Not for breastfeeding

Options
falica
falica Posts: 13 Member
Says it on the label of my protein powder. I do breastfeed my daughter but only for bed. If I use in my morning shake so you think it will be ok

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    NO. Not for breastfeeding means don't use it if you are breastfeeding. Who knows how long it takes for whatever is causing the warning to work its way through your system.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't risk it without at least knowing why the warning is there and talking to a doctor. A little extra protein isn't worth it.
  • falica
    falica Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will speak with doc first that's a great idea I didn't event think of
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use it. It could have creatine or extra BCAAs added which could have an effect in nursing moms. When in doubt, speak to your doctor
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Look up the ingredients for actual breastfeeding safety.
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/lactmed_announce_06.html

Odds are they just put that there because they didn't study it in breastfeeding at all.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Look up the ingredients for actual breastfeeding safety.
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/lactmed_announce_06.html

Odds are they just put that there because they didn't study it in breastfeeding at all.

You really want to advise someone to eat something that the label says is not for use when breast feeding on the assumption that every ingredient in the list has been studied? Because that's what the lactmed list is -- a list of drugs and other chemicals that have been studied for carry-over into breast milk and infant blood. It's not universally comprehensive, and appears to be aimed more at Rx drugs than food ingredients. I think this is very dangerous advice.

OP, is using this particular protein powder really worth the risk of harming your baby? It's not like it's a choice between starving yourself and avoiding some unknown level of risk to your baby. There's plenty of other things you can consume for calories and protein. And if it does harm your baby, realize that you will likely have no legal recourse against the protein powder manufacturer for damages to cover any extra medical care or life-long care for your child, if that should be necessary.
  • annacole94
    Options
    The idea that breastmilk is this easy to tocify is *kitten*, though. If it's not toxic for mom, it's generally fine. It's not a drug. If it's protein, it's fine. Op, does it have weird additives? Creatine or something, or is it... Protein?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    The idea that breastmilk is this easy to tocify is *asparagus*, though. If it's not toxic for mom, it's generally fine. It's not a drug. If it's protein, it's fine. Op, does it have weird additives? Creatine or something, or is it... Protein?

Please stop. It's obviously not just protein or it wouldn't have the warning. You have no place to say whether there's a risk or not. I don't care how many babies you've breastfed.
  • annacole94
    Options
    Sigh. The real moral here is: don't get medical advice from the internet.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Sigh. The real moral here is: don't get medical advice from the internet.

2ff.gif
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The idea that breastmilk is this easy to tocify is *asparagus*, though. If it's not toxic for mom, it's generally fine. It's not a drug. If it's protein, it's fine. Op, does it have weird additives? Creatine or something, or is it... Protein?
    This logic is not valid. Chocolate has never affected me negatively, but the tyranine in it gave my nursing son terrible headaches. For 36 months, I was limited to one chocolate chip a day. Any more and my son screamed in pain.