Beyond sore - how to exercise??

Options
Well, a few days ago I began Level 2 of the 30DS. I've done the 30DS before and it's not terribly hard at all, but I knew I was going to still experience some soreness because of all the new muscle involvement. Anyways, I was not expecting the soreness that I got from stepping (with an aerobic step, of course) for a couple of hours while watching reruns of America's Next Top Model. Lol. I worked at a constant pace for almost two hours straight, adding in speed intervals during commercial breaks.... :bigsmile: Then, I forgot to stretch afterwards.

So now, with the help of the 30DS and my aerobic step, my calves are so sore, I can barely walk. Honestly! I can actually barely sit down because my calves touch the front of the couch. :cry: So painful... and some extra strength Advil did not help.

I'm supposed to the 30DS again tonight, but I don't see how. Even if I have to skip tonight, I NEED to burn some calories, otherwise I think I'll die of guilt. What should I do?

P.S. I also got my second gardisil shot yesterday, so my entire left arm is also sore. Ah, a bonus, you see!! :grumble:

Replies

• dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Being sore is the worst, sometimes it seems like you're going to die if you move a certain way. If I were you, I would try and workout again today. Once your muscles get warmed up the pain seems to go away. Do as much as you can. If you can't get throught it, skip a day and try again.
    I have found that if you take two suppliments of BCAA (Branch chain amino acids) and glutamine, it helps your muscles heal faster and less soreness. You should be able to pick up both tablets at a health food store. While there look for a "recovery drink" as well, these help with rebuiling your muscles as well.

Good Luck!
    Diana
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bump... I did my first Insanity Fit Test Monday night and have been so sore since then I haven't been able to do another workout from it... I did do the elliptical Tuesday and yesterday but I am STILL sore and thinking about doing it again already makes me want to cry! :sad:
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    I know the feeling. Have you tried icing your calves? I find hat can sometimes take the edge of the soreness. The best way I've found to cope is stretching regularly even when its sore and trying to do some gentle exercise to keep the muscles moving a little.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take glutamine everyday for this reason and after every workout I have a protein shake, which is filled with Glutamine and other amino acids to help the muscle recovery. I have found after doing this my muscles will still get sore but not nearly as bad. As far as working out tonight, I would go for it, once you get the muscles warmed it will help them feel better. Stretch before and after. You may not be able to workout as hard but a light workout is always better than no workout.