Strenght or cardio for 30lbs beginner weight loss

Should i work on muscles now or should i work on losing the extra weight first ? Best tips cardio or strength ?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Why not both!

My recommendation though is definitely start lifting now, don't wait. Strength training while losing weight is going to preserve the muscle you have now and have positive affects on your body composition.

Cardio is great but don't overdo it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do both. No need to choose between them. Try alternating days. I like doing a full- body strength routine 2-3 days/week and the rest cardio and 1-2 cardio/strength/ab circuits.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Both. The strength training will give you some form to reveal as the fat melts away, and in my case it REALLY helped with tightening up skin. It also made me lose inches much more quickly than with weight loss alone--which of course is what is visible to everyone else and makes your clothes fit better. I do cardio because I know its good for my heart and it gives variety in my workout.
  • Cyndi3wy
    Cyndi3wy Posts: 9 Member
    Both! Weights are awesome, cardio is needed do you can outrun the zombies.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Cardio is great for creating a calorie deficit and strengthening your heart. Strength training will give you quicker performance gains, but it doesn't help much with the calorie deficit.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    My cardio machine of choice is a fitness glider, which incorporates both: http://gazelleglider.com/how-gazelle-glider-works/. I also use fitness tubes every other day.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks everyone i understand better now
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Both. Personally, I started with core exercises like crunches, planks, leg lifts, squats, and push ups (3 sets) along with at least 20 minutes of elliptical.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    How do you know that it's 30lbs you need to lose? People always choose a weight goal but it rarely ends up being what they think.

But lift weights and do cardio If that is what you enjoy. You need to find exercises that you enjoy doing.