Jogging is TERRIBLE

Options
I always think it's a good idea and it gets me out of the house but 20 minutes in I realize it's really rediculously unpleasant, I can't run. I tried jogging in the park because it's easy and convenient but I always feel like I can't breath freely and I don't enjoy it at all. I was thinking about joining the gym or maybe biking instead ? Do you guys have any suggestions on good, doable exersizes that do not include jogging in the park?!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you do like. ..try lots of different types - options are limitless! :smile:

For me walking will always be my preference but I enjoy strength training and some running. I hate intensity training so I just don't do it.
    Do what you like as that's what you'll likely be able to stick to doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for jogging in the first place?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do intervals - run one minute, walk two, repeat. After a week or two, run two minutes. Also even when you're getting better at distances, I find the first 5-10 minutes of a run suck anyway as I get warmed up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Walking (leisure and brisk)
    Exercise Videos (FitnessBlender, or other youtube)
    Strength training, elliptical (this is low impact), exercise bike, body weight training
    If you want to learn to run try C25K

If you hate running or its just all around unpleasant don't run. All exercises are gonna take time to build up endurance and stamina.

All activities are good and doable as long as you do not any limitations that prohibit you from performing certain exercises. The best exercises are exercises that you will do. Perhaps there should be a little fun factor to exercising, so you should find something you enjoy doing.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried it and two things...

I burn more calories walking because I can walk further:)
    I tried it I was pleased I could run as far as I did and I prompty went back to walking and hiking:).
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running for 20 minutes without stopping!! That is awesome!

I do like riding a bicycle. Do you have/can you get one? I think its fun, and spring is here in the northeast. I see you're in NYC, but you can ride up and down the west side along the river, at least, without traffic, and of course, in Central Park.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming.
  • domgetsfitter
    domgetsfitter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm with you I do the same thing every time. I prefer a combination of strength training and interval training on the treadmill. The cardio is limited but really effective and I feel great after. Whereas jogging just makes me feel like I should be doing better
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Jogging isn't mandatory. If you already know you hate it, there's no reason to push yourself to get better at it, or to do it at all. There are a million things you can do in the gym (lifting, spin class, yoga, etc., etc.). You can walk or bike or go hiking. You can get out on a river or lake and kayak, if there's a river or lake near you. The list of options is pretty much endless.

People often treat jogging as if it were the be-all and end-all of exercise, but seriously, it is so unnecessary. If you enjoy it, by all means do it. If you hate it, stop it at once. Many people have led full, healthy, and appropriate-weight lives without ever running if nothing was chasing them.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Started zen labs c25k, am on w3d3, and the 3 minutes isn't hard unless I'm purposely going fast. I'm planning on going all the way through on turtle speed, then go through again on higher speed. If it's super hard for me, I'm gonna hate it, but when I start slow like this, I can tolerate it.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hate it. Do something that you enjoy. Try power walking instead. Or biking. I trained for a 10K last year, and hated every minute of it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I always think it's a good idea and it gets me out of the house but 20 minutes in I realize it's really rediculously unpleasant, I can't run. I tried jogging in the park because it's easy and convenient but I always feel like I can't breath freely and I don't enjoy it at all. I was thinking about joining the gym or maybe biking instead ? Do you guys have any suggestions on good, doable exersizes that do not include jogging in the park?!

Cycling has a lot in common with running, it's sort of like a low impact and not awful version of running. It's still great cardio exercise. It's still transportation, too, so you can run errands or just go visit a park and see how peoples' gardens are changing throughout the year while you do it. Instead of destroying your knees, cycling will make them stronger. Instead of being a chore, it's fun. Unless you crash, there are no injuries (although you can get sore). I can ride a marathon and then do it again tomorrow. Micro-fractures? What's that?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I hate running...haven't run in years. Early on I ran quite a bit because that's what I figured I should be doing but always loathed it. I mostly cycle and lift. I also enjoy some hiking and enjoy hitting the rock climbing gym once or twice per month...little swimming in the summer as well. I take my kiddos to the trampoline park a couple times per month and get a pretty good workout there as well.
  • noexcuses0626
    noexcuses0626 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one that you enjoy! But, seriously, the secret to running (jogging) is to pace yourself. If you can't breathe, you're going too fast. Try slowing down. Speed will come once your cardio gets a bit stronger. But if you really hate it, try hiking, or biking, maybe?
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I love walking and hiking, I love the idea of running and wanted to work my way to races, but it's just not for me. I did Couch to 5K a few times, but it's just not my thing. And that's ok. What is my thing - dancing, walking, hiking, and lifting. I really enjoy those things. I really love working towards lifting heavy. Find something you like and stick with it.
    As for convenience, there is plenty you can do in your own home. Lots of fitness channels on youtube and even On Demand and Hulu. I saved up and slowly turned my garage into a gym, it's been pretty convenient. However, in summer is kind of the worst because I live in Florida, but I still love what I do even when I complain about all the sweat.

Good luck to ya!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Start where you are. Just move. Eventually you'll be bored of walking and start jogging, and so on.