Banana Cake

Options
wellthenwhat
wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
I am wanting to make a banana pudding poke cake for my boyfriend's birthday using a couple of recipes. I am wanting to start with a banana cake. The recipe I have is to make a yellow cake mix according to the box, then add 2 mashed bananas mixed with a teaspoon of baking soda. I'm worried about it coming out too moist since I'm gonna add pudding on top. Suggestions? Can I reduce or eliminate the oil without too much of a harmful effect because of the bananas? The low calorie cake recipe suggests less water and plain applesauce instead of oil.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will be fine. If you're worried about the cake getting too soft, don't add the pudding until right before serving it. Otherwise it has long been a tradition of mine to let my birthday cake soak in / absorb chocolate pudding overnight :)

I personally would not eliminate the oil. It's my opinion that trying to reduce calories in a cake just produces an inferior cake. I'd rather eat 2oz less of cake and save the calories that way. But that's opinion. Quality over quantity and all that.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    The pudding needs to be poured on warm so it sets properly into the cake. I was thinking since applesauce is suggested as a substitute, perhaps the bananas would do the same thing
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bananas can be used for an oil replacement. Have you thought about making a scratch banana cake and then making the "poke"? It works out almost the same.
  • ltoaa1
    ltoaa1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have this very simple mug cake recipe that you might be able to switch to a cake shape. For every banana I use, I add 30g of oats (flakes, instant, flour, whatever you've got) and 1 egg (whole or just the white, up to you as well). I believe you can make a pretty decent cake with 4 or 5 portions of this recipe.
    It turns out really good if you add a little cinammon too.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've used apple sauce as a replacement for the oil, eggs and water before for a spice cake mix and it came out delicious. It wasn't to cut calories at the time, kind of want to try it again now.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    Came back to report, I tried it. Used a yellow cake mix, 3 eggs and a cup of water as directed, then, in a separate bowl, I whipped 2 bananas until they were as smooth as I could get them, added 1 TSP of baking soda to them, and whipped smooth again, added that to the rest of the cake mix, and whipped everything together. The cake is SO light and fluffy! It has a very distinct banana taste, and looks like banana bread, but has the sponginess of angel food cake. Is super good. It's for my boyfriend's birthday, so I made it not so low calorie by adding a layer of banana pudding plus a layer of half pudding half whipped topping, with a layer of sliced bananas in between. I'll top with crushed Nilla wafers. He was hungry for banana pudding, so hopefully he likes it. :) The cake is so light and fluffy it would be good without any frosting, though, or maybe with a few berries.