Contraceptive (combined) pill

Options
amehh91
amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
Hi all!

I've recently switched from Nexplanon (3 year implant) to the combined pill and just wondered if any weight fluctuation besides my usual ups and downs (from sodium etc) can be expected in the pill free week? I know that during monthly lady time, weight can go up a bit more with retention and stuff but is it the same on the pill free week (which apparently isn't an actual period)? I never had any periods with the implant so I'm not sure what to expect :) fore-warned is fore-armed!

NOTE: I've lost nearly 70lbs on contraception so I'm in no way concerned that I won't be able to shift my last few lbs whilst on the pill :) I just like to know what to expect

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My experience- I always started my period about 3 days after hitting the placebo week. I would gain about 2 lbs around that time I started the placebos, then lost it about 2 days into my period. Probably just hormone related water retention.

Everyone is a little different, some people gain earlier than I did, or lost later, or experienced a larger gain. Just accept that it will happen and track it for a couple months and you will know exactly whats up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Same as above actually. A bit of water a day or so before break week, break starts Thursdays, usually have a whoosh of that and some extra on the Sunday/Monday.
  • amehh91
    Options
    Thank you :) I just like to know what to expect so I'm not surprised haha
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me it works like this... week before that time of the month i get bloated and dont lose any weight. The week free the blaotness goes (although one day i can pretty much go for a wee every half hour due to watwr retention)and i lose twice as much weight. This has happened the last two times. I think everyones different. Keep an record of weight lost and ull soon figure out what ur body does
  • leialeia79
    leialeia79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me it works like this... week before that time of the month i get bloated and dont lose any weight. The week free the blaotness goes (although one day i can pretty much go for a wee every half hour due to watwr retention)and i lose twice as much weight. This has happened the last two times. I think everyones different. Keep an record of weight lost and ull soon figure out what ur body does

I'm quite similar to this. The week before I'm usually dealing with excessive thirst, so I drink more and bloat a little but during my pill free week I usually lose more weight.
  • amehh91
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Today is my first day back taking the pill and it would appear I actually gain/stay steady before my period and first couple of days and the last 2 days I have dropped 2.2lbs (and finally don't feel bloated!)

Will keep an eye on future cycles to see if the same happens :) thanks again!