Looking for MFP friends for the long haul!

Options
Hi Everyone! I am 46, and have 121.8 lbs to lose. UGH! I've gained and lost weight all my life. I lost 60 lbs in high school. Gained it back. Lost 75 lbs in 2000. Gained it back. Lost 100 lbs in 2007. Gained it back, and those were only the big ones! I was down to 179, can you believe it?? Now I am currently 271.8, and that's after losing for 2 weeks. I do not understand why I haven't learned by now! Each time it gets harder and harder to lose and easier and easier to gain back. I know how to lose weight and I know how to gain it back. Everyone's good at something right!

My goal here is to meet some great friends while I lose it.....again......who can maybe help me and motivate me to learn how to keep it off next time! It's going to be a long journey and I don't want to do it by myself. Most importantly, I don't want to have to do it again! This is the last time. Seriously.

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Make small changes at first so you don't get overwhelmed. Weigh and measure everything that goes into your mouth. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and walk walk walk. Good luck!
  • NRgeticMomma
    NRgeticMomma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know it can seem overwhelming but focus on small do-able goals (i.e. 5%, 10%, etc.) and you will hit your big goal before you know it!
  • SunnyCoastKylie
    SunnyCoastKylie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds familiar - I'm 46 and have been yo-yo-ing since I was 16 - up and down and round and round - I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. So I started yesterday, did well and had the most amazing sleep. You can do it!
  • sarahanneboswell
    sarahanneboswell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I believe in you, you can do it! I'm 16 and I really want to start a good habit so that I can happy in the long run!
  • jessielopez516016
    jessielopez516016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One important thing. Don't start something you're not willing to continue forever. Most start off motivated but soon get tired or bored and go back to what they were doing and gain all the weight plus some. I agree. Start small. take small steps. don't give up. If you mess up. shake it off and keep going. I'm telling myself as well. I need to lose 50 pounds. I've done the up and down many times as well.
  • lrb142014
    lrb142014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One important thing. Don't start something you're not willing to continue forever. Most start off motivated but soon get tired or bored and go back to what they were doing and gain all the weight plus some. I agree. Start small. take small steps. don't give up. If you mess up. shake it off and keep going. I'm telling myself as well. I need to lose 50 pounds. I've done the up and down many times as well.

I agree that this is life long. People diet on and off as I have previously. But the real rewards come from disciple and consistency. A diet is short-term, but to be truly successful it needs to be a lifestyle.
  • lchap323
    lchap323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! :)
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    you can reach your goal feel free to add me as a freind
  • jiggles6669
    jiggles6669 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and also have a lot to lose, 100 lbs. Or more. I'm struggling with getting meal plan together, but my main struggle is with excercise. I'm a smoker, currently trying to quit. But I can only do a few minutes of cardio on an elliptical and my body and lungs just run out of steam. Any advice? Add me as friend
  • phubb3
    phubb3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your story is very similar to mine. I am starting over again today and need all the help I can get. It's always better if you do this with friends. Please add me
  • tjacksonid
    tjacksonid Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and also have a lot to lose, 100 lbs. Or more. I'm struggling with getting meal plan together, but my main struggle is with excercise. I'm a smoker, currently trying to quit. But I can only do a few minutes of cardio on an elliptical and my body and lungs just run out of steam. Any advice? Add me as friend

I used to be a smoker as well (for 20 years!), so I totally get it. I have a hard time with exercise as well, but I've decided that something is better than nothing. Last time I was losing weight I had to work up to the elliptical, and eventually I did. But I could not just jump right into it. I had to work up to it. Right now I have a really hard time with it. So instead, I downloaded an audio book and I walk. For one hour a day, while I listen to the most interesting book I can find! Just walk and listen. That might help you build up your lungs. When walking gets easy, increase the incline on the treadmill or walk around in a hilly neighborhood. You could even do however long you can on the elliptical and then walk the rest of the time. Eventually you'll be increasing your time on the elliptical and probably could eliminate the walking part.
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yup, yup and yup. Same here! I turned 30 last year and I do not want yo be doing the same in 10 years time!!

Always happy to add friends

• JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You've got this! I've been using MFP for years! I'll friend you :)
  • mistyjazz929
    mistyjazz929 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am so where you are. I could have written your post.
    I am only looking for a few buddies to take this long journey with and since we have both just started on this app we could do it together!
    I am going to friend you and I hope you will do the same! :)
  • alicer4182
    alicer4182 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I'm Alice and I completely get what your going thru... It's harder than people who don't struggle with their weight can imagine and I've definitely delt with body image stuff forever :) If u want we could help eachother stay on track!! I'm also trying to exercise more and I could use the modulation too :blush: feel free to friend me !!!
  • lovestofly617
    lovestofly617 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know it can be overwhelming and we all need accountability partners. Feel free to add me.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What every the weight is we are all trying to lose, we are in this together.

Add me.
  • john10007
    john10007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same story!!! Frustrating. Let's motivate one another