Focusing on Wellness, not weight and looking for like-minded

Options
I'm a woman and turn 50 this year. I had an epiphany, I guess you could say, last week. I've been focusing on (no... obsessing about) my weight since I was about 14 years old and the insanity of it just hit me. It's exhausting, humiliating and ridiculously counterproductive. It's what led to my bulimia in college, bouts of depression and stupid amounts of my thoughts and attention. Even when I've lost weight, I always wanted just a few more pounds. And now I've just had enough. I've decided I'm going to focus on my WELLNESS and my FITNESS. I'm going to trust myself, listen to my body (what novel concepts!) and my inner athlete. When I stop resisting, I actually like to work out, so I'm going to let that be my guide. Eating well is going to be motivated by a desire to perform better, to sleep better, to have more energy, NOT by the number on the scale. Anyone else interested in joining me?

Replies

• chrismarie1119
    chrismarie1119 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ..... I'll be 49 this year and I also would like to see myself in a different light ....One that includes a smile
  • cathleete
    cathleete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out what measures I'm going to use because I'm done getting on the scale. Taking my measurements is one, but I'd also like to track my fitness progress. Some things are easier to track than others. I'm not a runner (knee issues), but do more strength and spinning. Any thoughts?
  • cathleete
    Options
    And by the way, yay! And it's really nice to have someone on board! I know the whole not paying attention to weight is so contradictory to our society. But maybe that's the problem...
  • cathleete
    Options
    Points for you for being able to separate weight from validation. It's obviously a factor in wellness, particularly as we get older. Maybe it's more tied to acceptance for women, but I've seen it with men as well. Taking my measurements and getting my cholesterol numbers is a parallel way for me to keep myself on track that doesn't involve getting on the scale. Wellness definitely takes on a different level of importance as we get older, that's for sure...