Sauna suits yes or no? What's everyone's opinion ✌️

Options
Sauna suits yes or no

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a sauna suit? The thought in itself of wearing anything in a sauna confuses me.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    They make you lose water weight through sweating.

The chili-flavoured ones are especially effective.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    rachelleelsie3898 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Anvil_Head I never realised that I bought one last night thinking it would help me when I'm training but if that's all it does then I doubt il use it #wasteofmoney

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you like sweating then yes.
    If you don't then no.

Irrelevant for fat loss.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @dutchandkiwi a sauna suit is a aid to weight loss but iv just found out its a load of crap. Ha
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @sijomial thank you for your comment.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @BeauNash I have one what MMA use.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @BeauNash thank you for your comment.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    BeauNash wrote: »
    To be absolutely correct about this, you will burn more calories wearing a sauna suit because your body is doing more metabolic work by making you sweat to cool you down. In a similar way, keeping your body warm burns more calories when you shiver.

But the amount of extra calories you burn will be tiny and get lost in the noise (variability) inherent in CICO.

They can also cause dehydration and screw up your electrolyte balance. And cause you to overheat because they don't let sweat do what it's supposed to do, which is to cool your body.
  • BeauNash
    Options
    To be absolutely correct about this, you will burn more calories wearing a sauna suit because your body is doing more metabolic work by making you sweat to cool you down. In a similar way, keeping your body warm burns more calories when you shiver.

But the amount of extra calories you burn will be tiny and get lost in the noise (variability) inherent in CICO.

They can also cause dehydration and screw up your electrolyte balance. And cause you to overheat because they don't let sweat do what it's supposed to do, which is to cool your body.

I agree and I wasn't advocating their use. Just commenting on the "weight loss" question.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I agree and I wasn't advocating their use. Just commenting on the "weight loss" question.

The "weight" that will be lost will be water. Once you rehydrate, the weight will return.

You do not burn more calories wearing a sauna suit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would I want to dehydrate myself? If anything, I want to stay well-hydrated during exercise, so it's an absolute NO!
  • BeauNash
    edited April 2017
    Options

The "weight" that will be lost will be water. Once you rehydrate, the weight will return.

You do. It's a tiny amount but you do.

Calories are required to sweat more. It's an extra metabolic process that needs energy.

You need to read my post that @AnvilHead quoted. As I said, in the grand scheme of things it won't lead to weight loss but it's not strictly correct to say you don't burn more calories.

ETA: And read my first post on this thread if you'd like an insight into my opinions on woo.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Calories are required to sweat more. It's an extra metabolic process that needs energy.

You need to read my post that @AnvilHead quoted. As I said, in the grand scheme of things it won't lead to weight loss but it's not strictly correct to say you don't burn more calories.

ETA: And read my first post on this thread if you'd like an insight into my opinions on woo.

I will admit that I missed your original post. Agreed that it will be a negligible amount and not worth considering.
  • BeauNash
    Options

I will admit that I missed your original post. Agreed that it will be a negligible amount and not worth considering.

Groovy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Except detoxing isn't a thing. That's what we have liver and kidneys for.