Frustrated - no progress

Options

Replies

• thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel like a plateau is just a simple sign that you have to make another change
  • jademflynn
    jademflynn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jademflynn wrote: »
    • Quit the alcohol, completely. It's empty calories.
    • Calculate your BMR and TDEE to create your custom daily calorie and macro-nutrient goals.
    • Cut out all pre-packaged meals/snacks and processed food.
    • Create a weekly meal plan of healthy homemade meals, with all ingredients weighed in the recipe. Add these meals to your MFP app so you can log them daily.
    • Log every single thing you consume, 80% of the time isn't good enough.
    • Log a food or drink just before you consume it.
    • If you wish to exercise, allocate a specific time each day to commit yourself to it.

I know this looks tough but it sounds like you need to work on self-discipline when it comes to calorie counting and exercise.

1. Not necessary to quit alcohol if it is logged correctly and doesn't cause munchies.
    2. Not necessary to create custom TDEE. MFP has done the work. MFP is designed so that exercise calories are added and a portion are consumed.
    3. No need to cut out processed or prepackaged foods if they're weighed and logged correctly
    4. One can log the day before (pre plan) if they wish. Just as long as the food is logged, then that's okay. Sometimes I log just as I am eating something, but I mostly long a week in advance.
    5. No need to exercise at a specific time of day every day. If OP wants to exercise, it's all good just as long as they stick to it

1. I disagree. Calories consumed should be nutritious and be conducive towards weight loss. Alcohol decreases inhibitions and provides no sensation of satiety, increasing the likelihood an individual will eat impulsively. The liver has to process the alcohol, rather than doing its regular job of metabolising fat, causing the body to seek energy from the alcoholic beverage rather than using its own fat stores. Sure, people can choose to drink alcohol "in moderation" whilst losing weight, but cutting out the alcohol removes one weight-gain variable.
    2. MFP does not do the work, as it creates very generic calorie and macro goals.
    3. I think in this case she should as she can then become more aware of what she is consuming. It is vey easy to rip open a packet and not really think about what you're eating. Plus, a calorie is not just a calorie. The body tends to absorb more calories from processed foods, as it requires less energy to process these items. Unprocessed foods tend to require more energy from the body to break them down. Cooking and preparing meals from scratch means she has to think about exactly what is going into her body and discourages mindless eating.
    4. If she logs everything before she eats it, then it means temptations outside of her meal plan will require her to make a more informed decision. It also means if she logs a treat item she can then decide whether she wants to eat all of it.
    5. Every person should be engaging in some for of exercise each day to maintain good health.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

How you have to deal with alcohol is not the hard and fast rule for how everyone else has to deal with alcohol. I've lost over 125 lbs still drinking alcohol. New Year's Party, I planned for it and drank. Halloween, planned and drank. My birthday... planned for. Ever heard the term "Discretionary Calories"? Just because someone else wants 100% of their calories to be perfect little nutritional bombs doesn't mean I have to do the same. Once I've met my nutritional needs, if I have calories left, it's up to me how I decide to use them. You find what works for you, I'll find want works for me. It might be the same thing, it might not.

The brain derives pleasure from consuming a psychoactive substance due to its temporary altering of mental state, the body is left to process the toxins present in alcohol and its normal level of functioning is impaired (fat metabolism). Yes, it is your choice if you wish to consume alcohol as it is a legal substance, but lets be perfectly clear here: you consume alcohol because you are enjoying the side-effects of a drug, not because you are trying to improve your physical wellbeing by drinking it. As I stated above, people can still lose weight drinking alcohol in moderation, but abstaining from alcohol removes one influential variable towards weight loss. I offered a list of things that would contribute towards the desired outcome (weight loss) and there's nothing wrong with pointing out that alcohol impacts this.
  • jademflynn
    Options
    • Calculate your BMR and TDEE to create your custom daily calorie and macro-nutrient goals.
    • Create a weekly meal plan of healthy homemade meals, with all ingredients weighed in the recipe. Add these meals to your MFP app so you can log them daily.
    • If you wish to exercise, allocate a specific time each day to commit yourself to it.

I know this looks tough but it sounds like you need to work on self-discipline when it comes to calorie counting and exercise.

1. Not necessary to quit alcohol if it is logged correctly and doesn't cause munchies.
    2. Not necessary to create custom TDEE. MFP has done the work. MFP is designed so that exercise calories are added and a portion are consumed.
    3. No need to cut out processed or prepackaged foods if they're weighed and logged correctly
    4. One can log the day before (pre plan) if they wish. Just as long as the food is logged, then that's okay. Sometimes I log just as I am eating something, but I mostly long a week in advance.
    5. No need to exercise at a specific time of day every day. If OP wants to exercise, it's all good just as long as they stick to it

1. I disagree. Calories consumed should be nutritious and be conducive towards weight loss. Alcohol decreases inhibitions and provides no sensation of satiety, increasing the likelihood an individual will eat impulsively. The liver has to process the alcohol, rather than doing its regular job of metabolising fat, causing the body to seek energy from the alcoholic beverage rather than using its own fat stores. Sure, people can choose to drink alcohol "in moderation" whilst losing weight, but cutting out the alcohol removes one weight-gain variable.
    2. MFP does not do the work, as it creates very generic calorie and macro goals.
    3. I think in this case she should as she can then become more aware of what she is consuming. It is vey easy to rip open a packet and not really think about what you're eating. Plus, a calorie is not just a calorie. The body tends to absorb more calories from processed foods, as it requires less energy to process these items. Unprocessed foods tend to require more energy from the body to break them down. Cooking and preparing meals from scratch means she has to think about exactly what is going into her body and discourages mindless eating.
    4. If she logs everything before she eats it, then it means temptations outside of her meal plan will require her to make a more informed decision. It also means if she logs a treat item she can then decide whether she wants to eat all of it.
    5. Every person should be engaging in some for of exercise each day to maintain good health.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

How you have to deal with alcohol is not the hard and fast rule for how everyone else has to deal with alcohol. I've lost over 125 lbs still drinking alcohol. New Year's Party, I planned for it and drank. Halloween, planned and drank. My birthday... planned for. Ever heard the term "Discretionary Calories"? Just because someone else wants 100% of their calories to be perfect little nutritional bombs doesn't mean I have to do the same. Once I've met my nutritional needs, if I have calories left, it's up to me how I decide to use them. You find what works for you, I'll find want works for me. It might be the same thing, it might not.

The brain derives pleasure from consuming a psychoactive substance due to its temporary altering of mental state, the body is left to process the toxins present in alcohol and its normal level of functioning is impaired (fat metabolism). Yes, it is your choice if you wish to consume alcohol as it is a legal substance, but lets be perfectly clear here: you consume alcohol because you are enjoying the side-effects of a drug, not because you are trying to improve your physical wellbeing by drinking it. As I stated above, people can still lose weight drinking alcohol in moderation, but abstaining from alcohol removes one influential variable towards weight loss. I offered a list of things that would contribute towards the desired outcome (weight loss) and there's nothing wrong with pointing out that alcohol impacts this.

So even though you don't know me. You know why I drink?? Really? Did I say, I drank until I was trashed. Woohoo!?? You don't think anyone in this entire world drinks because they like the way something tastes?? I enjoy the taste of my Limoncello. I enjoy the taste of my Amaretto. You know when I can't enjoy the taste of it? When I'm trashed. Did I say I was slamming an Everclear to get wasted? As I stated above, I've lost 125 lbs while including alcohol as an occasional planned part of my discretionary calories. And in my personal case, alcohol as NOT impacted it. Again, please don't make assumptions and blanket statements as if they are the only hard and fast rule that exists. Consuming alcohol is one variable that MAY affect some people, but it is NOT guaranteed to affect everyone. Again, everyone has to find what works for them. *Your* opinions and *your* experiences aren't the law of the land.

Alcohol does not have to be consumed until "trashed" in order to have an effect.
    Chill out.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

So even though you don't know me. You know why I drink?? Really? Did I say, I drank until I was trashed. Woohoo!?? You don't think anyone in this entire world drinks because they like the way something tastes?? I enjoy the taste of my Limoncello. I enjoy the taste of my Amaretto. You know when I can't enjoy the taste of it? When I'm trashed. Did I say I was slamming an Everclear to get wasted? As I stated above, I've lost 125 lbs while including alcohol as an occasional planned part of my discretionary calories. And in my personal case, alcohol as NOT impacted it. Again, please don't make assumptions and blanket statements as if they are the only hard and fast rule that exists. Consuming alcohol is one variable that MAY affect some people, but it is NOT guaranteed to affect everyone. Again, everyone has to find what works for them. *Your* opinions and *your* experiences aren't the law of the land.

Alcohol does not have to be consumed until "trashed" in order to have an effect.
    Chill out.

And you're still offering a stranger advice based on your *assumptions* of their actions. It doesn't work that way. I'm done.
  • jademflynn
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Wow. I can't even.

So I'm drinking my evening glass of wine because I need my fix, and not because I enjoy the taste? That's a really insulting (and kind of stupid) assumption.

Oh for goodness sake. Everything psychological is biological. There is nothing wrong with describing the neurological mechanisms underpinning human behaviour and cognition. Every human enjoys the effects of various substances due to their effect on the brain. Fact. If your own biology insults you, that has nothing to do with me.

All I discussed was the effects alcohol has on the body's organs and I've been accused by other users of implying they get "trashed", that I'm imposing law on other people, that I'm not being scientific or that I'm accusing people of looking for a "fix". Instead of jumping down my throat and getting upset and emotional, you and the other person here should have asked for clarification on my statements.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Wow. I can't even.

So I'm drinking my evening glass of wine because I need my fix, and not because I enjoy the taste? That's a really insulting (and kind of stupid) assumption.

Oh for goodness sake. Everything psychological is biological. There is nothing wrong with describing the neurological mechanisms underpinning human behaviour and cognition. Every human enjoys the effects of various substances due to their effect on the brain. Fact. If your own biology insults you, that has nothing to do with me.

All I discussed was the effects alcohol has on the body's organs and I've been accused by other users of implying they get "trashed", that I'm imposing law on other people, that I'm not being scientific or that I'm accusing people of looking for a "fix". Instead of jumping down my throat and getting upset and emotional, you and the other person here should have asked for clarification on my statements.

I thought you were pretty clear in your views.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm off to enjoy my vino (culturally acceptable as an Italian. We don't drink it to illicit any form of psychological effect btw).
  • emlouda11
    emlouda11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cycling is something I try to do (6mile round trip to work and back). I can't run as it causes severe head pain (chiari 1), I do what I can.

Calorie deficit most days is 1000+ calories as I usually knock up more than 10,000 steps a day, climb 3 floors (6flights) when I can, and exercise typically 5times a week if not more.

Perhaps packets and MFP calories are wrong, but if that's the case, how on Earth are you supposed to accurately track calories if you base your calculations on inaccurate sources (and from approx 50% of posts on here it seems all sources are incorrect)?

So, trial and error it is. At this rate all I'll be eating is broth (joke!).
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    From what you said it's the weekends that are causing you problems, maybe if you described what you usually do on a weekend we may be more helpful. Socialising, family get togethers, watching tv?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've read quickly through this thread, I honestly think the problem is what you're doing at the weekend is undoing your good work during the week. I know that was the case for me when I was trying to lose. I decided to increase my deficit during the week to account for weekend eating but I also had to be more accountable for the calories I consumed over the weekend.
    The fact is you would be losing if you were eating at calorie deficit so something is not quite right.

• emlouda11
    Options
    A typical weekend is 2 meals a day: brunch and evening meal. One day, typically Saturday, will involve a meal with my OH at a restaurant- no desert, sometimes a shared starter.
    Brunch is usually a bacon sandwich (no butter). Yes, I do usually have a few beers on a Saturday night.
    Sunday, I usually do brunch and a homecooked meal.

Typical deficit in the week is approx 1000-1300 calories each day, if you take into account excercise as calculated by Fitbit.
  • emlouda11
    Options
    Typical week day:
    pypxbkzmgvui.png
    bj78u4unp9te.png
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've read quickly through this thread, I honestly think the problem is what you're doing at the weekend is undoing your good work during the week. I know that was the case for me when I was trying to lose. I decided to increase my deficit during the week to account for weekend eating but I also had to be more accountable for the calories I consumed over the weekend.
    The fact is you would be losing if you were eating at calorie deficit so something is not quite right.

For myself, I'm going to try create this approach using 5/2 fasting when I reach maintenance mode.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Considering the state of your diary (and a goal that is half the minimum required amount on here), I'm going to have to go with "nope" to a lot of this.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I am going to say something that comes off as rude, but it's really just blunt honesty. You're not tracking your calories properly. Either you are eating more than 1400 calories a day, or you are splurging on other days and undoing any progress. I'm sorry for the bluntness but there is no other solution than to get serious about counting calories and staying in a deficit.

On the other hand, if you're hyperboling and just haven't lost weight for a week, plateaus are common, you can google lyle mcdonald's article on wooshes and squishy fat for explanation of how that works.

/blunt honesty
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Posting a "typical day" and showing one Monday of logging isn't going to give us any insight.
    You're not being specific enough with your logging, and I'm guessing you're undoing it all on the weekends. A "bacon sandwich" could be 250-1000 calories. "A few beers" could be over 1,000 calories. "Brunch" could be 2,000+ calories.
    If you can't or won't open your diary so people can take a look and give more detailed pointers, then there's really nothing else to say.
  • emlouda11
    Options
    No hyperboling, in the last 3months I've stayed roughly the same weight (+/- 3lbs).

So either all the foods I'm tracking are wrong, the deficit is calculated incorrectly or I'm eating approx 9000+ extra calories on a weekend.

As an addition to the alcohol comments, when I gave up alcohol for charity for over a month and replaced it with low cal drinks (water/diet drinks) I didn't lose anything then either. Weird.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That high of a calorie adjustment seems off to me unless you got a Lot of activity.

"1 banana" can be anything, and your portions are tiny. You really had exactly 200 grams of chicken in sauce?

Edited to add: I literally walked 50,323 steps on Saturday which was nearly 22 miles, got a Fitbit adjustment of 2,133 calories. Just for comparison, I know the calculations can vary some but that seems pretty high to me.