Exercise how many days a week?

Options
So I started MFP in the middle of May this year, and lost 10 lbs like it was nothing. I now have 20 more lbs to go. However, with the beginning of summer, vacations, etc., my weight loss has come to a standstill. I am currently on week 5 of the couch to 5k running program, so I do that 3 days a week. On the other days, I try to either power walk, do walk away the pounds, or some other kind of cardio. At the beginning of the week, I feel motivated, but after about 4 days, I feel exhausted and discouraged and usually quit exercising completely for that week and start eating even more. So here's my question: how often do you guys exercise? Would it be better for me to switch to 3 days a week and keep my motivation up, or keep going with about 6 days a week and have a better chance at budging the scale?

Replies

• mikihainesy
    Options
    Hi Ya
    This is exactly my story, weight, time, motivation etc
    I exercise every day but it varies. 4 days a week I try to do gym (cardio, light weights, and swimming) then the other days I just make sure I'm active i.e walk where i would usually drive or do wii zumba or dance.
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise 5-6 days a week, but if I feel exhaused, like you do, then I listen to my body and give myself a rest day. Sometimes I'll give myself a rest week, and only work out 2-3 times, or I will do lighter exercises. I also may go over my calories on one or two days, but I always get right back to it. Don't let missing a day discourage you. Just get right back to business!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I exercise 6 days a week, but I'm also training for a few half marathons. You might not be 1. sleeping enough or 2. eating enough. Both will effect your energy levels. Try working out two days, then taking a rest day, then 2 more days, etc. This will mean that some weeks you're working out 4 days/week and others 5. At first, you will be tired, but your body will adjust and you will slowly start to gain more energy from the exercise. Just start slow and then build yourself up!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i work out at home 5 days a week and go to the gym 3-6 days a week
    i change my home workout every 30 days
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I get a lot accomplished working out 3 days per week. I lift weights for 30-35 mins and then run for about 45-60 minutes on each of the 3 days. The fat is melting off me since I began this routine!
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    95 days in a row for me working out. so i am 7 days a week, every week.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do 3 days on, 1 day off...so some weeks I work out 6 days some 5 days... that totally works for me because by the 4th day..my body is exhausted and I'm working out with half the intensity if I do that 4th day..
  • MamaWonderMonkey
    MamaWonderMonkey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 easy, no problem. I was eating right and mostly walking every day. Then I plateaued. For about a month nothing I was trying to helping to get things going. I regrouped on my calorie intake and fitness style and that's when I joined the gym it kicked my dieting into high gear and in a month I lost 11lbs. I prefer to work out 5 days in a row and take two days off, which I stay active during because they're the weekend. I guess it's a preference thing.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week, do other cardio 2 days and barely move on the remaining day.
    My DOR absolutely sucks because my calorie need is low, so I barely get to eat. It also happens to be Monday...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I walk to the train station and back every day - I walk at a reasonable pace - and the quick way that gives me a 20 minute walk...some days I will take the long way home to give me a bit more walking....

Other than that I do 2 hard training sessions in the gym -60 to 90 minutes of weight and cardio...

I am happy with this as my base exercise - anything over this then becomes a bonus - but I don't stress if I can't get it in....

Having said that I have just started c25k too...and just because I am too damn competitive I do now stress a bit on how to work these three runs into my week :-)
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i work out 5xs a week for 2hrs or more and have the weekends off.no excuses

..and i have not missed a day since i began in may 2011.

once you come up with your workout plan stick to it and allow yoursef no excuses, that is how you keep going, that is how you become committed.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I work out 6-7 days a week...usually no more than 1 hour each day due to time crunches! It's worked so far !:)
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 5-6 days a week. :)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The best exercise routing is the one you'll stick to.