Now running 5k, advice on next goal please

Options
Hi All,
I set myself a goal of running for 5kms without stopping which I'm doing and wonder what goal to set myself next.
Should I aim to improve my time or increase my distance.
I'm running just for personal fitness and burning off calories not training for a race or anything.
Thanks for any advice :)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I would generally advocate going longer when you're only at 5K. The training for 10K will improve your pace somewhat.

If you're not race training then a 10K session is quite good. It only take an hour or so, and it's long enough to feel worthwhile.
  • leighrichardson350
    leighrichardson350 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I started with reaching 5k then moved on to 10k and have now run 21k. 5k was 30 minuets 10k in 1 hour and 21k in 2 hours 7 minuets. Like you I'm not training for a race just gave me a goal to aim for.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    The 5K distance is kind of a decision point. There is no single path to what you do next; it mostly depends on what you want out of running. You may not yet know what you ultimately want, so you should try different things to see what you like.

I built from 5K to the 5 mile distance, entered a 5K race, and came away not terribly convinced that I wanted to deal with the administrative and logistical stuff that surrounds entering races. But a lot of people told me races were fun, so I entered a 10K. Then my sister told me, "You know, a 10K is almost half of a half marathon." It took me a while to parse that statement. That pushed me into my first half marathon, which ultimately led me to run marathons.

But marathons aren't for everyone. Some people don't want to run any races longer than 5K. I met a guy at a 5K who runs one every weekend and just isn't interested in longer distances. Some people regard 5K as too short to be worth messing with. I'm not quite in that camp; I need a reason other than, "Hey, there's a race!" to run a 5K. Some people don't want to race at all, they just want to run socially or for stress relief and pleasure. Some people only run to burn calories; the ones who don't find a more compelling reason tend to stop running when life gets in the way.

For where you are now, I'd recommend stretching the distance until you find your comfort zone for recreational running. I'd also recommend entering a race or two just to experience the environment, meet people in the running community, and see whether you like that type of experience. You might be surprised; I was. There are also races that are more events than time competitions, with themes like obstacles in the way or colors splattering the runner. And there is trail running, and cross country running, and track running. Each of these has its own character, and some people find that they're attracted to one or more of the less standard types of running.

I hope you find the form of running that really speaks to you, and that you have a lot of fun in the process of finding it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    If you are in the U.S. and you have a Fleet Feet store close by, check out their "Big Run" on June 7th. To celebrate National Running Day in America they are putting on a community 5K 'race' all across the country. There will be medals for everyone. The event will not be timed. It is just a community run to introduce runners to the social aspect of running.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'd say increase distance. At least to 10K range. The ability to use running as a means of exploration and adventure is by far the best thing about running.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with MobyCarp, try a 5k and see if it's something you enjoy. I never expected to enjoy racing, since I'm fairly slow, but it was a lot more fun than I expected. It led me to half marathons and then races of other distances in our area. A few years later, I decided to go for a marathon. I'm still pretty slow, but I enjoy the challenge of training for races and then getting the reward of actually getting to run them. I don't do them often, but having a goal helps keep me focused. It's harder to slack off when I know I want to be well trained on race day.

You might also check to see if there are any social running groups in your area. We have a couple of groups - a weekly Beer Runners group that does 4 mile runs followed by time at a restaurant or brewpub, and others that do after work and Saturday morning runs. If you have access to trails, you might see if you enjoy trail running.

Speed will come with distance and experience. It takes time to build endurance and stamina, but it does come.
  • Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your great advice. I really appreciate it. I'll build up to 10k and go from there.
    Thanks again :)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! I did my first 5K two years ago...improved my time by 10 minutes in the last one I did in December. Joined a Fleet Feet training group at the end of January to train for a 10K. It was just this past Saturday - my first one! It was so much fun. You'll be amazed by how strong and conditioned your heart will be with consistent running. The social aspect of a training group was really fun too.

One reason I wanted to train for a 10K was to get my 5K time down a bit more. I'm never going to place or win any races, but it's fun to always have a time to chase. By training for longer distances, you'll likely become faster in shorter races so you can work on both! I find it fun to keep little races on the calendar to help with motivation.

Just be sure to increase your mileage gradually - sometimes our hearts become stronger than our muscles and joints, so you want to let your body catch up. You may physically be able to run further and longer, but do it gradually to help injury prevention.