Road trip meal ideas

Options
Hi everyone, I need meal ideas other than sandwiches lol for a family of 5. Going out to eat gets super expensive and I'm trying to limit it by taking a cooler and packing it with some easy yummy meals. It would be for 2 days. TIA!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    premake chicken in baggies, raw veggies and hummus, pretty much anything works (in moderation)
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love granola bars, home made cookies or, cold pancakes (yum!), Cheese sticks, pretzels, fruit!, Lots of water
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know it's in the realm of sandwiches, but wraps! Veggies and dip, pre-cut fruit and dip, pretzels, muffins.
  • Lusitatissimum
    Lusitatissimum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do a thing I call "Quinoa Qrunch". It's quinoa, chicken tenders, shredded cheese, chopped up carrots, cherry tomatoes and sliced bell peppers. I pack it in those plastic square containers that are supposed to be disposable but everyone reuses them. The drawback is that you do need forks!
    If the kids aren't interested in eating quinoa you could probably try cold noodles, I'm gluten free so I haven't tried that. I'm also allergic to legumes so I don't put peas or beans in, but that could be a good change too.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Meeting the tastes of a family is tough. I can mostly think of snack stuff
    - string cheese, babybel cheese rounds
    - single serving yogurt cups
    - cereal & milk
    - fixings so the kids get to choose/make their own sandwich
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    We take bread rolls, fruit, vegetables, cracker biscuits, rice cakes, sandwich meats, cheese slices and an assortment of nuts. Peanut butter can work well (assuming you aren't allergic to it like my daughter). Cereal that can be eaten as snack food while being reasonably low in sugar is another thing we always pack. Each morning we would all have a zip lock bag of goodies which contain said cereal, nuts and fruit to nibble on as we are travelling.

I have found out that eating oily fatty foods and sweet foods too much when travelling seem to leave you feeling unwell. The kids are more prone to car sickness at it is harder to stay alert. These are convenient but not ideal.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Salads, yogurts, veggies with dips/hummus, cheese and crackers, smoothies premade and frozen- at least for the first day- homemade trail mix.
    All of this can be packed in single portions.