Breastfeeding

Options
Hey guys! I am just getting started and my default calorie goal is 1700 but I don't see a way to add calories to account for exclusive breastfeeding. I know it won't be groundbreaking or anything but I want to add those calories because I need them haha! What would you add? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you're full-time bfing, either add 500 calories, just put yourself on "maintain weight" and eat like that. You should lose 1 lb/week.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    you can also add breastfeeding as a exercise under cardio.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. Ignore the breastfeeding completely and you should lose. If after a few weeks you are not losing, then lower you calories a bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Or look in the food database for breastfeeding.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Or look in the food database for breastfeeding.

Yep theres several entries in the food dayabase to allow for the extra breastfeeding calories
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd go with maintenance calories and see how you go. Even if you express and measure all of your milk, it's difficult to calculate energy used. I lost my baby weight really quickly using MFP while breastfeeding.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I used the food entry for breastfeeding and it worked for me. Using the food entries is nice because you can use entries that give you fewer calories as baby starts nursing less. Eating at maintenance is a good idea too though, would be less work. But do whichever option works best for you!
  • w_villalba18
    w_villalba18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is the breastfeeding entry?