Ideas for healthy, quick weeknight meals that are kid-friendly

Options
midlomel1971
midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
I know I can't be the only busy parent with kids who have activities most evenings. For the next couple months we have after-school activities almost every night of the week, so planning for healthy dinners around the table are so hard for me. Before I would have (sadly) relied on fast-food or take-out, but I'm dedicated to healthier eating. I know this requires a lot of planning ahead of time, but I'm good with that. Please share your favorite kid-friendly, quick meals!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    English muffin pizzas (small and portion controlled), burritos on lowcarb/low cal tortillas (as easy as draining a can of chili for the filling). Home made chicken nuggets.

Kids are a tough bunch and super picky, so your milage will vary. In the end you have to be the adult and make sure they are eating what you tell them is appropriate. My policy is if you don't like it, you don't eat. And if you don't eat your vegetables you get no praise.
  • midlomel1971
    Options
    There's really no such thing as "kid-friendly" food. Kids are human, just like us and have preferences, so it would help to know what exactly it is your kids don't like? My younger cousin was eating sauerkraut, pickled eggs, brussel sprouts, raw onions, and even beans. She would drink black coffee when she could sneak it, too. She always refused mushrooms, cheese that wasn't melted, and ketchup. She's 15 now and still won't eat most of those foods. Meanwhile, my other cousin is 13 now and a really adventurous eater. Oysters have been a favorite of his since he could talk, but the kid refuses to eat macaroni and cheese, anything in sandwich form, and fast food french fries.

HOWEVER, I do recommend getting an Instant Pot if you can afford one! The smallest size is $79. It's an electric pressure cooker that saves the day for me all the time. I've made enough chicken soup to last a week using a whole chicken in 35 minutes. It really is a time saver.

My son is autistic and he has texture issues and he pretty much only wants to eat hot dogs and chicken nuggets or bread (And the grosser the chicken nugget, the better...I make homemade nuggets, but he won't touch them.) He refuses to eat vegetables, and yes, I've been trying to sneak them to him for all of his 7 years. Thank god he'll eat fruit. So, when I say kid-friendly, I mean nothing exotic.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Utilize the crock pot!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti - make a pot of meat sauce on the weekend using ground turkey and turkey sausage
    Tacos - add 1/2 can low fat refried beans to the meat mixture
    BBQ Chicken bowls with roasted sweet potatoes (cube sweet potatoes and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder - roast at 425 for 20 minutes. Move to the side of the sheet pan and add 1 lb chicken breasts brushed with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce - roast another 20 minutes. Shred the chicken and toss with more BBQ and serve with the sweet potatoes and steamed or roasted broccoli.

Go to Pinterest and search for sheet pan dinners - 30-45 minutes and only 1 pan to clean. Lot of BBQ and Ranch options to please kids.
  • midlomel1971
    Options
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    Utilize the crock pot!

I love the crockpot! However, I work full-time so I'm gone from the house for 10 1/2 hours (from 7:30 to 6). Most crockpot recipes are not designed to go that long. I have a few good ones, but a lot of recipes call for for 4-6 hours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think kid friendly is going to be pretty subjective. Even between my two kiddos, their eating preferences are hugely different. My youngest is a true carnivore and will devour pretty much any kind of fish, meat, or poultry that you put in front of him...we're thinking my oldest (7) is probably going to end up being a vegetarian...he detests beef in any form...he doesn't like fish...and he will sometimes eat some chicken, but not often.

Both of my kiddos are pretty good with anything carby except potatoes...not even french fries. Neither are particularly good at this point with veg except for carrots and cucumbers, but they like fruit. They both have an affinity for Greek yogurt.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    Utilize the crock pot!

I love the crockpot! However, I work full-time so I'm gone from the house for 10 1/2 hours (from 7:30 to 6). Most crockpot recipes are not designed to go that long. I have a few good ones, but a lot of recipes call for for 4-6 hours.

That's my problem too. I have to cook meats from solid frozen because I'm gone too long.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Utilize your Crockpot. I use mine several times a week. Get on Pinterest if you're not there and search for healthy Crockpot meals. You'll have so many you won't be able to cook them all :)

I work full time too and am gone at least 10 hours. I just turn it on low and it's good when I get home. Even if the recipe says 6 hours.

ETA: I also use my Crockpot on the weekends to cook up a huge pot of chicken, then I shred it, put it in several Ziploc bags and freeze it. You can always find something quick to do with shredded chicken. Heck some nights I'll just microwave it and we put it on buns and eat it like that. Last night I made a 6lb pork roast in a BBQ sauce, shredded it and had so much left over that I froze individual serving sizes. Just pop them in the microwave for a quick sandwich. Even the kids can do that (age appropriate, of course).

I'll also brown a whole bunch of ground beef on the weekends, portion it out, freeze it and pull it out for casseroles, etc.

The other week I made hearty chicken and noodles and froze what we didn't eat. That will come out at some point. I'll reheat it and we'll have an easy, simple dinner.
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do the sheet dinners with the Ranch dip packet. I just sprinkle it on chicken or pork then put any veggie and mini or cut up potatoes on the sides. I can't believe how flavorful the meat is and the seasoning actually sticks without any prepping like egg or flour.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There's really no such thing as "kid-friendly" food. Kids are human, just like us and have preferences, so it would help to know what exactly it is your kids don't like? My younger cousin was eating sauerkraut, pickled eggs, brussel sprouts, raw onions, and even beans. She would drink black coffee when she could sneak it, too. She always refused mushrooms, cheese that wasn't melted, and ketchup. She's 15 now and still won't eat most of those foods. Meanwhile, my other cousin is 13 now and a really adventurous eater. Oysters have been a favorite of his since he could talk, but the kid refuses to eat macaroni and cheese, anything in sandwich form, and fast food french fries.

HOWEVER, I do recommend getting an Instant Pot if you can afford one! The smallest size is $79. It's an electric pressure cooker that saves the day for me all the time. I've made enough chicken soup to last a week using a whole chicken in 35 minutes. It really is a time saver.

My son is autistic and he has texture issues and he pretty much only wants to eat hot dogs and chicken nuggets or bread (And the grosser the chicken nugget, the better...I make homemade nuggets, but he won't touch them.) He refuses to eat vegetables, and yes, I've been trying to sneak them to him for all of his 7 years. Thank god he'll eat fruit. So, when I say kid-friendly, I mean nothing exotic.

If your son has a set list of food he is willing to eat, then why are you posting here? Most of us will not understand your son's needs like you will and those needs have nothing to do with requiring "kid-friendly" food (which is really just junk food).
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Utilize your Crockpot. I use mine several times a week. Get on Pinterest if you're not there and search for healthy Crockpot meals. You'll have so many you won't be able to cook them all :)

I work full time too and am gone at least 10 hours. I just turn it on low and it's good when I get home. Even if the recipe says 6 hours.
    If you're using a meatless recipe, you can always put the crockpot on a timer to switch on whenever you want.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

If your son has a set list of food he is willing to eat, then why are you posting here? Most of us will not understand your son's needs like you will and those needs have nothing to do with requiring "kid-friendly" food (which is really just junk food).

I'm not expecting anyone to know my son's needs. I have another child to cook for. When I said "kid-friendly", I mean foods that are not too fancy and that are easy to plan and make. Other parents will get what I mean. I appreciate all of the great ideas! I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad.

I'm a parent and I have no idea what you are looking for. *shrug*
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    instapot for the win - you can make many crockpot based meals in about 1/4 the time (if that) - I made risotto in like 15min one night with butternut squash (so good - but may have that texture issue).

skinnytaste.com - is a blog I use and she has kid friendly recipes tagged - http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/kid-friendly/
  • midlomel1971
    Options

I'm not expecting anyone to know my son's needs. I have another child to cook for. When I said "kid-friendly", I mean foods that are not too fancy and that are easy to plan and make. Other parents will get what I mean. I appreciate all of the great ideas! I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad.

I'm a parent and I have no idea what you are looking for. *shrug*

Just ideas for quick dinners. It's really not that hard.
  • midlomel1971
    Options
    instapot for the win - you can make many crockpot based meals in about 1/4 the time (if that) - I made risotto in like 15min one night with butternut squash (so good - but may have that texture issue).

skinnytaste.com - is a blog I use and she has kid friendly recipes tagged - http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/kid-friendly/

Great website! Thank you!!
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell you that I completely understand why you're looking for. Not sure why some people are trying to be rude....it's pretty easy to just not comment. Lol.

Anyway, I have 3 kids and we are busy a lot too. Taco night is huge at our house and fairly easy to make it healthier. My kids also like those English muffin pizzas. My dad makes these tortilla pizzas in the microwave with low calorie tortillas. He just microwaves the tortilla until it's crunchy (patting bubbles down and flipping every 30-60 sec) and then puts pizza toppings on it and microwaves it for another minute. My kids love those.

I'm not a fan of crockpot meals. I try to like them and I love the convienence but I don't like the texture of the meat. That skinnytaste site is awesome though. I've made several recipes from there and we've loved them all.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried freezer meal prepping? I have recipes from a direct sales company, but you could make your own. The trick is you prep everything you can fresh, then freeze in cooked. You thaw the night before and when you get home all you have to do is cook. I can make meatloaf in 20-25 or so minutes because I Have the meat prepped and just divide into muffin tins for quick cooking. You can use a couple tablespoons of oil and your favorite seasonings on pork chops/chicken/fish. Freeze already seasoned and you just have to throw it in the oven or on the grill when you get home. We do a lot of prepackaged pasta and rice sides for my kids, I tend to skip these and opt for a salad instead. I add a steamer pack of veggies and dinner is done! Other than those basic meals, homemade pizza, taco bar, homemade soup, pasta bar are all our favorites.

Oh and I work full time too, a crock pot with a timer has helped cut down on overlooking my crock pot meals.