Question about posture

Options
blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
The majority of the day, I'm sitting usually. So I've been trying to correct the way I sit. The only thing I have a question on is this soreness in my upper back. I feel it mostly in my shoulders but also in shoulder blades and traps. Is this normal or is it just my body getting used to it

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    chances are what you are actually doing is overcompensating for hunched shoulders by pulling them back and down excessively (I do it).

try sitting forward in your seat - do not use the backrest
    imagine a thread from the crown of your head pulling you up
    let your head settle back onto your spine, you may want to tuck your chin in a little - everything comes from where the head is
    lift your chest up and out slightly
    keep your spine straightish and your pelvis curved in not forwards - this is why sitting forwards on the seat can help to position you properly.
    let the shoulders drop into a natural position

If you can sit like this comfortably for a while you are doing it right. Don't try and force anything, or pull anything back. If you can find an alexander technique teacher then even better - the best thing I learnt was not to 'do' anything to correct the posture, and allow the muscles to work naturally
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Another tip is make sure your computer screen is raised off the desk, so you are not looking down but looking straight ahead (with your chin slightly up). This tip came from my chiropractor and has helped me tremendously.