Drank too much water

Options
Hi all, I'm just new here, so hopefully this question hasn't been asked before.
I just started seeing a personal trainer and she told me to drink more water. So yesterday I forced myself to drink 8 glasses. I would usually only drink about 4 glasses of water a day.
Now today I feel so full and keep burping. I almost feel like I'm drowning!
Would anyone have any advice!?
Thanks in advance.
Brooke

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think 8 glasses of water in a day should have any noticeable affect on you. Your body takes in and processes out water all day every day, in fact your body is @ 60% water. What did you eat? Some people experience bloating or gas from carbonation, cruciferous veggies, beans, dairy, chewing gum, etc.

When I feel bloated it usually goes away in a few hours, maybe someone who struggles with bloating more will have more info.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    General rule is 8-8oz glasses a day. That's 64oz or just about 2liters a day. Maybe you drank more than that?
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Try to plan to drink your water half an hour before food or 2 hours after, it helps digestion.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how 64 oz of water one day is going to make you feel overly full and have a burping problem the next day.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There's no medical need to drink that much water. The recommendation to drink 8 ounces is based on a misinterpretation of a study from decades ago. And once the advice got out there, it got endlessly repeated without being questioned.

Here is a NY Times piece about it (written by an MD) with links to further resources (including peer-reviewed studies):

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

I actually don't drink much (if any) plain water at all. I do drink a lot of tea and the occasional diet soda and I put flavored BCAA powder in my water when I exercise and I am not dehydrated. (I do also stick to a generally low sodium diet and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.)
  • katecarr1998
    katecarr1998 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mummoid wrote: »
    Try to plan to drink your water half an hour before food or 2 hours after, it helps digestion.

Great suggestion! Spreading out drinking water throughout the day definitely helps! You could try and add some lemon in your water as well, as this is also beneficial to your digestive system! :)
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You probably also swallowed a bunch of air which is why you feel the way you do. Drinking that much water is not going to cause problems. I drink 80-100 oz a day and don't have issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    8x 8oz of water isn't very much...drink slower and throughout the day. Maybe you drank more than you think...it's really not very much.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There's no medical need to drink that much water. The recommendation to drink 8 ounces is based on a misinterpretation of a study from decades ago. And once the advice got out there, it got endlessly repeated without being questioned.

Here is a NY Times piece about it (written by an MD) with links to further resources (including peer-reviewed studies):

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

I actually don't drink much (if any) plain water at all. I do drink a lot of tea and the occasional diet soda and I put flavored BCAA powder in my water when I exercise and I am not dehydrated. (I do also stick to a generally low sodium diet and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.)

This. I use the colour of my urine as my hydration indicator. There's liquid in my coffee and food so in reality I don't need much more liquids to top up my needs.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I drink 128oz of water a day if not more... When I first started out the nutritionist told me to drink half my body weight in water each day, I struggled but I guzzled it down. After a couple weeks it just became habit and it kept me full and free from grazing/snacking because I always felt full. It never made me feel sick though. I am going on my 5th month of drinking that same amount of water daily even though I have lost 48lbs since starting. For me, it keeps me full, my skin looks great and well I guess it is habit now because I really only drink water other than adult beverages and seltzer on occasion :p I know they say you don't need that much water and water doesn't help with weight loss but when I started this journey I followed the nutritionist orders, now I just drink it because I want to. If it continues to make you feel ill, i would contact your dr, maybe another issue going on. Good luck!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    8 glasses doesn't tell us volume. How many fl oz was each glass?

But burping was probably somehow swallowing air too. Drink slower. Too much water would cause an electrolyte balance and cause different symptoms.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How big was that glass? The broscience that the .gov dispenses on the topic is 8 cups and a cup is 8 oz and 8x8 is 64 oz.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    mummoid wrote: »
    No. Your stomach is strong enough to produce enough acid no matter if you dilute it.

My grandma actually got a throat abcess from refusing to drink near meals.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm just new here, so hopefully this question hasn't been asked before.
    I just started seeing a personal trainer and she told me to drink more water. So yesterday I forced myself to drink 8 glasses. I would usually only drink about 4 glasses of water a day.
    Now today I feel so full and keep burping. I almost feel like I'm drowning!
    Would anyone have any advice!?
    Thanks in advance.
    Brooke

If you are still burping hours after drinking water, I would suggest drinking it through a straw. It sound like you are swallowing a lot of air with that liquid.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Maybe the burping was caused by something else you had? 64 oz isn't that much, or were your glass sizes larger.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Maybe the burping was caused by something else you had? 64 oz isn't that much, or were your glass sizes larger.

This too. What did you eat and how was it different to previous days when you didn't burp?
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention that your trainer told you 8 glasses, just that she said more than 4. So it sounds like the 8 glasses idea came from somewhere else - is that right? If it was your trainer's idea, you might want to let her know that 8 glasses made you uncomfortable.

I tried the 8-glasses-a-day routine too, and it was really too much for me. Not that it was dangerous or anything, but just much more than I needed or wanted.