Weight loss has slowed

I have been watching, measuring, and weighing my food religiously and tracking everything I eat and all my exercise for 3 months. My weight loss has been only 1/2 lb a week for the last few weeks. I'm sure my body has gotten used to the exercise and food I'm eating but I would like to get back to losing 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. Any advice on how to rev up my metabolism again?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    No metabolism rev up necessary! You just need to change your goals in MFP to reflect 1lb or 1.5lb a week. Just be aware you'll have less calories to consume to meet those goals.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    A few things: What's your weight goal? Where are you now? And how many calories (total) are you eating a day?

Weight loss tend not to be linear, but you're still losing, so it's not being completely masked by water retention or whatever (which can cover a greater rate of loss for a few weeks).

Assuming all is as it sounds and you have the caloric room to spare, a further reduction in calories would be what to do.
  • FLChick49
    FLChick49 Posts: 6 Member
    @gamerbabe14, my goals have always been 1 to 1.5 lbs a week since starting the program. They gave me 1000 to 1200 calories a day and I stay closer to the 1000 range most days.
  • FLChick49
    FLChick49 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    @comeonnow142857. My goal is to lose 40 lbs total. I am at 22 lbs after 3 months. My calorie range is 1000-1200 a day to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. I stay near 1000 most days, with many days even less than that.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    MFP doesn't give you a range of calories a day. And you should never eat less than 1,200 a day. What's your height and your current weight?
  • StrengthOfABear
    StrengthOfABear Posts: 37 Member
    It's the same for me but I realise that as I lose weight it'll be harder to shift the lbs because my body is adapting. This video does a nice job of explaining metabolic compensation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTiiz99p9o But I also recognise that by doing resistance training I'm building more muscle which will help & when I exercise I make better food choices bc I feel better about myself
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Smaller bodies burn fewer calories because they don't have as much body left to lug around and keep functioning. The more you lose, the slower you should expect your weight loss to go.

If you just have 18 pounds left to lose, you should be aiming for about 0.5 pounds per week so your last few weeks have been spot on. Just keep on keeping on and you'll get there.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    FLChick49 wrote: »
    @comeonnow142857. My goal is to lose 40 lbs total. I am at 22 lbs after 3 months. My calorie range is 1000-1200 a day to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. I stay near 1000 most days, with many days even less than that.

What is your activity level? If you are sedentary you have basically no where to go since you have already been eating so low calorie. Unfortunately the last 20lbs is going to be slow.

I looked at your profile and saw where you were in you 60's. So am I and sadly that means we don't require as much to fuel our bodies. That doesn't mean we can't lose weight or that we must do something drastic.

Best thing (IMO) that you can do is to up your daily activity...walk more...dance...hop...skip...whatever your body allows you to do. Resistance training...even if you can only pick up 3lb weights. You don't even need dumbbells. Use bags of sugar/flour/rice. Fill milk jugs with water.

I am 64 y/o. I eat 1400+/- calories a day. I walk 12,500+/- steps a day. I have averaged losing 1 1/2lbs a week. I will gradually slow down as I get closer to goal.

Again IMO...your goals are a bit unrealistic...possibly even unhealthy. Simply because we are older doesn't mean that we don't need to fuel our bodies properly. In fact...it is probably even more important that we are getting the nutrients that we need. Eating as low calorie as what you do...even if you are really short...is probably leaving you lacking in some vital nutrients.

Don't use the excuse that you are "older"...we face a few challenges but so does everyone regardless of age. The more that we older people move the healthier we are and the easier it becomes to lose weight.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Smaller bodies burn fewer calories because they don't have as much body left to lug around and keep functioning. The more you lose, the slower you should expect your weight loss to go.

If you just have 18 pounds left to lose, you should be aiming for about 0.5 pounds per week so your last few weeks have been spot on. Just keep on keeping on and you'll get there.

She might be spot on with thevright amount of weight each week but the bolded above even for an older short woman is not. Age might dictate that we older people can not eat quite as much but there is still definitely still a need for proper nutrition and I am not sure that eating less than 1000 calories on a frequent basis is the way to do that.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

She might be spot on with thevright amount of weight each week but the bolded above even for an older short woman is not. Age might dictate that we older people can not eat quite as much but there is still definitely still a need for proper nutrition and I am not sure that eating less than 1000 calories on a frequent basis is the way to do that.

The OP said 1000-1200, then closer to 1000 most days, then many days under 1000. We don't know actual estimated calorie intake since we can't see the OP's diary. Calorie counting isn't an exact science, anyway. From the evidence of losing about 0.5 pounds per week, OP is likely eating sufficient calories.

My point is that the OP doesn't need to reduce calories or ramp up exercise to try to increase the rate of loss. The rate of loss is just fine. Losing those last pounds takes a while and the OP shouldn't eat less.
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    MFP doesn't give you a range of calories a day. And you should never eat less than 1,200 a day.

This. Who is "they" that told you 1000 a day? It wasn't MFP. Please don't risk your health to lose faster. So not worth it!
  • I personally love doing fasted cardio but that may also depend on the individual. Not sure sure if you have ever entertained the thought ....

Didn't think this actually worked but it did lol
    > http://tcpros.co/hmeJc