Can you make a COME BACK??

Options
JayDavila
JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
Hey MFP's, I'm Jay.
Well I'm looking to make a come back, I've been on MFP before and was actually doing pretty well,. I started in at 190lbs. which may not sound bad but when you're 5-7 it's a lot, I was out of shape and looking to make a difference.
MFP helped me to get down to 165lbs and feeling great and still wanted to drop a few more pounds. I had a small mountain bike accident and with a few weeks of shoulder rehabilitation I kind of stopped and slacked.. became lazy,. I was doing good too.
That's not the case anymore, I've been slacking and it's just getting worse. I have beautiful 4yo. twin girls and I need to get back into things specially for them. They're even working out with me at home.
So here I am again, giving it another shot and 1 of the things I liked about MFP is when you have friends with similar goals- who you communicate with on a daily basis it keeps you accountable, keeps you motivated to do well because your friends are on the same path to improvement, you almost keep tabs on each other..

Feel free to send friend requests, all I ask is that you have your dairy available, you share your meal ideas/recipes, workout routines and or challenges etc. I will try to do the same.

**Currently on a 30 day fitness challenge**
From the Leap Fitness Group App

Replies

• SharronRochow
    SharronRochow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Jay!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Thank you,. Hope to stick to it.
  • steved1661
    steved1661 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Jay, sincere wishes for a great comeback.

I am a 66 year old man who, like yourself, was here before, evaporated for a while, and have recently returned. I agree, MFP is a great way to assist our nutritional goals. One thing, that if you didn't know, you might find helpful, both in healthy time, and other. One study, someplace on the web, basically identified that most people who are successful with their nutritional maintenance are the ones who go through the discipline of recording their efforts, both in good times (when we can workout) and bad (when we find true reasons, or maybe made up ones, NOT to put out a little more effort). I have to admit, I DO tend to be substantially more successful when I record my info, even if not working out.

As far as your request to keep my results updated daily, I will do my best.

You look substantially younger than myself, so I doubt I would have any workout routine suggestions that would help you. But, I will be glad to share any meals or recipes.

I've tried a few different programs, and have different successes with each one. The COMMON thought to all the programs is balance. Right now I'm using the GoLo program, learning how to eat properly (by their standards). It includes a reasonable number of recipes for "balanced" meals and snacks, so if you have a preference for any specific type of food, let me know, and I'll be glad to send what I've got.

Again, best wishes for continued progress, and maybe catch ya around.

Steve
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Steve,
    Thank you for the support and I welcome any information/help-suggestions from everyone. I am in the process of weeding out the not so great items in the fridge and pantry so I am open to try new things. I am very picky with so many things but open to try. It's so funny how I will sit and make perfectly healthy lunches for my girls, then end up eating out myself and usually fast foods. Even my little ones tell me soda is not good.. LOL time to practice what I preach to them.

I also agree with what you said about recording., it makes such a difference when you can double back and see the choices you made for food and how those foods will affect your goals day by day.
    Thanks again
  • twinmombb
    twinmombb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! And good luck!
    You got this!!! :)
  • JayDavila
    Options
    twinmombb wrote: »
    Welcome back! And good luck!
    You got this!!! :)

Thank you, hoping to keep at it. My girls will keep me on track, at 4yrs old they're more strict than any app I can use HAHAHA!

• twinmombb
    twinmombb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    /

Thank you, hoping to keep at it. My girls will keep me on track, at 4yrs old they're more strict than any app I can use HAHAHA!

I know exactly what you mean,, haha ,, mine use to keep me on my toes, They are now turning 21 and my 2 grandkids have taken over lol

• steved1661
    Options
    Good Morning, Jay and anyone else who comes here,

Thank you for the friend invite.

As might be insinuated from my earlier entry, at my age, I am retired. Being weak of mind, in the past I have gone on these multiple roller coasters of weight loss / gain. Sometimes for valid (well rationalized?) reasons, other times, just plain lazy. I've had a few incidents in my circle of family and friends that have caused me to take a second look my maintaining my health, so I'm back here with a new design on determination. I AM retired, so I look at my food maintenance as a part time job, and have the luxury of time to actually apply to the dream.

I have tried multiple programs, some just meal maintenance outlines, other subscription types which included dietary supplements. I DO have to agree that each program IS like the fine print on the box or the bottom of the TV screen. "Results will vary depending on diet and exercise". What I've found out is that you need the proper amount of BOTH. One without the other doesn't work.

I've also learned that PC (portion control) and food group interaction knowledge is key. I've had success with each program, but when I slip and need to "return to the fold", I will usually try something new. From my experience, the easiest program so far was to eat (still aiming for a total (adjusted) calorie intake at the end of the day), but eating 5-6 times a day. It took a week or two to experiment with foods that fit into the daily life cycle, but it did work. My son (33) had been grossly overweight since high school... changed his eating habits (only, no exercise other than that gained through work) per this program, and lost 20 pounds in 3 months.

(Hahahahahahah)... being retired, I could sit here and talk all day, but I'll leave at this point. If you have any specific recipes or anything, let me know. Hope to hear from you again as time permits.
  • steved1661
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just reread your post... one suggestion I found that might benefit you as a substitute for soda:

Get a few cheap 2-3 quart water containers (maybe the the $ Store)... and create "infused" water. At first I thought this was a bit silly, but cold, these really are refreshing. To about 2 quarts of water, about about 1/4 cup of any of the sliced items below... let it "infuse" for about an hour. Keep cold. They all supposedly have different, mild health benefits, and truly are refreshing.

- cucumber slices
    - lemon
    - lime
    - cinnamon (use sticks, the powder does NOT dissolve and just floats on top)
    - orange
    - grapefruit (put a slice in bottom of container and mash the pulp)

Let me know your thoughts if you try any (I would think your "healthy kids" might even enjoy a few of them)
  • JayDavila
    Options
    steved1661 wrote: »
    I just reread your post... one suggestion I found that might benefit you as a substitute for soda:

Get a few cheap 2-3 quart water containers (maybe the the $ Store)... and create "infused" water. At first I thought this was a bit silly, but cold, these really are refreshing. To about 2 quarts of water, about about 1/4 cup of any of the sliced items below... let it "infuse" for about an hour. Keep cold. They all supposedly have different, mild health benefits, and truly are refreshing.

- cucumber slices
    - lemon
    - lime
    - cinnamon (use sticks, the powder does NOT dissolve and just floats on top)
    - orange
    - grapefruit (put a slice in bottom of container and mash the pulp)

Let me know your thoughts if you try any (I would think your "healthy kids" might even enjoy a few of them)

Steve,
    The infused water is what I am actually starting to do now, I really don't like it but I do it because the girls love experimenting with trying different fruits, so although I think it is "Nasty" as far as the taste goes LOL LOL I"ll take the "creation" to work everyday because they've made it for me.
    Again it is kinda hard because I really do not like anything citrus, I've never liked anything sour since I was little so it's tough.
    I am interested in trying Cucumber/ Cinnamon and Mint.
    Thanks for the ideas