Struggling with motivation and cravings

Options
All I can think about is food, all the time. It's like the more I try to stick to my calorie goal, the more I crave and think about eating.

What can I do? It's so hard and over the winter I've lost half the progress I made in the summer.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are setting your calories too low. How many calories are you eating? As a young woman who is already thin, (if that's you in the avatar) you really need to eat quite a lot. If you're not eating enough, your body will constantly be prompting you to eat. It's Nature.

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How low did you go in your calorie goal? If you have it set at the minimum 1200 it could mean that you cut too fast. Change your setting to only lose 0.5lb/week and do that for a bit and then up your goal to 1 lb/week.

Did you cut calories, start exercising, and cut out all junk food all at the same time? It could be too much all at once. Some people can do it that way but other can't. When I started I didn't watch calories at all but I cut out all added sugars and started light exercising. After 2 weeks a lot of the cravings were gone so I started cutting calories and increasing my exercise.

How are you spreading out your calories? I work at a desk and struggle with boredom eating so I usually only eat one thing at a time as opposed to eating a traditional lunch during a lunch hour. This way I don't ever feel super full or get really hungry and start obsessing. Have raw veggies like cucumbers or celery (low calorie and high water content) pre-cut and bagged so whenever you get the munchies you have them handy. Season the cukes with salt, pepper, and some fresh dill or dip them in some hummus for extra protein. I also bought a bunch of dessert flavored teas and drink a few cups a day with just a quick squeeze of monk fruit juice extract to sweeten them as a distraction. Gum works really well too.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on the calories too low. I did this once and all I thought about was food and counted the minutes to my next meal. Turns out I was burning WAY more calories than I thought I was. I upped my intake quite a bit (300cal/day) and now I think about other stuff.

Try eating 100-200 more calories/day for a few weeks and see how things go.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 1250 a day with no exercise, but I usually get an extra 100-200 calories added from my Fitbit steps. However, I've been having trouble meeting my goal and so the scale stays the same.

I've been at this for a while (almost 1 year on MFP) but during school I struggle to find time to go workout. I'm in class all day and then come back and am starving and tired and so usually end up going for something quick and craving-satisfying rather than healthy.

I know 1250 is low but I don't want to raise it because of the mental games that go along with meeting and exceeding my goal. I'll tell myself a few extra calories over isn't going to hurt but if I raise it, that actually may effect me. I've had it set to 1500 before but I wasn't seeing any progress so I set it back.

I may look okay in my photo and I know I'm not obese, but i am overweight for my height, and I have a large tummy and love handles that I'd love to get rid of.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I find it MUCH easier to stick to my calorie goal at a deficit when I eat low carb. Dramatic difference for me in satiety, cravings, adherence etc. This works well for some people; not all, but it might be worth a try.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Also if you're coming home tired and starving you need pre prepped meals you can hear up in the microwave, or 5 min in a saucepan, whether you make these yourself or buy frozen is up to you, but being organized helps you to stay on track
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    FWIW, I find it MUCH easier to stick to my calorie goal at a deficit when I eat low carb. Dramatic difference for me in satiety, cravings, adherence etc. This works well for some people; not all, but it might be worth a try.
    Others also have had good results with low glycemic eating plans. Just something to consider.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat low GI (not low carb), and it's helped with feeling hungry all the time immensely. I'm pretty much just swapping all refined carbs and sugar for whole grains, lean protein, and fruits and veggies. If I'm feeling "snacky", I like edamame with salt, a cut up granny smith apple with a tbs of unsweetened pb, or an unsweetened greek yogurt with frozen berries. It's important to always pair your carbs with some sort of protein or fat so it's more satiating. It also prevents blood sugar spikes.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Gallon of water a day helped my cravings, more fiber, made it to where i felt full all the time barely could get 1200 calories in plus i do intermittent fasting really really helps with cravings which i think is mostly sugar cravings due to mean sugar eating bacterias and toxins nagging you about them being hungry. I kill them with more fasting and more veggies
  • caitlinbattaglia
    caitlinbattaglia Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Invest in ziplock bags or small Tupperware containers!!! I think if you can find atleast 20 mins a day to help you prep snack type things to keep you on track, It will really go a long way. It's all that's helped me. Things like premeasured peanut butter and celery. An ounce of almonds or walnuts, fruit etc. for something like a meal... I really like quest bars. They are a little pricey but when you cannot find time to eat, for $2-3 you can't go wrong. The key is to make sure you ARE eating every 3 hours or so. I think 1400 calories is more ideal for you. It's tough, but you look great in your photo! I need to restart my fitness now that winter is over! Lol