What is your favorite distraction from cravings?

Options
Lately I've been struggling with cravings and the biggest reasons why I'm not losing weight. I don't even have to be hungry and have the urge to just eat. What do you guys do instead when you get that urge ? I definitely think I need to come up with healthy alternatives so I don't keep overeating.

Replies

• chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of water when you have that urge or before you eat

Overcoming that urge is something us dieters have to deal with everyday :(

Thankfully I no longer have the urge for sweets or fizzy drinks, just all those tasty but unhealthy and fatty foods ;( but having some once in a while is ok, just portion control
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Water! I like to put a bit of the no sugar flavoring in. It tastes like I'm drinking lemonade, and it stops my craving.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    at home: that lb of spinach and 1/2 lbs of cod with gherkins and a little relish will stuff those cravings up pretty quick with minimal calories for maximum nutrition and bulk and I get on with other things.

at work: yes I love food I will have that cookie. let me buy us all cookies. (discreetly counts 500 calories of cookies and accepts your gracious offer of cashew nuts and a chocolate latte. Turns out nobody wants to buy you 1,000 calories of chocolate a day so it's pretty doable to not have to say no every time and still maintain a low calorie, nutritious diet.)

it averages out to great moderation in the end - getting the social indulgences and still being plenty full every day
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Drinking water, herb tea, La Croix, gum, but mostly going and finding something to do like yard work or some craft or other, where both brain and hands are busy.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running or cycling. But have to be careful that I'm not under-fueled.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    gum (especially strong minty flavor), lots of water with Stur water enhancer in it, Podcasts or music to distract my mind
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Water with a straw! And find something else to stay busy. So many of my cravings are triggers from old habits that die hard.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Some self talk. I remember why I am doing this. I look back on the months of success I've had. All I have to do is say no. It's consistently making the right choices that creates success. I try on the clothes that are too big for me now.
  • dwntwn5
    dwntwn5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put a sheet mask on my face. I'm nowhere near the kitchen and not able to eat. Technically, I've figured out numerous ways I COULD eat with the mask on my face, most involving milkshakes or wine and a straw, but it seems like too much work at the time. ;)
  • someguybb
    someguybb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dipping Tabacco and Yorkshire Gold Tea. Also water. I'll have a cheese stick here and there.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Mint gum
  • freshmama06
    freshmama06 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Water, gum and chocolate almond milk when I'm craving an iced sugary coffee.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk. Often it stops the craving and if it doesn't you have burnt some calories to enjoy a small treat.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Drinking water, herb tea, La Croix, gum, but mostly going and finding something to do like yard work or some craft or other, where both brain and hands are busy.

This. If my body is up to it I do yardwork. Or housework. If it's not up to the physical stuff like that I go make something, and that can be adapted to how much I can do that day. Sometimes just taking a good book outside, away from food helps too.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Water or a 70ish cal latte does the trick for me.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like to do my nails when I'm sitting in front of the tv and I get a craving. Keeps my hands and mind busy and I can't eat with wet nails!
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hard candy, altoid mints, gum, planning your weekly menu(only works for some people), exercise, sweet flavored carbonated water like ice drinks, getting on here and reading. What you're experiencing is a habit and the brain likes habits. I feel your pain because my worst time is in the evening , but breaking the habit can be done. Edited to add if all else fails eat a big plate of seasoned cooked vegetables.
  • eggdev
    eggdev Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's nothing that works. At least for me, and I've tried everything.
    The only thing that does it is a few days of toughing it out and making sure I'm nourished. Even if that means maintenance calories and I'm not losing.
    Figure out what your maintenance calories are and eat every one of them in healthy foods. Don't do the IIFYM thing cause it's never enough. The only thing that satisfies me is high-fat and medium to low carb.
    Eventually, the cravings get weaker. And when you start seeing some progress - motivation takes over.
    Stay strong.
  • dekuja
    dekuja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on a water kick. I usually add ice, too because I'll suck on them. Of course, not everyone likes ice in their mouths. Other than that, mints and mint gums usually do the trick for me.