TDEE question

Options
I've finished losing weight and decided to put some weight on now. Started Stronglifts programme and need to eat at least maintenance and maybe a surplus soon.

So I've worked my TDEE out at 2600. Have been active today, walked 13,500 steps so am aiming for my 2600 cals. Was just wondering though - if you had a really lazy day for some reason / maybe were ill. What cals would you eat? Would you still go for 2600 with the idea that it will average out of the course of a week? Or would you eat a bit less that day? Just curious as it's the first time I've gone via the TDEE route. While losing weight I was just making sure I was in a 500 cal deficit everyday. Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One lazy day won't make a difference...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TDEE is "total daily energy expenditure". If you are less active than what you used in your calculation, you would eat less, because you are using less energy. That's if you want to keep in balance each day. Just one day off won't drastically affect your weekly totals and likely would balance out. However, we don't know how you arrived at your TDEE so it's really hard to say.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with @lorrpb. It depends on how you calculated your TDEE. One lazy day shouldn't make any difference.
  • Alpine0021
    Alpine0021 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I did a load of TDEE online calculators and took an average. I set the exercise level as Moderate Exercise (3-5 days per week). This programme is heavy lifting 3 times a week although it's not that heavy just yet - its progressive every workout so will get heavy. Then my fitness band says I've averaged over 10,000 steps a day since I bought it about 3 or 4 months ago.

I'm just consciously aware that I can put too much fat on if I'm not careful. I eat enough protein (the programme suggests 1g per lb as it's a muscle building programme) and enough fat.

My BMR is around 1700 so if I was really lazy or unwell for a day or more would I still eat my 2600? Sounds like a lot to eat if you've done nothing for whatever reason or will it just average out over time.

Hope that made sense!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So start with 2400 for 4-6 weeks and see what the scale does?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? M/F ht wt age?
    @TavistockToad has good suggestions ^^. If it's a lazy day, maybe 2000. You'll always need more than BMR.