Heart rate....should I be concerned?

Options
I track my resting heart rate using my Fitbit charge and recently I have noticed it go from 50-52 to 44 average over the last two weeks. I have always had a slow heart rate but just curious as to why it has been dropping lower. I have not changed anything with my exercise, 4 days a week followed by light walking on the other 3. Yesterday and today I was more fatigued than usual but I'm chalking it up to my tom. I suffered a hard bout of overtraining this past December so I'm just overly cautious... I know an elevated resting heart rate can show signs of overtraining.

Replies

• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... How long have you been 'training' all in all in terms of time?
    Have you recently begun taking any medication such as calcium channel blockers or beta blockers of any kind? Any antiarrhythmics or anything at all you can think of? Have you noticed any pressure or a kind of stuffiness around your eyes/carotid sinuses? Pains arising which were previously not there? Even things like prolonged coughing or nausea after exercise can have positive correlation to slowing of the heart. Even electrolyte imbalances like potassium increases can slow the heart.

It's hard to say much without knowing anything of your history or situation. Even silly things like temperature/climate changes can affect things like that (admittedly though mostly in infants)

Worth seeing your doctor, to be fair.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Depends.

If you're doing lots of running, it can be normal. If you're having any doubt, I suggest you see your doc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Call the doc office.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I don't know if a Fitbit is the most accurate way of measuring heart rate. A chest strap with electrodes would be more accurate. Your Fitbit could be off.

Have you been eating differently? I know if I eat garlic or fatty fish, my HR drops a bit the next day.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nope not eating anything/taking any different mess. My workouts just consist of 30 min moderate cardio and 30 min moderate weights four times a week so nothing to extreme. This morning I noticed it read 39 while sitting down, I know it's common athletic people to have low heart rates, but I don't really consider myself an athlete considering I only workout 4 times a week. If I continue to feel fatigue and notice a lower rate I will probably get it checked out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your HR manually (finger on neck)? Wondering if the battery in the fitbit needs changing. Also worth checking your blood pressure.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: If it is below 50, it may be a problem and it may not be a problem, but best to let a doctor know.

Mine has been falling steadily as I lose weight. When last measured in February, it was 50.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Mine is often below 50. It seems to be a result of hours upon hours on a bicycle. On the other hand, when my grandmother was living she had a low heart rate and it made it difficult for her to get oxygen at times. It wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor, but other symptoms are needed to determine whether a low resting heart rate is a good thing or a bad thing.

I made a nurse nervous when I broke my pelvis. She when she saw my heart rate was 47 she was about to go looking for a doctor. She relaxed when I told her I'd gotten the same reading that morning before I injured myself.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Have you checked your HR manually (finger on neck)? Wondering if the battery in the fitbit needs changing. Also worth checking your blood pressure.

This is a good point. I had to replace my Garmin chest strap HR monitor because it was showing a HR of 80 even when I was climbing a hill on my bicycle. Replacing the battery didn't help. It is nice to have a device to measure HR, but sometimes the don't work.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    Nope not eating anything/taking any different mess. My workouts just consist of 30 min moderate cardio and 30 min moderate weights four times a week so nothing to extreme. This morning I noticed it read 39 while sitting down, I know it's common athletic people to have low heart rates, but I don't really consider myself an athlete considering I only workout 4 times a week. If I continue to feel fatigue and notice a lower rate I will probably get it checked out.

30-45 mins per day, 5-6 days per week is about where I'm at too, and I've seen my HR drop to the low 40's these days. I think I caught a 38 bpm once.

So, it's probably normal. However, you seem concerned (As did I at first), so have a doc check you out. They can hear anything out of the ordinary, and will probably have your thyroid levels checks (Yes, thyroxin impacts heart rate).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned if that drop happened over an extended period but that's a big change in a short timescale.

Firstly though I would verify the actual HR manually.

(My Polar strap was playing up yesterday and either showing 200+ (death imminent) or zero (already died).
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    I took it manually yesterday and it was spot on. I did check my blood pressure this morning when I woke up 82/57 and my heart rate was 37
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I took it manually yesterday and it was spot on. I did check my blood pressure this morning when I woke up 82/57 and my heart rate was 37

Low blood pressure and low pulse? I suggest a trip to see your doctor...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That does not seem right at all. I'd also advise at least calling your doctor to see what (s)he thinks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yep - that's concerning.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My resting heart rate is between 42-46bpm and trust me I am NOT athletic. It has gone down to 37 bpm. I went to see a cardiologist and they did some test and it turns out my heart is healthy, it's just a bit slow but it is not life threatening.

Go see a cardiologist and have them do the tests. If there is something wrong they can fix it. If there isn't then be happy and carry on.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

Go to the doctor.
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    Thanks for the replies looks like I will be scheduling an appiontment
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Before I started to be concerned at all, I'd measure it with a chest strap instead of a fitbit. If you're gonna be worried, make sure it's really going on first. :wink:
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough water and enough sodium. Mine does that if I'm not on top of it. Nothing to worry about unless you feel dizzy