Whats your lifting routine?

Options
I am trying to fix my weight training rountine. What is your lifting routine, what do you do for each day?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1

Overhead press 5/3/1 + accessories
    Deadlift 5/3/1 + accessories
    Rest
    Bench 5/3/1 + accessories
    Squat 5/3/1 + accessories
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Currently Madcow's version of Bill Starr's routine. I've done many of them Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Texas Method, weird body building routines, Wendler 5/3/1
    Recommendations
    If you are still a novice and want to get strong buy the Starting Strength Book and do the routine
    Intermediate if you want to maximize strength Texas Method
    Intermediate with less aggressive and taxing system, a HML routine, Wendler, Madcow
    Advance - no opinion, as very few are here and I'm not there either
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day, but my typical total body day involves something along these lines:

3 sets/10 reps of either leg presses/barbell squats/goblet squats
    3 sets/10 reps of either behind the back walking barbell lunges/seated leg curl
    3 sets/10 reps of either wide grip lat pull down/dumbbell shoulder press
    3 sets/12 reps of seated cable rows
    3 sets/10 reps of incline dumbbell bench press
    3 sets/10 reps dumbbell flies
    3 sets/10 reps pullups (assisted)
    3 sets/10 reps of either tricep dips/triceps push down
    3 sets/10 reps of crunches with weighted resistance
    3 sets/10 reps lying leg lifts with weights

Now, I recently started a new program. Once I'm 4 weeks into it, my routine will change. I'll know longer be doing full body, rather focusing on push and pull exercises on different days.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Whole body routine: abs, back, legs, chest, shoulders, usually in that order. I rotate exercises based on how bored I get with each routine. The only limitation I have is legs, where I avoid squats because of a problem in my ankle limiting how well I can handle a lot of weight, the rest are pretty much a rotation of the basic exercises that can target these groups.
    After trying several routines over the years, what I have found to work for me, is 3 sets, starting with 8 reps, working my way up to 12 reps over the weeks at which point I can increase the weight. Not a strength-oriented routine, but this is not my basic goal at this point.
    I occasionally add some isolation work, if/when I feel it is needed.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I tried Starting Strength, but as a novice, I had better luck with the 5/3/1 (doing Boring But Big, 4days a week, similar to @jessef593 ). The squats on starting strength were too much for me as a beginner for some reason.

If you aren't used to programming and all that, I'd recommend getting a book (either Starting Strength or Wendler's 5/3/1) and following the plan for at least one cycle. Then you can figure out if you want to branch out on your own and do other stuff.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I train 4 days per week.

I squat 3 days per week, I bench 4 days per week, I deadlift 1 to 2 days per week.

All of the above is done in a variety of rep ranges AND intensity each week. So for example I will have high volume and low/moderate load, moderate volume/moderate load, low volume/heavy load.

As I progress from week to week, load gradually increases and volume gradually decreases.

I deload every 4-5 weeks and repeat. If I am prepping for a meet, which I usually am, each mesocycle will increase in intensity and decrease in volume.

I add to this a mix of accessory movements mainly just to get additional training volume in.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5/3/1 as well.

I did Stronglifts 5x5 for about 8 months and really liked it but the progression was getting to be too much for me and the squatting 3x a week was getting tough. But it was really good at developing strength for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Typically I follow a glute focused full body program 4 times per week, it is similar to Strong Curves.

But right now I am on a two month hypertrophy program, where I do glute work 5-6x per week.
    My week looks something like this:

Monday: Glutes only
    Tuesday: Rest day
    Wednesday: Upper Body + Glutes
    Thursday: Lower Body
    Friday: Upper Body + Glutes
    Sat: Glutes only
    Sun: Lower Body
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I do AllPro.
    Rep (8-12) before weigh progression, x3, one heavy, one medium, one light days week.
    If I have a busy week I will do 2 heavy instead.

I progress slow, but I am in no rush so will sometimes run a particular weight or rep range a week or so longer than most would.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    lnmuse wrote: »
    I am trying to fix my weight training rountine. What is your lifting routine, what do you do for each day?

My routine is tailored to my goals, abilities, and preferences.. which are probably different than yours.. so i won't waste your time with it. But i'm happy to help "fix" your routine if you post it, and give us info about your goals, and what equipment you have available. :+1:
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Currently doing P90X by Tony Horton. I've also done the P90 old version and the new version I really like it taking the summer off going to work out light modified P90X workout and then in the fall I'm going to do P90X3
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Wendler 5/3/1

Overhead press 5/3/1 + accessories
    Deadlift 5/3/1 + accessories
    Rest
    Bench 5/3/1 + accessories
    Squat 5/3/1 + accessories

Same and seeing good progress esp for being in a calorie deficit.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Depends on mood,energy level. Usually 4 times a week,every other day.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    3 times a week, upper/lower. I've been going back and forth with doing a 3 times a week full body routine.
  • vessiangel
    vessiangel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    5 workouts a week:
    Chest
    Legs
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Back

Abs after every workout and 15 min light cardio.
    My rest days are for groceries and meal prep.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the 531 routine and am very happy with it. It's not too demanding like SL or SS, but will give you good results more slowly as long as you're patient. I've done both of those programs and got burned out and stalled relatively quickly due to the 3x a week squats etc. I'm doing the beginner template to get in more volume and it works well for me because I'm not quite at intermediate level yet. My routine is this:

Day 1 - Squat/bench 3 sets of each, # of reps varies depending on the week you're in.
    3 sets of DB bench
    3 sets of chin ups

Day 2 - Deadlift/overhead press 3 sets of each, reps vary.
    3 sets of DB rows
    3 sets of farmer's walks

Day 3 - Squat/bench 3x5
    3 sets of lying triceps extensions
    3 sets of chin ups
    3 sets of hanging leg lifts
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    If you aren't used to programming and all that, I'd recommend getting a book (either Starting Strength or Wendler's 5/3/1) and following the plan for at least one cycle. Then you can figure out if you want to branch out on your own and do other stuff.

i'd get behind that -i did stronglifts with starting strength as my form bible, and now on wendler.

except i'd say give it more cycles than one. with wendler especially, because wendler intentionally starts you off low so as to give you room to lay down a base before you come anywhere near any challenge level. so imo if you give it up after only one round, then you've sort of wasted the time. it might let you make up your mind whether you even like doing those four lifts, i suppose. but in terms of how much progress you'd make . . . yeah, a waste.

starting strength/stronglifts are less like that. but that's because if you follow the ss recommendations for finding 'your' working weights, you're starting off a lot closer to your own ceiling. there aren't really any cycles in a linear programme liek those anyway, so where you cut it off would be sort of arbitrary.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I reshifted my routine for the minimal time I have and to maximize my terrible recovery after getting ill yet again.

A - Squat
    B - OHP
    C - Deadlift
    D - Bench

ABCxADCx

Add 5 lbs a session 3x5 until I can't, then drop back to 1x5 top set with 2x5 drop sets at 90% 5RM and add between 1.25 and 5lbs every session until I can't.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Train 6 days a week...
    Current split:
    Chest & triceps
    Back & Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Rest
    Repeat

Workouts vary each time. Too much to list an example of each day.

Right now I'm using lighter weight & in the 12 - 15 rep range.

Depending on your goals and experience level your workouts will be different & I couldn't recommend anything without knowing some info. Just do some online reasearch and taylor one to your needs.