Anyone want to help me choose my menu choice? :)

Options
So, it's Friday, and in Wisconsin that means Fish Fry!! So here's the menu of a new place I'm going with my family tonight.

http://www.cornerstonesportspub.com/uploads/Fish_Fry_Menu.pdf

My plan is to go with the baked cod and choose potato pancakes (I'll only eat one of them) and skip the rye bread and coleslaw. I might have to try the pineapple fritter. :) I have a calorie estimate in mind, but I'm curious what you guys would choose and how many calories you would estimate for the meal? I like getting a second opinion! Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out with this!

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What kind of coleslaw are we talking about? Mayo based or vinegar based? That would help me make up my mind a little better. But my choice would probably be the Spanish fish fry.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    thanks for making me hungry! the baked cod is probably your best bet but nothing else could be considered healthy.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got the right idea with the baked fish, seems like the only thing not fried unless you could order the broiled chicken separate. I would have to at least taste the pineapple fritter.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    12 oz. is a LOT of fish. I'd probably go with the baked but have some bread and no cole slaw and half of the fish and potatoes, then take the rest of the fish and potatoes home in a box and have it for lunch the next day.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    The (unbreaded) cod.

By the way that is not a menu it's a cocktail napkin.... Just sayin' not a lot of choices there..
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The baked cod would clearly be the most healthy by far, definitely ditch the drawn butter part of it as well. I calculate that what you said should be about (assuming there's nothing crazy in the potato pancakes like cheese or sour cream) 1000 calories if you have the fritter with the maple butter. Without the fritter I'd say more like about 500.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It all sounds delicious. I avoid these kinds of places like the plague since I have such a long road ahead. But if you are doing well and can handle a night off the wagon, I think you have made some yummy choices. Maybe put half in a box to take to a loved one since servings are probably generous.
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'd go with: baked cod, 1 potato pancake, and the pineapple fritter without the maple butter... if you dont want the coleslaw see if they can substitute it for a side salad. =)
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I think your plan is pretty good - given the menu! No butter on the cod! If the coleslaw is vinegar dressing based - eat it, if mayo based - don't. The potato pancakes are likely deep fried or fried in oil - they can load some calories and that fritter - depending on the size could add another 300 or more!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What you chose sounds good (baked cod, with potato pancake). I'd eat half (including the coleslaw, but not the rye bread) and bring the other half home to eat tomorrow. I'd skip the pineapple fritter.
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The (unbreaded) cod.

By the way that is not a menu it's a cocktail napkin.... Just sayin' not a lot of choices there..

Haha I know!!! Kinda frustrating when basically the whole menu is deep-fried...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I had a baked walleye fillet at Red Lobster recently, and it was actually low-cal, so the baked cod should be similar.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Actually this is just the fish fry menu. On the other side of the menu offers a grilled chicken sandwich that may work. No mayo, no fries have a house salad with it.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would get the cajun chicken salad, dressing on the side. Maybe oil&vinegar or a light dressing instead of ranch if they have it.

Disclaimer: I looked the up full menu. Also, I hate seafood. Hate hate hate. :sick: