I know my goal maybe small.... but its a stepping stone for me...

Options
I have failed every diet that I have attempted to pursue, any that the doctors perscribed, diet pills, ect. I understand my goal weight of "only" 40lbs is small to some people, but that "only" 40lbs is the start I need to feel successful and acomplished. We all gotta start somewhere I would prefer to lose 140lbs, but I know that goal is unrealistic if I continue to fail. I would love to recieve friends to help me on my journey, I want to be happy with my body and be healthy.

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. You got this :)
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think anything is possible, but I would shoot for smaller goals 1-2 lbs a week so you can celebrate these while progressing forward. Just make the promise to yourself.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think for me a smaller change is then way. I can't grasp those huge numbers, so my first goal is to control my sugar and insulin,then 10 kilos, then 5 more and so on. You can do this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I am ALL about the baby steps! I did a series of "5%" goals-- I'd set my goal to lose 5% of my body weight at a time. Eventually lost 60 lbs that way!

One step in front of the other, baby!
    https://youtu.be/OORsz2d1H7s
  • GetFitandDontQuit
    GetFitandDontQuit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You just need to train in new eating habits. And that's hard and takes time, and patience, and practice. It also involves knowing the old habits are hiding around the corner and will bite you every so often. That's common, but frustrating. Learning to handle the "I blew it" moments is what many of the posts on the support boards are about. For many of us that's the ongoing struggle. One step at a time. Just log for two weeks, and see how that goes. Then cut out an item or two for a couple of weeks. Make it something you can live with for life.
  • Findingmyhappyme
    Findingmyhappyme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd break it down, maybe into 10lbs at a time? Then you can have a little reward at each milestone! I had treats like new shoes, a massage etc x
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I think small goals are the way to do it. That's what I did!! Think of it more a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I have found that MFP put things into perspective for me and I have learned portion control and how to make better choices. I wish you all the best!!!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming! I took my total weight loss goal and broke it into 10 increments, which made it so much easier. I like that 5% breakdown too. Either way, slow and steady changes will get you there. Best of luck!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Big goals break down to a lot of little break.
    A 40 pound loss is 40 1 pound losses.
    1 pound losses come down to 3500 1 calorie losses.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with setting mini-goals along the way. Do what works for you!
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good luck. All the best :)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a goal that is "small" when it comes to this journey (in my opinion). The small-ish goals all add up to bigger ones in the end and I've found that they have kept this a more sustainable journey (for me).

I like to work down in five pound increments because it's easier (for me) to see a result at the end of the month instead of being overwhelmed by the number I still have left to lose. It also enables me to work on something not related to weight like sodium or sugar intake, getting more water or fiber in or increasing my fitness abilities (slowly).

You do whatever works best for you and that remains sustainable!
  • Babycarrot337
    Babycarrot337 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm doing small goals. 5 lbs in April!!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Small goals are the way to success, imho. I've set my loss to .5lb a week, lets me eat a ton and still go in the right direction!