Shin Splints

Options
Hey guys!! I am new to MFP, and I've been working out very hard! I'm doing Jillian MIchaels 30 day shred 7 days a week along with Zumba three days a week and the gym (cardio, strength training) three days, with Sunday off from the gym. Well, I feel great, not like I am overdoing it at all, however I am getting very bad shin splints. They are hurting so bad every day, its hard to walk and working out is starting to get very tough, but I am just pushing through it. I do not want to take a break from working out, so does anyone have any suggestions for easing the pain? Anything is helpful!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Sarah

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Find some stairs...put your toes on the edge of a step and lower your heels. Then stand up on your tip toes for a moment, and lower your heels back down lower than your toes. It should help stretch your shins out a bit and hopefully ease some of the pain!
  • Debysue
    Debysue Posts: 9
    Options
    I run and used to deal with shin splints. Someone told me to walk backwards so I started walking backwards for at least a block after every work out. I have not had shin splints since.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Do you strech properly before working out?

I used to get these so bad when I did kick boxing my instructor showed me some extra that I could do and I also got in steps for my trainers.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ive had them and u can ice them, and still workout/run lightly..but they usually hurt so bad that i have to take a few days off tilli can run again.. i thought u were supposed to rest them to a certain extent, before u ran again.. u dont want them to be so bad u cant walk.. id give urself a few days off from running, u can still do plenty of other excersies/cardio that doesnt involve aggravating them anymore...but thats just me!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Take a couple days off to heal, then yes, I agree, to stretch those muscles out before exercising.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take it easy on working out because of the shin splints, but I too don't want to sacrifice my workouts. So I bought some insoles for my shoes. They make it a little better, but I probably could go for a new pair. Might want to check out a new pair of shoes... could help. :smile:
  • heather752
    heather752 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, just some advice from my own personal experience! I was doing 30 day shred......after day 8 my old ankle injury came back (both ankles) But like you I thought I could overcome it and push through it! Well after 2 more days of exercise.....I have been unable to walk and have been hobbling around using crutches! Now I am completely unable to do anything.
    My advice is get over your injury before you do real damage and can't do anything! I know how much it sucks when you are really into something, but is it worth risking serious injury! Maybe try something with lower impact until you recover!
  • hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey guys!! I am new to MFP, and I've been working out very hard! I'm doing Jillian MIchaels 30 day shred 7 days a week along with Zumba three days a week and the gym (cardio, strength training) three days, with Sunday off from the gym. Well, I feel great, not like I am overdoing it at all, however I am getting very bad shin splints. They are hurting so bad every day, its hard to walk and working out is starting to get very tough, but I am just pushing through it. I do not want to take a break from working out, so does anyone have any suggestions for easing the pain? Anything is helpful!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Sarah
    the best and medical way to get relived of shin splits it to take your thumb and index and put a moderate pressure on your tibia and go all the way down and up for 15 mins it hurts yes but they will go away and mostly never come back, i had severe shin splits when i joined army , never herad of them since that 2 week treatement
  • TNAJackson
    Options
    I run and used to deal with shin splints. Someone told me to walk backwards so I started walking backwards for at least a block after every work out. I have not had shin splints since.

Wow, really? Totally going to try this! May look like a fool doing it, but it'd be worth it if it works! Thanks! :happy:
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints too... I was told that my flat feet (no arches) could be a major part of the problem. I got in-soles and it really helped. I also try to stretch my shins after a hard workout.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have had to deal with shin splints my whole life. You need to ensure you have good workout shoes with plenty of support for your arches. Invest in a good insert. I would also ice down my shins after a run then massage with a heating ointment.

Diana
  • aksarahbeth
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!!!! You all have given such great advice. I am seriously going to try everything!! I do try to massage them, and it does hurt, but it does offer some relief. Thank you again guys. What great feedback :)
  • TNAJackson
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!!!! You all have given such great advice. I am seriously going to try everything!! I do try to massage them, and it does hurt, but it does offer some relief. Thank you again guys. What great feedback :)

Glad to help and glad you asked this question! I'm taking some of this advice and applying it to my life as well! :happy: