What supplement (if any) do you consider the most beneficial for health?

Options
Scrampy
Scrampy Posts: 10 Member
Hypothetical question... just curious what you guys think is working best for you :)

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't take any supplements and am interested to know what other people find beneficial.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Casein
  • Scrampy
    Options
    Casein

A slow release protein? This is a good idea for weight loss I'd imagine.
  • Scrampy
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I don't take any supplements and am interested to know what other people find beneficial.

I did a bit of a google thinking that a multivitamin would be the most popular. But there were a lot of mentions for Vitamin D - I didn't know it was so important (or lacking in our diets) - worth a look.
  • DrifterBear
    Options
    Scrampy wrote: »
    Casein

A slow release protein? This is a good idea for weight loss I'd imagine.

I have whey too and I take BCAAs, but you asked what I consider most beneficial for health. And isn't weight loss the biggest 'health' topic on this site? I like that casein stick with me more and has more volume/flavor, whey is really thin. I understand they each have a place though and had whey immediately following my workout this morning but casein this afternoon between lunch and snack. Also, I like the taste of BCAAs and feel I get some placebo from thinking I'm doing something to help recovery but I believe I get plenty from my diet and take the supplement because I like the drink and it's not expensive. I also take a multi, but not every day and I don't really consider it the most beneficial.
  • Scrampy
    Options
    That's awesome @DrifterBear - I haven't had casein for years. I found it was too slow for me! But each to their own I guess. Again, they all have their place. But protein, however you get it, does decrease appetite. So that's a plus for anyone looking to lose weight. It's a big part of my diet but I just have standard whey (not isolate - it's too expensive).

I also take a multi, and a bunch of other stuff. Omega 3 and 6 too... as I'm recovering from some other things and I find it really helps balance my mood and keeps me alert.

There really are some extreme supplements out there though, right?

The bodybuilding stuff in particular. I mean, I wouldn't know left from right looking at some of those products!
  • DrifterBear
    Options
    People run into D deficiencies when the live too far north (or south if you live upside down). It can lead to depression and can be diagnosed in a blood test. Most people aren't deficient and you can make your own from the sun. Plus multi's usually have that more than covered.
  • DrifterBear
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Scrampy wrote: »
    That's awesome @DrifterBear - I haven't had casein for years. I found it was too slow for me! But each to their own I guess. Again, they all have their place. But protein, however you get it, does decrease appetite. So that's a plus for anyone looking to lose weight. It's a big part of my diet but I just have standard whey (not isolate - it's too expensive).

I also take a multi, and a bunch of other stuff. Omega 3 and 6 too... as I'm recovering from some other things and I find it really helps balance my mood and keeps me alert.

There really are some extreme supplements out there though, right?

The bodybuilding stuff in particular. I mean, I wouldn't know left from right looking at some of those products!

I've experimented with pre-workouts, but am passionately against them now. They can mess up your liver function and I've had a couple tests come back with elevated enzymes. I've never been too big into those but now have to completely stay away. Not to mention, I have to watch alcohol and Tylenol as I'm working with the doc to understand my liver function. Who knows if those stupid drinks got me in this situation. Now I just stick to coffee, much cheaper, taste better and won't kill you.
  • Scrampy
    Options
    People run into D deficiencies when the live too far north (or south if you live upside down). It can lead to depression and can be diagnosed in a blood test. Most people aren't deficient and you can make your own from the sun. Plus multi's usually have that more than covered.

That's right, which is why I found it interesting that so many people seem to think it's such an important one. I think it was on a bodybuilding forum.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D and I take B12 drops. Have also been considering magnesium and iodine. Not sure if I want to or not yet.