Eating out tips

Options
I try not to eat out much but sometimes I can't avoid it. But what are something you look for or do when ordering out or eating out?

Replies

• missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the menu/nutrition info and make my choice ahead of time. I'm also a big fan of taking home half of my meal to eat the following day.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say "eat half."
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The last time I ate out I googled the restraunt and added "healthy options" to the search. People blog about everything! You can know what you are going to order before you even leave the house. Some of the search info included pictures so that I could see how the food looked.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I eat boring at home (very nutrient dense, low cal), and have fun eating out or accepting chocolate at work. Works great
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eat half. Make it work by ordering your 'To Go' box along with your entree, then put half the entree into the box before you eat any of it.

Watch out for mega calories in bread, salad dressing, and butter sauces. Bottomless fried potatoes also can have mega calories, so watch out for that, too.

My wife likes to eat at a restaurant where "half" is too much for my plan. On our most recent visit, her entree came with a side salad. I had her salad and she had half of her entree. We took most of the bread home and shared it with our family.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Same here - last Sunday my mom and I split an entree and I stil took 1/2 of my 1/2 for lunch the next day.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take my own food with me lol :smiley:
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I look up the menu and figure out what I'm getting before I get there, and then (like many said before me) I eat about half.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    I look up the menu and figure out what I'm getting before I get there, and then (like many said before me) I eat about half.

Same, except I've been conditioned to clean my plate. What I've done is email the restaurant a couple of days before I plan to go and ask them about what I'm thinking of having on the menu. This has a couple of advantages:

1) When they check the email, it's probably not during the peak business time, so they've got time to give you a full answer.
    2) They often have suggestions on how to make their dishes fit your plan better. Actual quotes from a Middle Eastern restaurant I contacted: "The shakshuka comes in a bread bun, but you can request to have it plain" I saw the bread bun when someone at a nearby table ordered it. Try "hollowed out round loaf of bread". "The grilled eggplant comes drizzled with tahini sauce, but you can ask to have it on the side." I wouldn't have thought about it coming with a sauce, but tahini is a healthy calorie bomb and it's helpful to know about it before I tuck in!
    3) I firmly believe that if you ask the wait-staff about the menu, most servers will tell you the truth, not what they think you want to hear. But there are always exceptions. And there are the ones who offer to check with the cook—who is too busy working on getting the food out and just throws out an answer that may or may not be close to reality, but it gets the server out of the kitchen. Talk to the restaurant beforehand and you're probably going to get something more accurate.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    All the tips above.

Normally when I eat out it's because, maybe, once a month my in-laws take the kids for the night and my husband and I go on a date night. So I don't really worry about what I'm eating. Though I usually end up eating half anyway. I'd rather just enjoy myself on the rare occasion with him.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating half is a good plan. Order with dressing/sauces on the side whenever possible. Order vegetables as a side instead of fries, limit the amount of rolls/bread eaten with your meal as those calories add up quickly. Split meals with others..many ways to make it all work.
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Always ask if they have a light or fat free dressing, skip the bread, look for lean entrees..I have tried some amazing things I would never have tried before, I had a cracker crusted baked walleye the other day that was to die for...chose a side of seasoned green beans ( ask for side choices or substitutions) and I have to tell you that meal was delish...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    In addition to suggestions above: Never be afraid to ask (politely) for reasonable variations of what you see on the menu. It usually works.

I've been vegetarian for over 40 years, before most restaurants even had vegetarian options, so I had a lot of practice with this even before trying to lose weight. If you want it, ask for the sandwich without the bread, no croutons on the salad, a plate with several of the side veggies on it, or some other variation, keeping in mind that some things will have been pre-combined ahead (like lasagna, say).

Some other options: For a planned special event, cut out a few (maybe 100) calories on each of several days before the event to create some calorie wiggle room, do an extra workout to buy some extra calories, and/or eat lightly at the other meals that day. (I don't recommend cutting calories on days after the event to make up calories - that's more likely to set up a restrict-then-overeat cycle, while the pre-event cut gets "repaid" at the event and evens things out.)

If it's a celebratory occasion, though, it's also an option to eat at maintenance calories for the day, or even to go over maintenance if you do it only very, very occasionally. If you're losing a pound a week, you're at a 500 calorie daily deficit. So, eating an extra 1000 calories over goal adds two days to reaching your ultimate goal weight. If you do this three times a week, it's gonna be a problem; if you do it once a month it's probably not a big deal.