Diet on pause

Options
I've paused my diet for about a week or so and I'm feeling very guilty about it. I'm slowly going back to my old eating habits and I feel disgusted that I've let this be.

Any tips for returning to your diet stronger than ever before and can anyone relate to this?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Here is my thought.... I don't eat above my TDEE. That way when the "diet" is on pause I won't gain.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't need to feel guilty. A diet break is a great way to give yourself a break from the stress of all of this, and you can come back next week refreshed and ready to get going.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can. I lost 50lbs back in 2012/13 and was feeling very good about everything. I took a break from it and that break lasted until January 2017. About 4 years. I managed very well at normal times and managed to stay at maintenance, but when I went on holiday, or Christmas came round I put weight on. I never got it back off. In January this year I had put on about 20lbs. Thank goodness I woke up in time before I put the whole 50lbs back on.

I have now returned to losing the weight and have lost 12lbs since January, so I am on the way back down. It is slow, but sure and I am determined to get there.

I believe that you cannot lose weight until you get your mind in the right place. You really have to want to do it and when you want to do it, you will. Please don't let your old eating habits take over. You haven't done much damage in only a week. You can do this. I don't know how long you have been on MFP but with only 3 posts maybe not long. However, you have obviously been losing weight successfully because you had your eating under cintrol. You need to draw on what brought you to MFP in the first place and work on that. It needs to be done. Good luck. If I can do it, you can too.
  • Getmehealthy101
    Getmehealthy101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Here is my thought.... I don't eat above my TDEE. That way when the "diet" is on pause I won't gain.

What is TDEE?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure. The number of calories you burn through existing, walking, doing chores and exercising. So all the calories you burn in a day.

Did you continue to track what you ate or did you give up on tracking as well? I took a diet break in March for 10 days but still tracked what I ate. Started it as I was feeling under the weather and really hungry and kept going until I felt better. Then back to the deficit.
  • Getmehealthy101
    Options
    2essie wrote: »
    Yes, I can. I lost 50lbs back in 2012/13 and was feeling very good about everything. I took a break from it and that break lasted until January 2017. About 4 years. I managed very well at normal times and managed to stay at maintenance, but when I went on holiday, or Christmas came round I put weight on. I never got it back off. In January this year I had put on about 20lbs. Thank goodness I woke up in time before I put the whole 50lbs back on.

I have now returned to losing the weight and have lost 12lbs since January, so I am on the way back down. It is slow, but sure and I am determined to get there.

I believe that you cannot lose weight until you get your mind in the right place. You really have to want to do it and when you want to do it, you will. Please don't let your old eating habits take over. You haven't done much damage in only a week. You can do this. I don't know how long you have been on MFP but with only 3 posts maybe not long. However, you have obviously been losing weight successfully because you had your eating under cintrol. You need to draw on what brought you to MFP in the first place and work on that. It needs to be done. Good luck. If I can do it, you can too.

I've been on MFP since October 2016 and I've successfully lost 4 stone since then. It's just that during times of stress or comfortability my diet and eating habits go out of the window. I agree I need to work on my 'why' to remotivate myself. I also need to work on portion control e.g 2 biscuits is not bad and is fairly reasonable but the whole packet on the other hand is not needed and detrimental to my weight loss journey.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Basically what you spend calorie-wise. If you eat that amount, you can't gain nor lose weight
  • Getmehealthy101
    Options
    TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure. The number of calories you burn through existing, walking, doing chores and exercising. So all the calories you burn in a day.

Did you continue to track what you ate or did you give up on tracking as well? I took a diet break in March for 10 days but still tracked what I ate. Started it as I was feeling under the weather and really hungry and kept going until I felt better. Then back to the deficit.

I haven't been consistently tracking, but on most days I have.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I was about to say, keep tracking during these periods. Diet breaks are useful but they have to be managed (though I make an exception for holidays when I don't track). And if it's a break or a holiday I have a firm end date for when I go back to my deficit/start tracking again. It does take discipline, particularly in the first few days back when your hunger levels are adjusting again but generally, once i'm over the first week hump it's not a big deal.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just give up the bad habits completely if you can!

The main reason I gained weight was soda. Sometimes I wouldnt even have more than a meal but 3 or more liters of cola.

I switched to diet drinks (yes I know still unhealthy but they really help me through!) and I took a break from I think june 2016 till about a month ago. I gained 2lb.
    I ate "normal" pizza/italian/fast foods and tbh actually really unhealthy but I didnt overeat really.

I know its quite a long pause but it helped a lot and I was quite excited to get back to counting now. And actually eating more veggies/fruits since Im a lazy bum!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Just give up the bad habits completely if you can!

The main reason I gained weight was soda. Sometimes I wouldnt even have more than a meal but 3 or more liters of cola.

I switched to diet drinks (yes I know still unhealthy but they really help me through!) and I took a break from I think june 2016 till about a month ago. I gained 2lb.
    I ate "normal" pizza/italian/fast foods and tbh actually really unhealthy but I didnt overeat really.

I know its quite a long pause but it helped a lot and I was quite excited to get back to counting now. And actually eating more veggies/fruits since Im a lazy bum!

Nothing you mentioned is unhealthy. It's just different types of food.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "Nothing you mentioned is unhealthy. It's just different types of food. "

Well, you dont know the amount of cheese I used to have on most of that food hehe :D

(When will I learn how to quote properly D:
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Well, you dont know the amount of cheese I used to have on most of that food hehe :D

Mmmmm Cheeessseeeee.

Not unhealthy, just too much of a good thing.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

But. Nothing wrong with cheese. Too many calories is unhealthy. Never getting any macronutrients is unhealthy. Eating cheese is not unhealthy.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    Options

But. Nothing wrong with cheese. Too many calories is unhealthy. Never getting any macronutrients is unhealthy. Eating cheese is not unhealthy.

Well but thats pretty much what I did, too little protein. Probably too many carbs and fat, not counting calories and Id say way too much cheese.

Ofc all of these foods arent "unhealthy" but I barely had veggies or any good fats or protein or fruits or wait, well basically I ate 100% processed foods with too much sugar/sodium etc.