Does weight come off your calves?

Options
2»

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Mine is moving - I'll never have thing calves I guess but now I am heading towards the middle of my BMI there is a definite change noticeable.
    My legs and bottom have always been my body fat storage area of preference. I am really quite bottom heavy, while my upper body stays reasonably thin until very late in the overweight/early obese time. Never went over an M/EU38 at top. Bottom another story.
    My bottom/thighs really did not get into line with the upper part until I hit my healthy BMI. I had some fat pockets in the inner knee - they have gone now. Lower legs/calves as said are starting now Long hard road but getting there

I credit walking an awful lot and doing weight training with this change in body appearance
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    My husband once asked his coach how he could get bigger calves. "Genetics."

My calves (5'9", 140) are as big as hubby's (6'4", 235). They will get a little smaller as you lose weight, but you'll likely never have tiny legs/calves. And that's okay. The tricky thing is finding boots.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    It certainly does. Last year I had to wear wide shaft knee boots in winter. This year I have a regular pair, and I can shove my hands inside the wide shaft ones they are so big.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose from your calves. Before I could only wear mid calf boots slouched down. Now I'm in over the knee boots :) My calves are more shapely from running, plyometrics, and lifting. I can see my inner and outer ankle bones now, no more cankles! I think the secret is just fat loss and high rep work.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I never thought much about it, but I saw my vascular surgeon this morning to get a new prescription for compression stockings and I'm down from a large to a medium, so something's gotten smaller...
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think my calves don't change, but measurements say they do. It also depends on genetic. Mine are near their absolute limit unless I lose muscle. Everyone is a little different. Body weight calf raises and walking or running can have an impact. Good luck.

Also what do the calves look like for your family members? That plays a role too. My calves are pretty much a clone of my dad's.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Since I was a normal-weight child, I've had large calves, knees and ankles as well. Wearing dresses/shorts has never been fun! One of my children got my large calves, and the other got Dad's slender ones.

I've dropped 40 pounds, and my calves did get smaller.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Genetically I have bigger/fatter calves than many. While it might not feel like I'm losing there, I am. They're just shrinking in proportion with everything else, so they are still proportionally big but smaller by measurement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!