PCOS- advice and weight loss help!!

Options
Hi-
I am a 21 year old recently diagnosed with PCOS. Over the past year and a half, I have lost 45 pounds and am now 135 pounds at 5'10". If you have PCOS then you know this was very hard! But now the scale won't budge. For the past 9 days I've been 134.8-136.4 no matter what! I have been eating 1100-1300 calories a day, cardio 6 hours a week and 3 barre classes a week. What works for you? What macronutrient breakdowns work for you? Any advice appreciated!

ps- I know this is a "healthy" weight but I still have lots of fat on my stomach and arms! Please help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 and 135 I'm not sure what you're trying to lose.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I second the above poster - it doesn't seem like you need to lose more. You're in a healthy range for your height, right? Weight is never going to be one number on the dot every single day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea maybe post a photo if you are comfortable of what you consider to be "lots of fat" ? As I mentioned to you in your other thread, I really don't think more weight loss will be the answer. Believe me I've been there... I had a baby belly and I kept losing and losing until I was really lean and I ended up losing muscle (despite adequate protein and strength training). I was not happy so I had to bulk up to build muscle. Ooof it was a lot of work.

I also have PCOS. Some people find carb management helpful, also adding some strength training too can help manage symptoms and hormones.
  • sfaust2196
    sfaust2196 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay so how do I maintain? What macros do you use? Maybe if I maintain and do weights a lot that will help? And I'll be more toned/less flabby?
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    At 5'10 and 135 I'm not sure what you're trying to lose.

Agreed. Doesn't sound like you need to lose any
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to start a strength routine! Check out Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea maybe post a photo if you are comfortable of what you consider to be "lots of fat" ? As I mentioned to you in your other thread, I really don't think more weight loss will be the answer. Believe me I've been there... I had a baby belly and I kept losing and losing until I was really lean and I ended up losing muscle (despite adequate protein and strength training). I was not happy so I had to bulk up to build muscle. Ooof it was a lot of work.

I also have PCOS. Some people find carb management helpful, also adding some strength training too can help manage symptoms and hormones.

Can I just say that while it sucks that you have PCOS, I'm actually rather inspired by this. I have PCOS as well and have been doing SL 5x5 for several months now. Your pics give me hope for actually getting my body back in shape :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sfaust2196 wrote: »
    Okay so how do I maintain? What macros do you use? Maybe if I maintain and do weights a lot that will help? And I'll be more toned/less flabby?

I'd suggest recomp
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating more and recouping too. Lifting weights is shown to help with issues associated with PCOS. In addition, you're doing what I see so many women with PCOS do--eat very little and exercise like mad, tanking their NEAT calorie expenditure. I'd highly suggest upping cals to maintenance and focusing on improving your physique rather than the number on the scale.

Best of luck to you!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I would shift to recomp.
    Also, low carb/high fat/adequate protein works well for a lot of women with PCOS. My cycles are more regular when I eat this way.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you carry weight on your upper body? You need maca root powder, it balances out hormones is perfect for women with pcos. I started taking it and after 4-5 months I notice my stomach fat got smaller along with my chest area. It's suppose to be good for filling out the hip and but while you loose fat on the upper body. Low carb is good for pcos along with maca root powder. Look it up I think it will help you have a more proportionate body which seems to be what you need more than general weight loss.
  • Candyb38
    Candyb38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to agree with everyone here. I have PCOS as well and strength training and weight lifting broke my plateau. I was stuck at 165 forever. You definitely have to change up your routine. I am now at 153. Eating a lot of protein chicken fish etc also helped. You might not be eating enough depending on how much you're burning off.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and losing weight was difficult indeed. Not so much because the weight wouldn't go but my mood is affected by this condition. I know plateaus very well, however I see men and women alike go through a phase like this and it's normal. The key is to change your routine a little bit and don't count 100% on the scales. Eat more protein and good fats for regulating hormones naturally :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I am on Metformin which seems to help me some. My doctor checked my fasting insulin level which was elevated meaning I have insulin resistance. This is not the same as diabetes and this is not the same test as fasting glucose level which is frequency checked. My fasting glucose level is always normal. Try googling or youtubing PCOS and Metformin if you want more info on it. Or you can message me and I can share what am I know.

Take care and good job on your journey this far :)