Another yummy quinoa recipe!

Options
MB_Positif
MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
I adore quinoa and a friend of mine was having some for lunch the other day and I decided to try to recreate her recipe...I forgot what was probably a key ingredient, but because I did, the sodium was lower than it would have been and it was still tasty!

1 cup dry quinoa, cook according to package directions add the chili powder to the cooking water or broth(here's where I messed up on her recipe, she cooked her quinoa in a Thai broth, I was going to use Vegetable Broth b/c I couldn't find Thai broth at my store)
1 large zucchini, diced w/ skin on (about 2 cups)
1 8oz. package sliced white mushrooms
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder

1. Cook quinoa with water or broth, include the 1 tsp. chili powder in liquid. Allow quinoa to be almost fully cooked before starting veggies.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add veggies, salt & pepper, saute until lightly tender. Add the quinoa and any cooking liquid left in pot to the pan, stir together and allow to simmer on low until the liquid is all gone.

I had it cold for lunch today, but I think I would actually serve it warm as a side dish too. It was great when I tasted it while it was warm last night. Could be great over a bed of baby spinach too.

Nutrition info:

240 calories, 39 g carbs, 7 g fat, 9 g protein, 4 g fiber, 150mg sodium

Replies

• melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Thanks! I'm liking the spinach idea...
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That sounds SO good. I'm going to make this, Thanks!
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm looks supppper tasty! Thank you for posting! :)
  • Antlerdancer
    Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I HEART quinoa! The hubs and I eat it under red beans n rice, ratatouille, etc.
    Here is a fave recipe of mine, though it's not "exact":

1 eggplant
    2 zucchini
    2 yellow squash
    tblsp or more of minced garlic
    chicken broth or veggie broth
    olive oil
    salt, pepper, whatever spices you wanna put.
    Chopped onion - 1 onion
    1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes - again, I use whatever I have. Sometime Rotel, sometimes just tomatoes, etc.

Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil - just a bit - don't need a lot. Add all your funky spices including salt and pep. I usually use basil, oregano with some Tony Chachere's.
    Throw in crockpot. top with chopped/diced zucchini, squash and eggplant. Throw in the canned tomatoes, not drained. Top with broth. Turn on low or high depending on how much time you have. Stir occasionally. Add more spices. If you have a parmesan cheese rind, throw that in the pot, too. (They have just the rinds for sale at Whole Foods!)

I eat this over a bowl of quinoa. Soo good! And, I'm not a vegetable lover but this stuff is the shiz!! YUM!