bell007
    Mi_bell007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also thinking about having children and I'm almost 27. I don't have PCOS but I'm here to tell you to never give up. You got this! <3
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Weight loss will definitely help but the doctor also put me on metformin after checking my fasting insulin level. Not glucose level like doctors normally check which has always been normal for me. Checking fasting insulin level it showed that I insulin resistance related to my PCOS. It's not the same as diabetes so don't think it is.

Feel free to add/message me if you would like
  • misschaddy20
    misschaddy20 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have Pcos and gave birth 5 months ago to a healthy baby boy, it is possible, when i was over weight well a size 24, i couldnt. I fell pregnant with my son Levi at 115 kilos :)
    I got diagnosed with Pcos at 14, and had it since, Also.. Try this medication, this also helped in getting rid of the cysts, Its called Metformin, aids in weight loss and if you eat right on the meds, it gets rid of the cysts. I had 45 cysts, i now only have 3 :) Had a natural sort of complicated birth... But that was his fault!

Dont give up ladies xxxx
  • kittapillar
    kittapillar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm here to lose 100lbs. Although I have not been formally diagnosed my doctors believe I have endometriosis. I've been suffering for a few years now. I'm 25 and currently at my highest weight. Since carefully monitoring my food intake and paying attention to my body, I have been feeling better. I'm motivated to get my health in line. I know we can do this!!! Feeling motivated.
  • gavlewis23
    gavlewis23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife was diagnosed with PCOS in her teens. She got upwards of 350 lbs before we met. She had gastric bypass surgery and lost like 180-200 lbs. We had our son last August (2016). We still struggle with her weight. Exercise had never been a part of her routine. Plus she suffers from chronic leg pain. It is a tough road to be sure. She's had more support than a lot of folks, so I can only imagine your struggle. You're not alone. As a teacher we are taught to have and promote SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realist, Timely goals). I do the same for fitness. Saying, "I'm going to lose 90 lbs" is one thing. But saying, I'm going to lose lbs by the end of the month is much better. Keep with it. Get your support group together. I'm at the point where I feel like I need a sponsor for foodies anonymous! Someone I can call and say "Bill, they're serving strawberry shortcake! What did I do?!!!" So trust and believe me when I say friends can help. Bless you and good luck on your goals.
  • ProgressNotPerfectionIAmEnough
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with PCOS at nineteen. I was not overweight at the time. I unexpectedly got pregnant around eight years later. I had gained weight in the years between. I just weighed in at my heaviest at the beginning of this month, but I am losing. There is hope. It is worth the effort it takes. You are not alone.
  • Littletoepeep
    Littletoepeep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with severe pcos 19 years ago and recurrent ovarian cysts (biggest one was size of grapefruit). I had one ovary removed and was given only a 5% chance of falling pregnant!! I was put on a high dose of metformin and it has literally been a miracle drug. The immense pain stopped, and all the other hideous symptoms! I am now a mum to 3 perfect children 16, 10 and 6. Metformin isn't for the faint hearted, it makes you feel horrendously sick but it has been amazing. I have tried coming off of the metformin but within 6 months the symptoms return. It also helped with weight gain. Stay strong ladies and see your end goal xx