Keto - Opening a can of worms

Options
I'm probably opening the proverbial can of worms here but.... here goes.

I've been eating clean for a few months. Dropped about 20lbs. I have an event coming up in a couple of weeks and want to shed a few more rather quickly. Is Keto worth the temporary switch? If so, about how much of a drop can I expect?

Any "been there, done that" personal experience?

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What does eating clean mean?

Switching in and out of keto can have uncomfortable side effects - not recommended

Switching to keto can cause fast weight loss - but its only water - not real weight loss

Worms are ok on keto - so long as they have not been fed rice
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Temporarily switching to keto to lose some water weight before your event may cause some interesting effects if you then go to the event and start eating carby foods. Be prepared for the possibility of enjoying the entire event from a toilet stall.
  • LYL353
    LYL353 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    clean diet = no processed food, sugars, alcohol, etc.

I'm okay with only water weight or a temporary weight loss for this event. (I know that sounds unhealthy.)

Should I fry the worms or broil them?
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I always lost 5-7 lbs the first week or two of Keto (did it 3-4 times over the years). The weight loss stops for me after that and will come immediately back upon introduction of carbs. If you're thinking of Keto to lose for a special event my advice would be drop carbs way down 1-2 weeks before and don't re-introduce carbs til the day after the event. The first few days to a week of Keto are awful so definitely give it at least a week before event so you don't feel like poop at the event.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fry- with butter or coconut oil, wrapped in bacon.

Honestly, in my opinion keto isn't worth a short term switch up. It works best when you get fat adapted for actual weight loss, if you're interested in losing water weight, just take a diuretic. If you're doing any diet you've already lost the majority of the water weight you have to lose.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Worms, last I checked, are keto. . .

Seriously, though: keto is a viable short term solution to break a plateau. Keep your hydration levels even, though
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    LYL353 wrote: »
    clean diet = no processed food, sugars, alcohol, etc.

I'm okay with only water weight or a temporary weight loss for this event. (I know that sounds unhealthy.)

Should I fry the worms or broil them?

If you are on Keto - fry with liberal amounts of coconut oil
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When I needed to fit into my bridesmaid dress with only 2 weeks to spare before the wedding, I did a zero-carb diet. Bacon, eggs, butter, oil, chicken thighs, steaks, pork-chops, fish, salt, seasoning, hot sauce. I dropped about 10lbs (mostly in water weight of course) and the dress fit perfectly. My stomach bloating also disappeared and left my midsection looking very trim. I also felt really good.

I obviously don't want to follow such a restrictive diet for the rest of my life, but it worked great in that particular situation. I have followed a keto diet on and off for several years so switching to zero-carb wasn't a huge leap for me.

Just make sure to stay WELL-hydrated and make sure your sodium, potassium and magnesium levels are up. Nu-Salt or something similar with Magnesium tablets is great.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Fresh worms are far superior to canned.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think I'd just Spanx up and keep with the diet that's already working for you.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If you want to drop 2-3lbs of water fast and temporarily slash your carbs to less than 20 but I suspect that if you're already eating relatively clean and in a deficit your glycogen stores aren't going to provide you the miracle you are hoping for.