Vitamin D supplements/Fish Oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If 'fish oil' is going to have worrisome levels of mercury in it, it will be due to the source fish being high up the food chain. Krill are at the bottom of the food chain. Krill oil is more costly and less mercury hazard.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'm not a supplement person either, but it was recommended by my doctor late last year that I start taking D3 after he had some tests run and discovered that I was quite deficient.

It took awhile, but I notice now that I am not nearly as tired as I used to be, my anxiety has gone down (some) and that I'm generally not as irritable or depressed as I used to be.

P.S. I live in sunny SoCal (plenty of sunlight here) and was still super-deficient. It could be placebo effect, but honestly? I had no expectations and merely took it to get the doctor off my back, lol.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I never liked taking vitamins but the gummies are like starting my day with candy. I don't want to get out of bed but if I do I get gummies! And they don't upset my stomach but let's focus on the important part they taste like candy and make me happy first thing in the morning.

It sounds so ridiculous and childish, but...TRUTH! :D
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I never liked taking vitamins but the gummies are like starting my day with candy. I don't want to get out of bed but if I do I get gummies! And they don't upset my stomach but let's focus on the important part they taste like candy and make me happy first thing in the morning.

It sounds so ridiculous and childish, but...TRUTH! :D

It is so ridiculous and childish but now I take vitamins everyday and feel better and hopefully next time I have labs all my levels are normal. Life is to stressful we should all be ridiculous and childish a few minutes a day lol.
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I.take vit D. I noticed a huge change in my feelings of depression or just wanting to lay around and do nothing. Vit b12 as well affects your mood swings. Dr told me to take that because levels were low. Metformin affects vit b absorption so that was my problem. He said fish oil or fat would help with vit d absorption so if you are very strict with fats and take vit d it's not a bad idea. Not to mention the benefits of fish oil alone. I take vitamins in the morning and iron and metformin at night. Iron is one my Dr said to not take with other vitamins. So many of our bodies problems is vitamin deficiency, I'm glad my Dr helped me understand which supplements were what I needed and how to take them. I recommend taking to your Dr or nutritionist about what is best to heal your body.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I actually take both. I have a vitamin D deficiency, and when I hit 30 my skin dried out a lot. These are the two I take, the fish oil is really tasty and it does come in different flavors. The lemon one tastes like icing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGCBGZQ/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491322223&sr=sr-1&keywords=sports+research+d3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGCBGZQ/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491322223&sr=sr-1&keywords=sports+research+d3&th=1
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just ordered Viva Naturals Vitamin D3 - 5000 IU to take daily. I always feel lethargic, have mild depression/anxiety and just want to always lay around, so hopefully this helps!

Once I have my yearly exam in May, I may add Fish Oil to the mix also, if the Doctor recommends.

Thanks for all the input!