Are you a creature of habit or do you need the variety?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Both. I rotate and alternate meals, (weekly dinner theme rotation, but different meals each week; for other meals, I eat up and then buy something else), because that's fast and easy, but I also like to try new things now and then because that's exciting. Sometimes what's "new" is very different, sometimes it's just a little different. After a while, the "new" aspect becomes "habit", and realizing you have learnt a new skill that lets you master a whole row of tasks, is amazing.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I too am a creature of habit. In order to be "on point," it's really the only thing that works for me. Same foods almost every day, but it doesn't bother me because I like them.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Both. I eat seasonally so the foods I eat in the Winter tend to be different than the Spring or Summer or Fall. But I do tend to eat the same things over and over again when they are in season. WooHoo berry season is starting.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A bit of both. I eat a limited number of things regularly for breakfasts, lunches and snacks but something different for dinner most days of the month.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit, but everyone else in my family likes variety. So, I eat the same few meals for breakfast and lunch every day (when I'm only feeding myself), but try not to repeat dinners more than every two weeks (when we all eat together). Unless it's something everyone loves (taco night!), then they'd happily have it every week.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    creature of habit for breakfast and lunch, dinner is something different every night of the month.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of both. My breakfasts are more static, generally eating the same thing with a couple alternatives when I get tired of it. My dinners tho.. I have a planned out 6 week menu, for 6 weeks no two meals are the same. But it does repeat every 6 weeks. My lunches are smaller versions of my dinners with a salad mixed in.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm so a creature of habit, in food and in most things. I get pretty testy when my routine gets messed up.
  • lucyee
    lucyee Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Definitely variety. I have quite a lot of cookbooks, and genuinely enjoy flicking through them for new things to try. The only time I usually eat the same thing is if I have leftovers - otherwise I rarely cook the same thing twice, excepting a few favourite meals that are cooked maybe 3-4 times per year. Breakfast is a bit different - I have about twenty different options on rotation. This may also explain why I stopped logging...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts are habit - I'm virtually comatose first thing in the morning, so I don't enjoy any challenges. Just breathing and walking is hard enough.

Dinners are all variety, all the time. I don't normally follow recipes, but I do looking at them sometimes to get ideas for new general types of dishes or flavor combinations to try. I have some basic themes, and a lot of dinners are variations on those: Tostadas, soy spaghetti with sauce (peanut sauce, miso, whatever) and different veggies, scrambled eggs or omelet, enchiladas, doctored up refried beans, soups or stews, roasted veggies of all types, etc. (If you haven't guessed, I'm vegetarian.)

I like finding new veggies or fruits (etc.) I've never had, then figuring out how to use them. Recent ones have been prickly pear fruit, jackfruit in BBQ/savory sauces, and microwaved pasta para duros (with chili powder & salt) as a snack.

Lunches fall somewhere in between, variety-wise, depending on how I'm feeling.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have some favorites I stick with, but once in a while I just have to break free!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I have zero problem eating the same rotation of a few things day in and day out which I think makes cutting super easy for me. Just curious as to others' eating habits. I occasionally work in food I don't typically eat if we're going out or if I want a specific thing, but more often than not you could set a clock by what I eat.

I'm exactly the same.

• lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Habit. I've overdone a few things to the point where I never want to see it again, but that's pretty rare. And one or two things like that have made a comeback after a long period of not having it.