Am I supposed to be eating my excercise calories?

Options
Getting frustrated after starting back up two weeks ago -- getting back on track. I've never had a straight understanding so...am I supposed to be eating my exercise calories or not??

Thanks! :)

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    And you probably won't get a straight answer. Try it both ways and find what works for you.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yes! mfp already builds in a deficit, so any extra calories earned by exercise are free game :o)
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i haven't been for the last 6 months and it hasn't really worked for me so now am going to just exercise enough to eat back all my cals and see what happens.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Eat the amount that MFP has you set up to eat.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've frustrated myself with this one... I am thinking that for steady progress, the answer is no. I had been eating them back in the past, and have had minimal luck, maximum frustration... I just restarted back, and am thinking I will no longer eat my exercise calories.
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    Thanks! I think I've been starving myself these last couple weeks...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You know... someone asked this same question just 16 minutes prior.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/296707-eating-back-your-calories

It's quite a topic of debate - but if you want success the MFP way you'll go with what they suggest.

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Since I first started MFP in February, I hadn't eaten my exercise calories back....almost 50 pounds seemed to melt away.
    Then, for whatever reason this past week, I ate back part of them.....Didn't lose a thing.
    Some people will tell you yes, some people will tell you no.
    You need to try both and see which ones brings you the success you want to see.
    Best of luck!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Food = Fuel.
    Food is not the enemy. You need to replenish the calories you burn because MFP already creates a deficit based on your goals.

Simple answer: Yes, you should be eating your exercise calories.

Better answer: Use the MFP search tool and type in: "700 calories a day" and read the thread that results. Or search "eating exercise calories" and be prepared to read all night :flowerforyou:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*

SEARCH FUNCTION, FOLKS!!!!! USE IT!!!!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You know... someone asked this same question just 16 minutes prior.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/296707-eating-back-your-calories

It's quite a topic of debate - but if you want success the MFP way you'll go with what they suggest.

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

I love everything about this response. Especially that second link. GREAT info there!
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat 100-200 of mine, this is working for me so far. like others have said, everyone's different. but if you are going to eat them all, be careful if you're going by how many calories MFP have said you've burnt, because they sometimes can be an exaggeration. if you've got a HRM and you know exactly how many calories, it's fine :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*

SEARCH FUNCTION, FOLKS!!!!! USE IT!!!!

thank you!
  • menacingsprite
    menacingsprite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with the statement where food isn't the enemy. Everything in moderation is the reality. I think some of the exercise calories are wrong. But you do have to replenish the calories you use for exercise because like it's already been said, MFP already puts in a defeceit, and eating those calories is important or you'll begin to lose energy and put your body into starvation mode and you'll lose slower and when you do eat your body will store that as fat immediately.

Short answer is yes.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I believe you should eat work out calories. BUT BUT BUT it depends on what you list as a workout and did you REALLY burn that many calories...This losing weight is not an exact science. You cant even trust how many calories are actually in that chicken breast so how can you trust how many calories you are burning...You have to do what you feel is necessary for your body. I think a little buffer is good but a large one..not so much..
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    Thank you to all of those who cared enough to reply WITHOUT a sarcastic remark. I do apologize for not using the "search function"...I'm not familiar with the message boards and was seriously in a state of panic/crying fit when I posted my question. As much as I want to tell you all what you can do with your snotty comments, I'm better than that. It must be so nice in your perfect little worlds that you have time to go around and point out flaws... good for you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said Op, play around and see what happens. I can eat all, none or some of mine and still lose weight.. crazy I know, but it's true. It also depends on how hard I'm working.. when I lift I eat more.. if I'm just doing cardio, I tend to eat less.

Don't let the rude ones get to you.. People have nothing better to do then sit around all day and whine because new people don't understand everything yet..
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    Like everyone else said Op, play around and see what happens. I can eat all, none or some of mine and still lose weight.. crazy I know, but it's true. It also depends on how hard I'm working.. when I lift I eat more.. if I'm just doing cardio, I tend to eat less.

Don't let the rude ones get to you.. People have nothing better to do then sit around all day and whine because new people don't understand everything yet..

Thank you! :wink:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    depends...

do you want to look like this?
    fit-women-18.jpg

or like this?
    anorexic_girls_01.jpg
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat mine, and if I do, I replace those exercise-gained calories with something like a Praeventia bar (don't let its size fool you, it's really filling!), banana, something small, healthy, and filling.