Morning Runs?

Options
I am wondering if any of you run in the morning, and if so, how you get the motivation to do it. It seems like the morning for me is the best time to exercise, because then I get it out of the way and unexpected conflicts don't put me behind. Every morning for the past week, I have woken up ready and motivated to get running. However, by the time I make my bed, get dressed, and drink some water, I lose all my drive, and end up laying back down and sleeping for another hour. Is there any way I can avoid this? Also, on weekends, do you guys set an alarm and get up to run, or just run when you wake up?

Replies

• adlerner
    adlerner Posts: 2
    Options
    I just pinch the fat on my body...but I agree it's tough especially if you don't like running. You can jump rope, ride bike...try to alternate
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Sounds like you should just get up and go! Make the bed later. Carpe diem, I say. :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The key is not to do anything in the AM that will distract you!

I get out of bed (I sometimes hit snooze once, but get up before it goes off).
    I lay out my clothes/running shoes
    Use the bathroom
    Stretch, drink water
    Set up my iPhone/running app
    Hit the road

You can do your "chores" after the run. They will still be there when you get back.
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 5:30 or 6 am (depending on the day) and eat 1/2 a Think Thin protein bar as soon as I turn my alarm off. This gives me a bit of energy and prevents me from hitting the snooze bar (which I've always been a slave to until I started doing this).

I get up, get ready and GO to the gym, and hit the treadmill. I warm up for a 3 - 4 minute brisk walk then start jogging a 10 min mile. I only run 2 or 3 days a week, I do other things to mix it up. My knees tend to bother me if I run 2 days in a row.

Good luck!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It becomes habit after a while. Just get up and go, stop making excuses, sleep when your dead!!!
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mornings are better for me too but if I do it in the morning I'm late for work! I'm pooped of the evening but I DO IT! If you have to do mornings skip making the bed. Take your water with you. Anything that's gonna get you out that door. Good luck!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    That should read, I put on my running clothes/shoes that I laid out the night before....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the morning because I prefer to run on an empty stomach, but I never ever ever ever get up early to do so. I run after dropping the children off at school/nursery during term time, and only while staying at my parents or in laws in the holidays. The rest of the time I am limited to running at weekends, or in the evening after my husband gets in from work, which is only possible in the summer holidays as he doesn't get in until 7pm, and we live in the country so can't run after dark as no lights.
  • MarieOrangeFTW
    MarieOrangeFTW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always run in the morning, though I can't run without my music.

For me it's best to just get up and go. I also think to myself, I would rather run when there is less people outside to watch and that usually gets me out the door, lol. It takes a lot of work to get into it, but once you've been doing it for awhile it gets easier.

Good luck.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I just pinch the fat on my body...but I agree it's tough especially if you don't like running. You can jump rope, ride bike...try to alternate

Hahaha so true!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, once you do it for a week it's easy. That being said, lay out your running clothes the night before, roll out of bed and put them on immediately. Once you get the running clothes on it's easy! Just get out of the door as quick as possible!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to make the bed...I'm just going to get back in it later! Only time the bed is made is when I strip the sheets to wash.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    I run early ( like 5 am) on my run days, my motivation is that I live in Texas, so if I wait and run any later it will be 110 degrees outside! Have you ever tried running in 110 degree weather with the sun beating down on you? That's enough motivation for me. Once the sun comes up it's too late!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Getting up in the morning is never easy!!!!! I am not human before 8am. It physically hurts having to get up before 8 for the school run. Most of the time I don't, and am late.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Don't make the bed or do anything you don't HAVE to do. Just go run! I get up before everyone else and just go before I can find and excuse not to. By the time I get back, get something to eat, take a shower, etc. my energy level is up I'm not even interested in climbing back into bed.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I get up 3 days a week to run @5:20am... And trust me, I HATE (*snap rubber band on wrist*) it, but gosh golly! It gets so hot here, that that is the only time of day cool enough to go running without getting heat stroke. The only way I manage it is by laying my clothes out the day before, then after the alarm goes off (and having a "I don't want to, you got to, you promised yourself and your husband, but I just wanna sleep, you'll just stay fat" conversation with myself in about 30 sec) I grab them, go to the bathroom, rinse with mouthwash (faster than brushing, but I can't run with nightmouth), get dressed and walk out the door. I make sure to turn on lights too... not lamps, but real lights that wake me up. I'm always out the door within 10min of my alarm going off. Making breakfast, showers, dishes, bedmaking... it all happens afterward. It's kinda like cleaning your house. If you ever sit down in the middle of it, you're never gonna get bak up and finish. :tongue:
  • jayruth
    jayruth Posts: 7
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't think about how you are going for a run. Just think "I need to get up" then " I need to get dressed" then "I need a drink of water" then "I ned to go outside". That way, you trick yourself into the run. As soon as you think about how you have to get up, get dressed, go out and run for 30 mins (or whatever you do) all sweaty and hurty it all becomes too much first thing in the morning and it becomes easier to get back into bed.

That's how I do it, anyway. Good luck!!
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I run early ( like 5 am) on my run days, my motivation is that I live in Texas, so if I wait and run any later it will be 110 degrees outside! Have you ever tried running in 110 degree weather with the sun beating down on you? That's enough motivation for me. Once the sun comes up it's too late!

Yes, me too!
  • clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    thanks for all of your responses! ok, 1 more question: do you guys drink any water before you run? I feel like this slows me down, because I need to wait about 20 minutes so I don't get cramps while I run, but I am afraid that I will be dehydrated if I don't hydrate when I get up.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do, and I am NOT a morning person. But 2-3 days a week, I meet my friends at the local high school's track in the morning to do the C25K. Because I'm meeting other people, there's more pressure on me to make it happen at a certain time. I really enjoy doing it with them, and wouldn't want to miss it. We probably will move the time up later, in the fall when the temp cools off a bit, but for right now, morning is our best bet. Knowing that if I put it off even an hour, it will be too hot to run and I'll have missed my chance for the day (and missed the company) gets me going. That and the fact that I feel great after I do it... so even if I feel like 4-hours-of-sleep-what-is-up-with-my-teething-baby-ugh when the clock goes off, I mentally reach for the "It's so worth it!" feeling that overrides the desire to hit the snooze for another three hours. Before you go to sleep, maybe mentally rehearse waking up in the morning, see yourself doing it, go over some of your most motivating reasons why you want to do it (which don't have to be the most motivating for anyone else -- it's whatever gets you excited and feeling like moving is a good thing) so that in the morning they'll be easier for you to call on. Maybe write them out on a note you keep beside your bed, so that you'll see it before you pull the covers up over your head for an extra snooze. I find that first thing in the morning, it's ridiculously hard to remember why I thought something was important the night before! LOL

I try to get up an hour or more before our start time, because I absolutely can't go without a light breakfast, but if I eat breakfast too close to the workout, I'll get sick. I also have water during that time, and as needed during the run/walks. A full stomach would slow me down, but water doesn't seem to bother me. Maybe instead of drinking a lot of water at once, sip a little over a longer period of time?You might want to try some ome coffee or black tea to help get you ready. Caffeine prior to a cardio workout has been shown to help people get going, last longer, and do better.

On run days, that's it's my number one priority, and everything else is secondary. The bed will wait until after your run - run first, make the bed later! I've heard of some people sleeping in their workout clothes so they would be one step closer to following through when the clock went off in the morning.

Also, if you can buddy up with someone, get a friend to run with you, or find a running group in your area, that might help a lot. The concrete "X time at Y location" can be an outside motivator, and it is so much more enjoyable to run with other people! There are probably lots of ways to find groups if none of your friends are interested in joining you - MeetUp.com, running sites, people training for a local race, etc.