My scale says I gained 20 pounds in 4 days and I'm stressing.

Options
carracer3541
carracer3541 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
On Thursday morning I weighed in at 228 pounds and then went home for the weekend. Over the weekend I didn't eat the best, I had lots of sweets, breads, and fried foods. I did track my calories and Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I ate between 3200-4000 calories each day. Normally I eat around 2300 on my reverse dieting and I'm still losing around a pound or two each week. Anyway I went back to university and weighed my myself (same scale) to see what the damage was and I jumped to 247 lbs. What is going on? This is an analogue scale so it can't have an electronic problem. I'm panicking. I lost 205 lbs and now I gained 20 lbs back from a single weekend where I splurged on some of the foods I haven't eaten in a year. I expected a pound or two at most, even three, but 20 seems ridiculous. I'm in full panic mode.

Replies

• MarriedchunkyK
    MarriedchunkyK Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's going to be OK. Chances are the food was high in sodium and you are retaining water. Get right back on your healthy eating plan exercise whatever you normally do and drink your water. Hugs.. stress won't help. Stress hurts me on the scale and make sure you get enough sleep.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Most of it is water weight.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 80,000 calories?
  • MarriedchunkyK
    MarriedchunkyK Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember is to let it go and get back on. Guilt is not going to make you feel better. Forgive it let it go and don't berate yourself for a slip up. Don't let a bad couple days turn into a bad couple weeks. I'm willing to bet in a week the water will go and it won't be that much. Be kind to you!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    On Thursday morning I weighed in at 228 pounds and then went home for the weekend. Over the weekend I didn't eat the best, I had lots of sweets, breads, and fried foods. I did track my calories and Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I ate between 3200-4000 calories each day. Normally I eat around 2300 on my reverse dieting and I'm still losing around a pound or two each day. Anyway I went back to university and weighed my myself (same scale) to see what the damage was and I jumped to 247 lbs. What is going on? This is an analogue scale so it can't have an electronic problem. I'm panicking. I lost 205 lbs and now I gained 20 lbs back from a single weekend where I splurged on some of the foods I haven't eaten in a year. I expected a pound or two at most, even three, but 20 seems rediculuous. I'm in full panic mode.

if you are losing a lb or 2 a day its water weight loss, you cannot lose a lb or 2 a day of fat unless you are eating very low calories,then I still think its most likely not possible. but what you gained is most likely water retention,excess waste in your body. also analog scales can be off or break easily. so weigh something you know the weight of and see if its accurate. if not get a new digital scale.The springs in the analog ones can wear out as well.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You ate a LOT of food. Just get back on track and the pounds will drop
  • angryromancegrrl
    angryromancegrrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your did not gain 20 pounds over a weekend.... Breathe.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Life happens and you over ate. I'm betting a lot of that is water retention. Tomorrow is a new day and you have already acknowledged what happened. Just take a break and move on. You have come so far don't let this set you back
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I went through this once, so I feel you! It's one weekend, not your entire life. I have to agree with the responses regarding water weight. Sweets and fried foods have their fair share of sodium and other "goodies" to help put that on, especially if we indulge in a shorter-than-normal time frame. Keep hydrated, and do what's best for you to get back on track with your calorie deficit. You got this <3
  • carracer3541
    Options
    Well why I'm confused is that it's not like I'm maintaining on my current calorie intake of 2300, I'm still losing weight. In fact, I bumped my calories to 2400 starting today as I'm trying to get to maintenance calories. And no I only ate 14000 calories over the four days and usually I would eat 9200 calories over the four days. I DID NOT eat 80000 in four days.

Yes many of the foods I ate were full of salts and carbs. Looking back at my food diary, I ate 3-4 times as many carbs during those days than I normally would and I ate salt in abundance while decreasing my protein intake.

To the smart-*kitten* who commented first, yes I understand that I ate more than normal, yes I understand that due to this I gain weigh, in fact I stated that I expected to gain a pound or two maybe even three, what I did not expect was a 20 pound increase.
  • carracer3541
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Did you eat 80,000 calories?

No I ate just under 14000.
  • carracer3541
    Options
    On Thursday morning I weighed in at 228 pounds and then went home for the weekend. Over the weekend I didn't eat the best, I had lots of sweets, breads, and fried foods. I did track my calories and Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I ate between 3200-4000 calories each day. Normally I eat around 2300 on my reverse dieting and I'm still losing around a pound or two each day. Anyway I went back to university and weighed my myself (same scale) to see what the damage was and I jumped to 247 lbs. What is going on? This is an analogue scale so it can't have an electronic problem. I'm panicking. I lost 205 lbs and now I gained 20 lbs back from a single weekend where I splurged on some of the foods I haven't eaten in a year. I expected a pound or two at most, even three, but 20 seems rediculuous. I'm in full panic mode.

if you are losing a lb or 2 a day its water weight loss, you cannot lose a lb or 2 a day of fat unless you are eating very low calories,then I still think its most likely not possible. but what you gained is most likely water retention,excess waste in your body. also analog scales can be off or break easily. so weigh something you know the weight of and see if its accurate. if not get a new digital scale.The springs in the analog ones can wear out as well.

Sorry I meant to put a pound or two each week not each day. I'll fix that

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Well why I'm confused is that it's not like I'm maintaining on my current calorie intake of 2300, I'm still losing weight. In fact, I bumped my calories to 2400 starting today as I'm trying to get to maintenance calories. And no I only ate 14000 calories over the four days and usually I would eat 9200 calories over the four days. I DID NOT eat 80000 in four days.

Yes many of the foods I ate were full of salts and carbs. Looking back at my food diary, I ate 3-4 times as many carbs during those days than I normally would and I ate salt in abundance while decreasing my protein intake.

To the smart-*kitten* who commented first, yes I understand that I ate more than normal, yes I understand that due to this I gain weigh, in fact I stated that I expected to gain a pound or two maybe even three, what I did not expect was a 20 pound increase.

You're answering your own questions, right? :smile:

First of all I don't know if you low carb or are generally glycogen depleted but the extra carbs together with the water to store them are guaranteed to shoot your weight up by several lbs.

Sodium is also good for multiple lbs.

Based on your overage a couple of real lbs are a real possibility.

Plus excess waste in your system.

I would expect that over the next week you will see a rapid drop of a lot of this weight.

Why don't you update us by next weekend as to how much the total increase really was?

And start using a trending weight app such as Libra or happy scale, or website such as trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com <-- they're good for sanity.

Last, but not least, calibration and maintenance of the scales you're using...
  • iamsharica
    iamsharica Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    That's water weight . Stay away from high sodium foods and it should go down in about 5 days