Completely petty, but I miss the compliments

Options
So when I first lost 25 pounds, everyone noticed, asked what I was doing differently, congratulated me. I could also eat more and lose back then. Now it's harder, I have to eat fewer calories to lose, progress is slower. I've been 'slim' for so long that people have forgotten that I was ever chubby. So instead of getting told wow, you're doing a great job! I get told "Oh, it's easy for you, you're young!" or " Why are you so worried about calories, you can eat anything and stay small, just wait till you are my age!" or if I do happen to indulge, "How do you eat that much and stay so small?" or "you're gonna get fat eating all that!" I obviously know that I cannot rely on others for motivation, but it's just discouraging to be working so much harder, plus battling all that negativity.

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    People are jerks. This is as constant in life as death and taxes. Learn to not rely on others for justification.

:D You made me laugh out loud. No I don't rely on them, but it was still nice, ya know?
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Here you go - You are doing a sterling job, well done you - I do not even charge (the first time :) )
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Here you go - You are doing a sterling job, well done you - I do not even charge (the first time :) )

:D
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    You are awesome......do u......look elsewhere for the compliments, and always know ppl are gonna hate.....i find if u kill them with kindness they are more forthcoming with compliments, & kudos. That you aren't in competition.
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    christys03 wrote: »
    You are awesome......do u......look elsewhere for the compliments, and always know ppl are gonna hate.....i find if u kill them with kindness they are more forthcoming with compliments, & kudos. That you aren't in competition.

I find if you kill them they cannot give you compliments, but they cannot bother you anymore either ....

Lmfao......u would b correct.......
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You say you know it's "completely petty" so why are you allowing something "completely petty" to discourage you so much? Why not celebrate that you've been "slim so long people no longer think of me as chubby"? That's awesome! Furthermore, most of the comments you cite are completely ignorant and uninformed, so just dismiss them for what they are. No reason to rely on these people for motivation at this point in your journey. Certainly don't accept the "negativity" you feel they are creating in your head.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You say you know it's "petty" so why are you allowing something "petty" to discourage you so much? Why not celebrate that you've been "slim so long people no longer think of me as chubby"? That's awesome!

Because I am human, and what people say does have an affect on me. I am not a perfect, immortal goddess.
  • kristenmuehler
    kristenmuehler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I ever get this weight off I hope no one remembers me being so heavy. I have wasted 20 years being overweight and missed out on so much because of my reluctance to get out there and do things (knowing it would be awkward or people would make comments or I just wouldn't be able to do it physically) that I am scared to get compliments. I wish they wouldn't have to say anything to me at all about what I have accomplished. To me it is embarrassing. Maybe folks think you don't want to be reminded of your struggle because to them you are past it. :-)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I am tired of the compliments. Every day I am reminded of how I'm disappearing. How thin I am. How I shouldn't lose more weight. Etc. But I'm sure I will miss them when they are gone!
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    If I ever get this weight off I hope no one remembers me being so heavy. I have wasted 20 years being overweight and missed out on so much because of my reluctance to get out there and do things (knowing it would be awkward or people would make comments or I just wouldn't be able to do it physically) that I am scared to get compliments. I wish they wouldn't have to say anything to me at all about what I have accomplished. To me it is embarrassing. Maybe folks think you don't want to be reminded of your struggle because to them you are past it. :-)

I think it's more they never realised it was a struggle. But that does help me some!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    So when I first lost 25 pounds, everyone noticed, asked what I was doing differently, congratulated me. I could also eat more and lose back then. Now it's harder, I have to eat fewer calories to lose, progress is slower. I've been 'slim' for so long that people have forgotten that I was ever chubby. So instead of getting told wow, you're doing a great job! I get told "Oh, it's easy for you, you're young!" or " Why are you so worried about calories, you can eat anything and stay small, just wait till you are my age!" or if I do happen to indulge, "How do you eat that much and stay so small?" or "you're gonna get fat eating all that!" I obviously know that I cannot rely on others for motivation, but it's just discouraging to be working so much harder, plus battling all that negativity.

Battling negativity is a challenge. No doubt. But its awesome you'e been slim for so long that people have forgotten you were ever chubby! That's a great thing! Don't be afraid to gently remind people that you worked hard to get where you are. Please also don't forget that it may actually be slightly more difficult for older people to repeat your success, for psychological reasons or physical ones. Maybe you can turn such comments into positive, motivational ones for the people making them.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options

Battling negativity is a challenge. No doubt. But its awesome you'e been slim for so long that people have forgotten you were ever chubby! That's a great thing! Don't be afraid to gently remind people that you worked hard to get where you are. Please also don't forget that it may actually be slightly more difficult for older people to repeat your success, for psychological reasons or physical ones. Maybe you can turn such comments into positive, motivational ones for the people making them.

Thanks! I don't disagree that it is probably a little harder, but it's said as an excuse for why they didn't try. Although come to think of it, I'm sure I've said similar things in my life. :(
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying, but while others can hardly remember us being heavy we never quite forget...even yet I sometimes feel I'm still the 'fat' friend or sister. Our minds sure can do a number on us.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You say you know it's "petty" so why are you allowing something "petty" to discourage you so much? Why not celebrate that you've been "slim so long people no longer think of me as chubby"? That's awesome!

Because I am human, and what people say does have an affect on me. I am not a perfect, immortal goddess.

Consider that there is a lot of room between "completely petty" and "immortal goddess." These are your words, not mine. Try to relax a bit and celebrate what you HAVE accomplished. Look at your progress pics & Weight loss log for positive reinforcement!
  • wellthenwhat
    Options

Consider that there is a lot of room between "completely petty" and "immortal goddess." These are your words, not mine. Try to relax a bit and celebrate what you HAVE accomplished. Look at your progress pics & Weight loss log for positive reinforcement!

Oh, I definitely do! I was just feeling a little down, and whining to people who have probably had similar experiences at one time