Proper way if running

Options
Hello! I have a question, I've been running a mile 2-3 x's a week for about 3 weeks now. It seems like my Achilles get hurt somehow. I have heard of proper way of running. Does this happen to you? And what do you do to resolve?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you been fit for proper running shoes?

Do you stretch thoroughly after you run?
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There are some excellent videos on youtube to show you good running form.
    As TravistockToad mentioned - running shoes. You need good shoes. Worth spending out on.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Is this a first running injury? The first things to try are, rest a few days; run slower; be sure you're doing good stretches for the calf; make sure you're fitted with proper running shoes. If 3 weeks is all you've been running, even a as light a schedule as you have could produce a lot of soreness as your body adapts to becoming a runner.

Good running form is certainly something to look at. You can find a lot of explanations on the internet, but it's probably more helpful if you can find someone locally to look at you run and see if you have any particularly glaring bad form issues.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you been fit for proper running shoes?

Do you stretch thoroughly after you run?

Echoing this.

Get fitted for proper shoes. Your Achilles might "ache" a bit (Just like anything else, you need recovery time), but shouldn't be painful really.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your calves every hour, and stop wearing shoes with a raised heel for your non-exercise shoes (for running it's ok). Avoid uphill runs for now because it's harder on the Achilles. :+1:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    mama542 wrote: »
    It seems like my Achilles get hurt somehow.

Achilles tendonopathy can have a number of potential causes, or it might just be simple adaptation.

I'd echo the suggestion of having properly fitted running shoes, moderating your pace and thoroughly stretching after running.

There is no ONE TRUE WAY (TM) of running, but there are some techniques that can help. What I'd specifically say is that if you are experiencing Achilles tendonopathy then many of the people who may get doctrinal on you about running form will give you bad advice.

Note that if you wear heels a lot that might contribute as well.