should I work out if I am still sore?

Options
I did a new fitness routine on weds that really kicked my but and I am still really sore all over today, not as bad as yesterday though, but I can feel it, and I took the day off yesterday, just did some stretching, thats all. So I was thinking about going to the gym again today do you think that is a good idea?

Replies

• SweetStrawberry
    Options
    ummmm yes... I work out everyday even when I'm sore its addicting
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i would...especially if its just soreness and not an injury
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body... Try pilates or yoga to stretch out n still burn come calories.. As for me I find I feel better if i continue my workout regime ...If Im really bad I will take my day off early... But #1 Listen to your body!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would. Find some cardio that doesn't hurt your soreness too much (elliptical on low resistance but at a fast pace, maybe? Or treadmill walking, on an incline if you aren't too sore in your butt and hamstrings) and just do it for a long time to get some burn in and get the blood pumping through those rebuilding muscles. I've heard that getting some activity in helps with soreness.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes - just do what you can. If you take too long off, you'll just have to start over & be sore again next time
  • d1turner
    d1turner Posts: 4
    Options
    I have found that if I work out when I am still sore, it actually helps. As long as you're sore from a workout and not having a specific muscle or joint pain. When I am sore from a tough workout, I usually start my cardio really light and then as I get into it and my body loosens up, I feel even better and find myself working even harder. The hardest part is just telling yourself that it's not an excuse to nix the workout (I was guilty of that for a long time). Hope this helps :)
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    By working out, you get more blood flowing to and from your muscles. This will removed some of the lactic acid from your muscles. Sore is sore, but I think once you warm up, you'll feel better!
  • vintagefool
    Options
    As long as it's just muscle soreness and not pain/injury, I'm sure it's fine (esp if you're not doing the same aforementioned class that kicked your butt so hard :laugh: ) :flowerforyou: Sometimes I actually find exercising the muscles again eases the soreness a bit.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I work out when I am still sore, it actually helps. As long as you're sore from a workout and not having a specific muscle or joint pain. When I am sore from a tough workout, I usually start my cardio really light and then as I get into it and my body loosens up, I feel even better and find myself working even harder. The hardest part is just telling yourself that it's not an excuse to nix the workout (I was guilty of that for a long time). Hope this helps :)

True that, definitely my experience!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    ok, yea it is not an injury just really pushed myself with heavy weights and alot of reps in a class. Ok so it is back to the grindstone lol. I did take yesterday off so they could heal a little bit since it was a full body work out. And boy I couldnt move, I still went to work and that gets my heart rate up but as soon as I came home I had to pass out and take a nap lol, sleep to speed the healing is what I called it ;)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give? Listen to your body. It will tell you if it is ready to workout or not. If you can barely walk, sit down, stand up from the sitting position, etc then I would recommend NOT working out again. However, it is mild soreness - you should be fine. Just start off slow and see how your body responds.

Always listen to your body. It knows what it can and can't handle.

(and if this is chronic pain or something that keeps flaring up - PLEASE do not ignore it. I ignored continued pain in my right hip when I first started working out a lot and ended up with a stress fracture in it)
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    lol well I personally stay sore. I don't know that it will ever get any easier. I feel your pain but we have to keep on keeping on. We can do this!!
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    chevy88grl you look amazing, good job girl!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    chevy88grl you look amazing, good job girl!!

Thanks! :)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Work out a different set of muscles and let those rest. You can do some light stretching today. Tomorrow, maybe work them out again, but not strenuously.

I also have a little trick: If I exercise a lot, e.g. go out dancing for a few hours, I'll come home and take a warm shower or soak in the tub for a few minutes. I am almost never sore the next day. This doesn't always work if I wait until morning.

Some light stretches before bed don't hurt either. :glasses:
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    the most neglected and often ignored part of any fitness plan is Rest.

Exercise is a stress on the body and the adaptations from exercise happen when you're resting BETWEEN workout sessions.

Being sore is a sign that your body isn't fully recovered from the stress and still adapting. Pushing through the soreness won't have you reach your goals faster.

Taking an extra rest day will have you come back stronger to do more in your next workout!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You do need to give your muscles a day off if it's from resistance training (that's why most people work only one part of their body a day - to work out every day but give each muscle group that day off). But if it's mostly cardio, you can do that and just listen to your body.

BTW, you kind of get addicted to that day-after sore feeling after a while. It's like, if you don't get it, you wonder if you really worked hard enough the day before! LOL
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    the most neglected and often ignored part of any fitness plan is Rest.

Exercise is a stress on the body and the adaptations from exercise happen when you're resting BETWEEN workout sessions.

Being sore is a sign that your body isn't fully recovered from the stress and still adapting. Pushing through the soreness won't have you reach your goals faster.

Taking an extra rest day will have you come back stronger to do more in your next workout!

That is kind of what I was thinking. And since this class works the WHOLE body, and I mean WHOLE body as in muscles I didnt even remember that I had. So I think I am going to take another rest day from the gym and just do some yoga. I dont want these muscles getting really tight on me. I still have a hard time getting to a sitting position or back up from a sitting position. So now I know that I need to work on my lower body more as that is where I am weakest. Thank you all for your advice
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    You do need to give your muscles a day off if it's from resistance training (that's why most people work only one part of their body a day - to work out every day but give each muscle group that day off). But if it's mostly cardio, you can do that and just listen to your body.

BTW, you kind of get addicted to that day-after sore feeling after a while. It's like, if you don't get it, you wonder if you really worked hard enough the day before! LOL

I do LOVE the feeling and it is addicting. A little bit is good. This was so sore that I even had trouble turning over in bed. My honey was like "what is wrong with you?" He is afraid to go to that class with me now lol.