Phentermine?

Options
I have nearly 75 pounds to lose and I've decided to use phentermine to kick start my efforts. Today I went for my 1st appointment with the weight loss dr and they gave me a shot of vitamin b in addition to my first month's supply of phentermine. Does anyone know what the vitamin b is for? I asked but didn't really understand the answer. I'm supposed to come in every week for a vitamin b shot and then every 4th week I'll receive my next month's supply of phentermine. I took the phentermine this morning and along with a lot of water, I can tell it's killed my appetite. Have any of you used phentermine as part of your weight loss efforts? How did it go?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I gained back everything I lost, plus some, once I quit using the phentermine. Oh, and I was out about $900. All in all, 0/10 wouldn't recommend.

The vitamin B shot is supposed to give you energy.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    B is great for metabolism and energy bost. Helps with your blood cells and oxygen carrying. Also works with protein synthesis to produce vital amino acids for muscle and the denser your muscle the more fat you'll burn :)

Not going to comment on phen because today there was a member on here asking about HCG/HGH injections and that thread was deleted. Apparantly hormones that your body produces naturally seem to be off topic. Just LOL. To be fair it may have been moved elsewhere to another area. Either way I'm steering clear. :)

Regardless I truly hope you succeed in your goals and achieve them as healthily as possible.
  • bellepaige81
    bellepaige81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I lost about half the weight I've lost so far while on it, the other half after I quit taking it. I maintained for about a year. I did gain 10 lbs this fall back, but i wasn't eating healthy (holidays, depression), I had lost my job, and got seriously injured where i couldn't walk, and do my regular exercises. I'm back taking it now for the last few weeks to help get over my carb addiction again, and jump start losing the 10 i gained (6 down), and the other 30 to my goal. Everyone is different. I made lifestyle changes in my eating habits, which i stuck to after I quit taking it for the most part (with exception of this fall). I was also exercising, not everyday, but 3-4 times a week before I got injured. I'm back at that, and eating better, so I can conquer these last few lbs. Exercise, including strength building workouts, and overall lifestyle changes (no sugary drinks/avoid carbs, especially white ones) are the key in my opinion to keeping it off. Also, not waiting til you gain it all back to check yourself, regroup, and get a plan to self correct. I also take Vitamin B shot every time I see my weight loss doctor (i would weekly if i could), my parents and I have a genetic amino acid deficiency where I don't absorb it from food (or pills) I eat, so shots are the only way for me to get it in my system. I learned this before my weight loss dr, from blood work from endocrinologist, and him giving me massive oral pills to take, with no effect. The shots give me a lot more energy, and i overall feel better for about a week after. Hopefully you are getting some from your food, but a detailed blood work would tell you where you are at, and if you truly need them, although it won't hurt you.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've taken it before and had success. I think I have gained a few pounds back after I have stopped, but after the quick initial gain (5-8 pounds), I have been able to maintain the weight loss. Then I got pregnant and gained a stupid amount of weight, so after having our daughter, I took it again. It didn't work the second time, the only thing I felt was tired...and still hungry. At that point, I decided that it wasn't for me anymore. Fast forward to last June, I had a total knee replacement due to a previously undiagnosed injury that caused acute osteoarthritis. At only 36 years old and highly active, having to give up decent exercise for months really messed with my head. I turned to food and I think I might have even been slightly depressed. After 9 months, and when I was able to start working out harder again, I went to the weight loss clinic to talk to them about my diet. I told the doctor that I didn't want the pill again because I had negative side effects the second time I used it, and he told me that most of his patients started saying that. He realized that very few pharmacies provide the real phentermine anymore, and the generic brands seem to have higher occurrences of negative side effects, plus they don't seem to work as well. He gave me a prescription to the one pharmacy that he knows carries the real phentermine, plus he told me to take Cytozyme-AD to supplement the prescription. Cytozyme-AD is supposed to help with anxiety and irritability, so I thought I would try it. Anyhow, to my point...something is working this time, just not sure if it is the phentermine or the combination of the two. I don't have a complete lack of appetite, but I am not obsessing over food. I literally feel like that is where I was at, before starting it again. I will finish this prescription and then go off of it, so right now I am just focusing on portion control and better food choices.

Saying that, you are probably going to get a ton of negative feedback about the prescription, so just be prepared. It is not a popular thing on MFP.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    B is great for metabolism and energy bost. Helps with your blood cells and oxygen carrying. Also works with protein synthesis to produce vital amino acids for muscle and the denser your muscle the more fat you'll burn :)

Not going to comment on phen because today there was a member on here asking about HCG/HGH injections and that thread was deleted. Apparantly hormones that your body produces naturally seem to be off topic. Just LOL. To be fair it may have been moved elsewhere to another area. Either way I'm steering clear. :)

Regardless I truly hope you succeed in your goals and achieve them as healthily as possible.

The diet accompanying HCG injections is VERY LOW CALORIE.

From My Fitness Pal Guidlelines.......
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

OP won't be adding any lean muscle mass IF she's eating very low calories......vitamin B injections for energy (?).....sure. Adding lean muscle generally takes a calorie surplus, progressive strength training and a decent amount of protein.