Food Bullies

Options
It’s seem like since I’ve started changing the way I look at food I see food bullies everywhere. From my home and family who feel as though the more calories the better to my work environment. I’m often pressured to eat this or just take a bite of that. I usually resist and hold my ground with a firm no thanks.
I work at a large corporation, but I have few co-workers in my dept/area. The majority of conversations are based upon food. What did you have for dinner? Are we ordering breakfast? What do you want to grab for lunch? Have you checked out the vending machine? Conversation about lunch starts at 9am and dinner at 1pm… And so on….
I work in a group of mostly 26-35yr olds who aren’t very health conscious. I’m not judging them that’s where they are at in their lives and so be it…
There are times I feel as though I am bullied for making healthy choices or bringing food from home. I do get picked on by a couple of people for my weight loss effort and for the changes I’ve made in my life. Its ok I’ve been teased all of my life for being overweight I guess in turn being teased for trying to lose it isn’t nearly as bad!
At home my BF tries to be supportive, but doesn’t grasp the meaning of the word. He thinks it’s ok if we have “junk food” in the house he will just ‘prevent’ me from eating it!
LOL
I just wondered if anyone else experienced food bullying at work or at home?

Replies

• donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Do you know how hard it is to have a cabinet full of oreos and a freezer full of ice cream? (both items are my kids favorites).
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'd say
    My boss has cookies from Busken bakery on her desk & today a co worker waved them under my nose
    I call that rude & uncalled for - next week, I'm gonna smear him with cottage cheese
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh don't get me started...I'm vegetarian. Certain members of my family and a lot of the people I work with figure that all vegetarians are going to start dropping dead from malnutrition at any moment. They just can't imagine how we can survive without eating some sort of flesh. Once you get past the annoyance factor it actually becomes kind of funny.:happy:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. What I can't stand is when I bring a healthy lunch and people look it over disscussing it. "What's in there" "What is that" "you're not going to eat that" "You're on that diet again"-once in front of clients. I have to eat it after they do that. Ech. It's like they've never seen a vegetable. At one point I gave up and did McDonalds (which I can't stand - throw up in the middle, come back and finish) every lunch just to avoid the problem. Gross.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes...I experience it so much more since my lifestyle change. Anywhere from "Oh you want this Big Mac, you know you want to eat some" to "You should try this, its not gonna hurt" I just want to be left alone...but apparently family or friends think I'm some sort of health nut but I'm not. There are times I eat some of the bad but on most cases I'm here to count my calories and exercise. I don't see what is wrong with the healthier lifestyle...its more like they might be jealous of my progress or just dont want to see me succeed. Trust me I get it no matter, but then there are a few who are nice enough to leave it alone because they know how hard I've worked.

Sorry that you have to go through that, remember to stay strong and it will pay off :flowerforyou:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I started to lose weight and really take stock in what I was putting into my body, I became a lot more aware of other people's unhealthy eating habits. They made me feel self conscious at first, but after I started feeling better from eating better, I felt sorry for the people that didn't know what they were missing. Always remember that you're making better choices that will make your life better, make you feel better, and help you live longer with no regrets. I don't think people make those comments consciously or in an effort to bully you. Some people are just jerks and feel the need to get on anybody who has a spine to do something with their lives, so ignore them. They are obviously jealous of your discipline and maturity. But whether the "bullying" is intentional or not, don't let it get you down :) You're doing great things for yourself and there's no reason to ever feel bad about that. :)

And about having junk food in the house, your guy needs to understand that it's not just a "diet", it's a lifestyle change. Which kinda means a pantry make over, lol. I always let my husband have things that he wants to have when we go grocery shopping, but he is very mindful of the fact that I want to cook healthy and keep healthy snacks in the house. Fortunately, he happens to like most of those healthy snacks, so it's a win win.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There are bullies everywhere. I think it's jealously. Of how much weight you've lost of the discipline it took to get there. You just have to be tough.

We had a new department head come in, and he thought he so generous by giving us a catered lunch in the executive dining room. I made no apologies when I brought my own food, knowing they wouldn't have much I could eat. (I'm on a low carb diet.) Frankly, I would have preferred a half day of vacation. We were away from our desks for almost 4 hours anyway. That would have gone a long way toward my morale. Not some lunch where I would have to exercise extreme willpower to resist the foods so freely available to me. I don't keep crap like that in the house because I don't have very strong willpower.
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    OMG...that is so funny! People suck and it seems they get worse the more you try to better yourself. It takes a big person to say "Hey! Great Job!" So just figure you had your problem and you're working on it. Kudos to you! They have their problem and it's trying to keep you down. Chin(s) up...pretty soon, they'll be noticing your progress, your sexier swagger, your positive attitude and they will ask you for help, and you will be the good you, that you are and be there...then they will feel like fools...

Keep up the good work.

Monica
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I totally know this one. I work in a deli next to the bakery. And almost no one there is trying to eat healthy. They have no problem with talking about food all day long and will happily suggest that I indulge everyday. *One time won't hurt, right?* But it is never one time is it? My workplace also has lots of food related events and all of them are horribly bad for you. I had to just stop attending them all together.

My family wants to support me, but are always asking me if I want some of the, bad for you, food that they are always consuming. It was months before I could convince my husband that buying me sugar-free energy drinks for me was much more thoughtful than any kind of candy or snacks would be.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. It's nice to know I'm not alone! :)
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Oh don't get me started...I'm vegetarian. Certain members of my family and a lot of the people I work with figure that all vegetarians are going to start dropping dead from malnutrition at any moment. They just can't imagine how we can survive without eating some sort of flesh. Once you get past the annoyance factor it actually becomes kind of funny.:happy:

lol yes I get that too!!! People are always trying to feed me.