How accurate is Polar H7?

Options
_Fly_
_Fly_ Posts: 25 Member
I just bought Polar H7 (chest strap). I still have a functioning Polar T7 (strap and watch). After my cardio (brisk walk/light jogging, 6miles) the calorie numbers are insanely high. I tried it for a week every day. I also use MapMyFitness (it's compatible with H7) and the calorie burn there is 40% less. Should I return the H7? MapMyFitness gives me a generic calorie count which (with or without the HRM) is more or less the same. I'm really interested in tracking my calories after each workout, but can it be done? (please don't even mention any fitbits and the likes). Polar H7 was recommended by a lot of people I trust, but the calorie count is ridiculously high. :(

Replies

• Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and for me it's quite accurate.

But you have to keep in mind that all HRMs are just estimation tools. Still an HRM is way more accurate than the MyFitness tools or all other pre-set calculated burns, as at least it's based on your own heart rate rather than a static number in the formula.

I'd recommend you reading this blog post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

• EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a new Nautilus bike a couple of weeks ago and also got the Polar H7 chest strap. The rate has heart rate sensors on the handles. You setup your user profile on the bike (weight, height, age, gender, etc.). I have found the heart rate on the bike console and the Polar Beat app for for H7 to be right on with each other most of the time. At the most there is one heartbeat difference. As for calorie burn they are pretty close. For a 30 minute session the H7 shows about 10 to 20 more calories burned than the bike console. I use my heart rate zone I was in to check MFP in the exercise section and it gives about another 20 to 30 calories. So for MFP I would guess it is using middle way of the activity level for an exercise.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    what are you using to get the data? the H7 works better when you can set your V02 max.
  • _Fly_
    Options
    I am using my iPhone and the Polar Beat app. I also have a Polar FT7 watch and a chest strap and the reading is the same. I get around 900 calories after a brisk 6m walk (1hr 15min). That's impossible.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Look at your HR chart, for me it's usually up and down during walking, which can throw the reading off. they are better for steady state cardio.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    _Fly_ wrote: »
    I am using my iPhone and the Polar Beat app. I also have a Polar FT7 watch and a chest strap and the reading is the same. I get around 900 calories after a brisk 6m walk (1hr 15min). That's impossible.

well, what's your heart rate average during this time.

Also, do you have your information set up with your height, weight, age, etc.? I agree, it sounds like it is high, but then again if you are very overweight and your intensity level if very high, it may not be that off.

I personally have 0 problems with my H7 and i've never gotten a wonky reading.
  • _Fly_
    Options
    Please, I'm not obese, I'm not even overweight. And of course I have set my height, weight, age, etc
    I would really like to hear from someone who is an expert in this. I can do my own online research and I'm not interested in hypothetical guesses.
    This is a very highly regarded product and so I'm very surprised how inaccurate its readings are. ScubaSteve, you might be right. I go from walking to jogging to walking. So my heart rate jumps up and down. But it's rather disappointing that the HRM cannot follow through with the changes. :/
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Please, I'm not obese, I'm not even overweight. And of course I have set my height, weight, age, etc
    I would really like to hear from someone who is an expert in this. I can do my own online research and I'm not interested in hypothetical guesses.
    This is a very highly regarded product and so I'm very surprised how inaccurate its readings are. ScubaSteve, you might be right. I go from walking to jogging to walking. So my heart rate jumps up and down. But it's rather disappointing that the HRM cannot follow through with the changes. :/

Okay... call polar then. Stop trying to get random people on a forum to guess what the possible problem could be.

Tell them exactly what it's doing. What your HR average is, how it is off, if it's dropping your readings, etc. We can't all just tell you exactly what the problem is because it doesn't sound normal.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have an H7 that started acting erratically. It would jump from 60bpm to 250bpm. I swapped the battery, tried using electrostatic gel, new strap and reset the device. None of that worked. I sent the monitor into Polar and they replaced it under warranty.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue! I think its way higher than it's supposed to be it can't be accurate... It says I burned 790 calories in 45 mins ain't no Way...my ft7 was way more accurate
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    But you have to keep in mind that all HRMs are just estimation tools.

So much no.

HRMs are sensors to count heart beats. (Not to estimate calories.)
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Well if you want an expert on this then why not call the company??? This is not a polar forum. Go there for starters. People was just trying to help. SMH.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As an HRM the H7 is amazingly accurate - with reading statistically identical to medical Class A quality HRMs.

The caloric burn algorithm on the other hand varies widely. The closer you are to the specific test subject criteria - that being long steady state cardio exercises - specifically running and biking - the more accurate you are. I've been using a Polar for years, but ignore the calorie estimates.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Unless you weigh 300 lbs.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't use my H7 for determining calories burned. I use it for monitoring my heart rate while exercising.