Not for breastfeeding

Options
falica
falica Posts: 13 Member
Says it on the label of my protein powder. I do breastfeed my daughter but only for bed. If I use in my morning shake so you think it will be ok

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    If it says, "Not for breastfeeding..." I would say don't. Just eat real food. . .tuna, eggs, chicken, whole grains, yogurt.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to disregard the label telling you it's not for breast feeding.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    As someone who breastfed for many years (5 total), I would eat it and not worry about it. It's just a cover-their-*kitten* warning, not an actual issue. If it's safe to eat as a human, it's safe to eat as a breastfeeding human.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you have a midwife you can check with?

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ask infant risk
    http://www.infantrisk.com/
    Not all protein powders have this breastfeeding warning. It likely has additives that are contraindicated for breastfeeding moms.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't risk my baby's health for a supplement.
  • annacole94
    Options
    All it means is they've not tested it in breastfeeding. Trust I know more than the people here worried about my babies. Definitely call infant risk. Consult lactmed if there are weird ingredients, or get a cleaner product. Normal protein sources are just fine, like whey or soy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    All it means is they've not tested it in breastfeeding. Trust I know more than the people here worried about my babies. Definitely call infant risk. Consult lactmed if there are weird ingredients, or get a cleaner product. Normal protein sources are just fine, like whey or soy.

Lol wut? :huh:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

We're more worried about the OP's baby and why you feel the need to consider yourself an expert on an ingredient which you don't even know the name of just because you breastfed your children. The OP needs to either consult her obgyn or baby's pediatrician, or just push the stuff to the back of the cupboard until she's done breastfeeding. She should NOT be taking advice from you.
  • annacole94
    Options
    Nor should she take advice from anyone here. As usual, it's pretty terrible.
  • MeginBliss
    MeginBliss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What brand is it? I have access to a database I can check for you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Which is why people said ask her doctor. *shrug* What exactly are you going on about?
  • annacole94
    Options

Which is why people said ask her doctor. *shrug* What exactly are you going on about?
    I just hate when people assume that breastfeeding requires a special diet or abstaining from any particular foods. Assuming this protein powder is just a food (not a souped up supplement with a *kitten* ton of caffeine or something), it's... just a food. As someone that breastfed for many years, I disregarded many "not for breastfeeding" warnings with no basis in reality. Reading them should make you pause, do a quick google on whether it's valid, and then make a decision. It's roughly the same as the "may cause cancer in the State of California" warnings on... everything.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Case in point...

I just hate when people assume that breastfeeding requires a special diet or abstaining from any particular foods. Assuming this protein powder is just a food (not a souped up supplement with a *asparagus* ton of caffeine or something), it's... just a food. As someone that breastfed for many years, I disregarded many "not for breastfeeding" warnings with no basis in reality. Reading them should make you pause, do a quick google on whether it's valid, and then make a decision. It's roughly the same as the "may cause cancer in the State of California" warnings on... everything.

Obviously it's not "just a protein shake" or it wouldn't say that. YOU are free to take whatever risks YOU and Dr. Google decide to take. You do NOT have any place to advise others that it's ok to take those risks. It's incredibly irresponsible.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I just hate when people assume that breastfeeding requires a special diet or abstaining from any particular foods. Assuming this protein powder is just a food (not a souped up supplement with a *asparagus* ton of caffeine or something), it's... just a food. As someone that breastfed for many years, I disregarded many "not for breastfeeding" warnings with no basis in reality. Reading them should make you pause, do a quick google on whether it's valid, and then make a decision. It's roughly the same as the "may cause cancer in the State of California" warnings on... everything.

Yeah no. You're not the only person in the world who has ever breastfed. There's a reason for a warning and if someone is willing to take that risk with their baby that's their perogative but it's incredibly irresponsible to suggest that OP ignore the warning.
  • annacole94
    Options
    It could very well be "just a protein shake" and say that.

OP, if you ever come back, let us know what you're taking. I would argue anything that shouldn't be taken while breastfeeding shouldn't be eaten at all.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

That's a pretty big assumption.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    They don't randomly stamp unnecessary warnings on food products. It's there for a reason. Whatever it is, it might not hurt, but why even take the risk if it's not something you actually need?

ETA: If it's just a "cover your @$$ warning" and we should just ignore those, why do some protein supplements have it and others don't? My protein powder doesn't have any warnings. Wouldn't you feel terrible if you ignored a warning and something not so nice happened as a result?