Best Cardio workout!

Options

Replies

• rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If your gym has an Arc Trainer, these are the best! Low impact and a variety of different types of exercises. If you work hard you can burn over 1000 calories per hour. You can challenge yourself and its fun.

http://www.cybexintl.com/products/arc-trainers.aspx
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Use google to see if there are any walking/running/biking trails nearby. If you are lucky and there is one, go outside and enjoy the weather as spring comes in with the cardio of your choice. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Nordic skiing. Competitive Nordic skiers are the fittest people on Earth.

@NorthCascades What about snowshoeing?!?

I've put mine back in the attic until next year :(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I did my last groomed trail ski for the season on Saturday. It was a bittersweet moment when I took them off, then again when I got home and put them away for 8+ months.

:frowning:

Meet Kale, and Think Snow.
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hate running. But started taking a hula hoop class regularly and it is a KILLER cardio workout.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of walking outside, preferably with lots of hills and variations which is easy where I live. For more guided cardio I'm a fan of Leslie Sansone and Gilad. I loved Zumba but it did not love me.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    People might get on to me about it "not being real exercise", but I really enjoy reading and walking (at the same time).

I tend to have a hang up about exercise because I feel as though it's a waste of an hour (or however long it is I do it). Not that I don't recognize that it's a healthy activity to engage in and essential for staving off depression (important for someone like me), but more that I could be doing something more productive in that hour.

So the key for me has been finding activities that either fill that purpose (like elliptical and watching a television show instead of sitting on the couch). I do this with non-exercise things, too.. like chores or creative pursuits (knitting/drawing/that sort of thing).

That's been pretty instrumental in getting me over my dislike of "exercise".

P.S. A really fun exercise that burns some serious calories has been rollerblading (which obviously, I can't read and do that at the same time, lol).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    "Best" is kind of a relative thing. My preference would be to ride a bicycle in the mountains on roads with no automobile traffic. I don't live anywhere near the mountains. I can get a similar workout by riding on a smart trainer, but I'm drenched with sweat by the time I'm done. I can ride circles in my neighborhood, but it get boring and the hills aren't steep. I can ride the roads outside of my neighborhood but there is the issue of traffic. So, the big question is, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing at 85% of VO2 max. If you can't do that, then just forget about it.

My point here is even if there was a "best" overall calorie burner, if you can't do it, it's NOT the best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I lost weight fast from running/jogging
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Whatever you love, and will do regularly for pure joy, and (mostly) a calorie deficit.

Me, I like rowing with my calorie deficit, but everyone likes different things. ;)
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how fit you are. Running on a treadmill will be discouraging if you can't run for more than a minute. For more low-impact cardio that is effective and easier on less fit, ellipticals can burn many calories if you up the intensity without being too intense for first timers. I would also suggest rowing and a stairmaster. If you want to use a treadmill, but have very little stamina or endurance, decrease the speed and increase the intervals with the incline (raises the heart rate and burns). It's really up you and your fit level, but try a few things out and fit in 2-3 days to do strength training with your cardio.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Running, stairmaster, cardio kickboxing
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Jump roping, and hiit cardio on treadmill
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    People might get on to me about it "not being real exercise", but I really enjoy reading and walking (at the same time).

In 1848, Henry David Thoreau famously walked the length of Cape Cod's Nauset Beach while reading. Hey, if it worked for him...
    P.S. A really fun exercise that burns some serious calories has been rollerblading (which obviously, I can't read and do that at the same time, lol).

Wow, a twofer: Rollerblading is the best! The blades are so easy to store in the car (compared with a bike). I will only do it on a bike path, however. Not with cars. :#
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I encourage the OP to try everything: Walking, jogging, biking, kayaking, hiking, swimming, jogging, playing a team sport, doing a triathlon. Once you get a taste for being active, it's all fun!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Long walks and a GazelleEdge glider.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Walk for as many hours as possible in a day. Aim for 8 then increase towards 24 hours. Once you achieve 24 hours then you should push further.
  • saundts
    saundts Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks trigden1991, now I get it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Nordic skiing. Competitive Nordic skiers are the fittest people on Earth.

Sadly one needs snow for that, we didn't have any snow, at least not enough, to nordic ski this winter.